The Student Room Group

My friend is faking a dyslexic test and it's really annoying me

Basically, my friend has decided that extra marks for coursework and additional time for his exams (we are at uni) will help him tremendously.

I am all for this, however, he wants to fake either dyslexia or dyspraxia in order to get the above entitlements.

Im not sure he should do this. Mostly because, I don't think it will be fair that he gets extra marks/time and nobody else will (me incuded)

he has gone in for his initial assesment about 15 minutes ago. He said he intended to get a low score.

Basically is it possible for him to fake these conditions? will the test know he is faking?

am I being selfish for being pissed of that he is doing this? (im actually tempted to do it myself if he gets additional time...but im not sure if i could stoop so low :yes: )

anyway some thoughts on this please!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're clearly not a good enough friend if it pisses you off.
Reply 2
They will of made the test difficult to cheat on, but I guess it could be done. He's not really harming anyone but it is unfair, so you are right to be pissed off. I wouldn't do it if I was you.
Easy enough to fake but I reckon they'll figure it out when he hands his work in and it's perfectly fine...
No you aren't selfish for having standards. Cheating doesn't pay in the long run.
Reply 5
They might spot it, and if he is classed as dyslexic that can be passed to the doctor so it'll be with you forever, short term it might be good but long term it won't.
Reply 6
no i would get annoyed too, its a cop out
I've heard it's actually quite hard to dupe the dyslexia tests because it's not just about getting a low score, there are certain parameters they test for and they are obviously aware that some people might try to take advantage of the system. Because of this, I presume your friend will find it quite hard to fake dyslexia and could get into quite a bit of trouble if he was found to be deliberately misleading the test people as it more or less amounts to fraud.
His own mistake - if he passes off as dyslexic and gets better marks through extra time and such, it will only come back to haunt him in the future, either through an inability to perform within the time constraints given to him, or through his cheating being discovered, which I would have thought could have severe consequences with regards to his degree and graduation.
Reply 9
A friend always gets 30mins extra time back at A -levels, since he had this 'illness', and the dude looks and talks fine to me, He kept teasing me about this, but i never cared
Reply 10
Is he just just dyslexic or is he stupid as well?
Reply 11
I know so many people that have done the same, but they do it in order to get DSA and a free laptop.

I'm dyslexic and in order to get my DSA and help my uni want me to be re-assessed (for the 3rd time cos every school I've been to has already done it) but the catch is that it cost £280 for this assessment that I can't afford and therefore they won't give me the help.

So basically I'm not getting help but all the people faking it are entitled to it and not using it.
Reply 12
ParadigmShift
His own mistake - if he passes off as dyslexic and gets better marks through extra time and such, it will only come back to haunt him in the future, either through an inability to perform within the time constraints given to him, or through his cheating being discovered, which I would have thought could have severe consequences with regards to his degree and graduation.

But how will he ever be found out? As it's a medical condition i thought it was confidential?
Dyslexia or dyspraxia? Does he even know what they are? He better have done his research otherwise he's just going to look like a complete douche.
Reply 14
Don't hate on a homies hustle
Reply 15
cardine92
Dyslexia or dyspraxia? Does he even know what they are? He better have done his research otherwise he's just going to look like a complete douche.

but surely there is no possible way of telling wether a person has faked the test?

I am a good friend, and im jealous (just morally annoyed) because he will get additional time, im just very principled and am also worried for him, as he could get into allot of trouble?
Reply 16
unless he is familiar with exactly how dyslexia 'works' and affects you, i think he is going to fail in his little scam.

it's not about getting a 'low score'. you are tested for ability in different areas and then they compare the results to see if there is a disparity between certain ones. Does he think its just about being 'thick'?

and my personal opinion: what a ******* jackass. i hope he gets found out.
Reply 17
sianvygus
I know so many people that have done the same, but they do it in order to get DSA and a free laptop.

I'm dyslexic and in order to get my DSA and help my uni want me to be re-assessed (for the 3rd time cos every school I've been to has already done it) but the catch is that it cost £280 for this assessment that I can't afford and therefore they won't give me the help.

So basically I'm not getting help but all the people faking it are entitled to it and not using it.

So this 'faking' is widely done?? and nobody has been caught for such an act!? :eek:
Reply 18
Ham22
unless he is familiar with exactly how dyslexia 'works' and affects you, i think he is going to fail in his little scam.

it's not about getting a 'low score'. you are tested for ability in different areas and then they compare the results to see if there is a disparity between certain ones. Does he think its just about being 'thick'?

and my personal opinion: what a ******* jackass. i hope he gets found out.

This :yes:
Reply 19
Bongboy6969
So this 'faking' is widely done?? and nobody has been caught for such an act!? :eek:

Well, really I'm judging people but the way people talk and act about it makes it seem like it is.
But if your paying someone almost £300 to assess you then I doubt they are going to turn around and say 'no' unless it is really obvious.

Latest

Trending

Trending