Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever achieved a first class degree in law from Northumbria?

I am just curious

ReputationRep:
    ?? I am pretty damn sure that at some point some undergrad will have done so. People with the motivation and ability to achieve a first are found across the board of universities.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know but surely!?

ReputationRep:
    cording to unistats, 9% of people get a first class honours there...

http://www.unistats.com/studentAchievement.do

ReputationRep:
    I heard Northumbria have a really good law department.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year in their law department and it's fantastic, not that that really answered your question...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    I'm a first year in their law department and it's fantastic, not that that really answered your question...
    I have an offer from them ABB (considerably lower than the other anticipated and acquired offers of AAA)

I am just trying to decide if it's worth using as an insurance since I am not totally sure I will achieve AAA, so I will likely end up at ABB insurance or in clearing haha :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    I have an offer from them ABB (considerably lower than the other anticipated and acquired offers of AAA)

I am just trying to decide if it's worth using as an insurance since I am not totally sure I will achieve AAA, so I will likely end up at ABB insurance or in clearing haha :p:
    Well, personally (I've only been there since September obviously) I think it's a fantastic course. All the lecturers are really approachable, and the course is very hands on. I felt that when I visited other law schools it was a very traditional, text book approach and while there is also a lot of that at Northumbria, its quite interactive. In year 4 (or it might be 3 I'm not sure) you get to go into the student law office and work on real cases (there was a case a few years ago where students working in there got a man acquitted on an appeal for murder I think) Plus, its considerably cheaper than other schools, you pay an extra £900 a year but dont have to pay massive sums at the end if you want to do a LPC or a BVC.

Mind, you probably already knew all that

ReputationRep:
    You know what I've just been looking through their prospectus again and I think I might firm them. Their course sounds so much more exciting than all of the others I've seen, and I read that third year students/fourth year? get to do real cases. It doesn't have the prestige that some of the others have that I've applied to but the course seems so much better than theirs, it seems like they'd give a lot more support too and be more down to earth.

I don't think I qualify for student accomodation though :/ I may have to buy a car instead, hmmph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aubydoll)
    You know what I've just been looking through their prospectus again and I think I might firm them. Their course sounds so much more exciting than all of the others I've seen, and I read that third year students/fourth year? get to do real cases. It doesn't have the prestige that some of the others have that I've applied to but the course seems so much better than theirs, it seems like they'd give a lot more support too and be more down to earth.

I don't think I qualify for student accomodation though :/ I may have to buy a car instead, hmmph.
    Woah, that's a real committment considering your other great choices?
    Can I ask what offers/rejections you have?

Northumbria seems really good indeed, I just don't know if the added 'niches' Northumbria offer (masters degree, cheaper BVC/LPC, legal advice centre) outweigh the prestige of the top universities.

It's a real dilemma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    Woah, that's a real committment considering your other great choices?
    Can I ask what offers/rejections you have?

Northumbria seems really good indeed, I just don't know if the added 'niches' Northumbria offer (masters degree, cheaper BVC/LPC, legal advice centre) outweigh the prestige of the top universities.

It's a real dilemma.
    Newcastle, Westminster, Northumbria offers. Waiting on Durham & just had an interview for York.

I've spoken to a man who I do work experience with in court and he seems to agree with me, he says it wont affect my chances of getting a good job. It seems that at Northumbria they're a lot more passionate about teaching the law and about their students. It seems that you get a lot more experience at Northumbria.

I'm still considering Newcastle though, I guess I'm going to see after the next week in open days. I agree about the dilemma. When I was first applying Northumbria was the uni I loved, then I got excited about Durham because it reminded me of Harry Potter but Northumbria seems to have more to offer in terms of their degree and everyone I've spoken to absolutely loves it. In terms of prestige, if I get a good degree, have a lot of extra curriculem and experience going on getting a job shouldn't be too much of a problem? I mean Northumbria has a good reputation anyway...

Edit: Okay, definite firm. They sold it to me on their open day. I'll give Newcastle's open day a go on Wednesday and maybe tehy can be my insurance, or York.

ReputationRep:
    I personally chose Northumbria over other Uni's because of the vocational part of the course and obviously the money saved. All I can say is prestige my ****.
    Okay, maybe that is overreacting a bit but to be honest I just wanted something that would allow me to practice the law as I study.
    Nevertheless, there are things that the uni could improve on as a whole. The SU generally is poor and parts of campus look grim (Ellison Building haha). Facilities are overstretched slightly on a regular basis and good luck getting quiet time in the library.
    I was never looking at getting into a top uni for law anyway as I wasnt expecting anywhere near AAA, but Northumbria is good in what it offers. Though it does have room for improvement.

The view of a first year LLB student at Northumbria

PS, forget the prestige bit I apologise for my crudeness

EDIT: on the main point of the topic about anyone ever achieving a first, I'm looking at a First hopefully for the first year along with many others

ReputationRep:
    hi,

i am really interested in applying to northumbria law school.is law school situated in the heart of the city?

ReputationRep:
    [ Plus, its considerably cheaper than other schools, you pay an extra £900 a year but dont have to pay massive sums at the end if you want to do a LPC or a BVC.

Mind, you probably already knew all that [/QUOTE]

What do you mean? Apart from tuition fees, do we have to pay extra money?for what?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.