Turn on thread page Beta

My friend is faking a dyslexic test and it's really annoying me watch

ReputationRep:
    'Stoop that low' Lies. Your annoyed because he thought of the idea first and now you can't use it, face it he will beat the test it can't be that hard i know a lot of people who have cheated on psychiatric tests which were government assessed and were very serious tests

ReputationRep:
    That's stupid. Why doesn't he just get his degree fair and square like everybody else? :mad2: I would be very annoyed. My friend is heavily, heavily dyslexic but she is quite clever and doesn't even need the extra time or marks so a person faking dyslexia would have a huge advantage with extra time and marks. I know that if I had more time in exams, I could do so much better.

(Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    A friend always gets 30mins extra time back at A -levels, since he had this 'illness', and the dude looks and talks fine to me, He kept teasing me about this, but i never cared
    Dyslexia and Dyspraxia (to a certain extent) are non visible conditions - I have Dyspraxia and no one can actually look at me and say I see you've got Dyspraxia (unless they know it beforehand) and its not an 'illness' its an actual condition

OP - If I were you I'd blow the whistle he seems like a **** person to be desperate to get these extras - people dont choose to be ill do they? I havent chose to be Dyspraxic and I dont think many did choose to be dyslexic or dyspraxic.

(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    No you aren't selfish for having standards. Cheating doesn't pay in the long run.
    It really does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    Basically, my friend has decided that extra marks for coursework and additional time for his exams (we are at uni) will help him tremendously.

I am all for this, however, he wants to fake either dyslexia or dyspraxia in order to get the above entitlements.

Im not sure he should do this. Mostly because, I don't think it will be fair that he gets extra marks/time and nobody else will (me incuded)

he has gone in for his initial assesment about 15 minutes ago. He said he intended to get a low score.

Basically is it possible for him to fake these conditions? will the test know he is faking?

am I being selfish for being pissed of that he is doing this? (im actually tempted to do it myself if he gets additional time...but im not sure if i could stoop so low :yes: )

anyway some thoughts on this please!
    Think of it this way. He's admitting that despite not having a genuine disability, he still needs extra help to pass a few exams. Add to this the fact that he thinks you can fake dyslexia/dispraxia (epic fail) on a psychometric test and you have one absolute retard...

In light of that, maybe he does need the extra time... :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Dyslexia and Dyspraxia (to a certain extent) are non visible conditions - I have Dyspraxia and no one can actually look at me and say I see you've got Dyspraxia (unless they know it beforehand) and its not an 'illness' its an actual condition

OP - If I were you I'd blow the whistle he seems like a **** person to be desperate to get these extras - people dont choose to be ill do they? I havent chose to be Dyspraxic and I dont think many did choose to be dyslexic or dyspraxic.
    I definatly WILL NOT blow the whistle on him as he is a really good friend, and landing him into loads of trouble would be a terrible thing for me to do as he has confided in me as a friend.

I definatly WILL NOT blow the whistle on him as he is a really good friend, and landing him into loads of trouble would be a terrible thing for me to do as he has confided in me as a friend.
    Okay then, thats entirely up to you

but

Dont come on here moaning and saying you're annoyed by what he is doing because you are prepared to accept it and are prepared to allow him to cheat.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's right that dyslexic people get extra time for exams - so I think it's fair to pretend to have it in order to get the advantage they have.

then wtf are you moaning on here about it then.

just watch him get away with it or fail and then get ahead through his lies or be shamed for being a **** and then have to live with it.

Im really sorry but friend or no friend, I would STILL blow the whistle! There is a girl @ my uni who uses wikipedia in her assignments and has NOT been caught but seems to be getting low 2:2's. Also she doesn't do the full word count - declares titles and references in her word count!!!! But even so its not fair!!!! I know someone who is on the verge of blowing the whistle on her for it . . .why should someone work their arse off and get a good mark and then someone who can't be bothered to work, use proper poor sources, still pass (even if the mark is a low 2:2)??? . . .

PS: I have dyslexia and you can not fake the tests!!

PPS: Since when was Dyslexia and Dyspraxia a medical condition???? . . (And the extra time on assignments and exams, is nothing special! And nor is the ''free'' laptop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Okay then, thats entirely up to you

but

Dont come on here moaning and saying you're annoyed by what he is doing because you are prepared to accept it and are prepared to allow him to cheat.
    I just think it is the uni's responsibility to catch him out, not mine?

ReputationRep:
    I think that anyone 'confiding' such total moral bankruptcy would simultaneously void their status as a friend of mine.

I just think it is the uni's responsibility to catch him out, not mine?
    ok as I said its entirely upto you but I wouldnt be complaining if I were you If you know what he is doing and is prepared to allow it.

ReputationRep:
    Karma will take care of him. You just look after yourself. You'll probably still do better than him in your exams, too.

ReputationRep:
    What a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Im really sorry but friend or no friend, I would STILL blow the whistle! There is a girl @ my uni who uses wikipedia in her assignments and has NOT been caught but seems to be getting low 2:2's. Also she doesn't do the full word count - declares titles and references in her word count!!!! But even so its not fair!!!! I know someone who is on the verge of blowing the whistle on her for it . . .why should someone work their arse off and get a good mark and then someone who can't be bothered to work, use proper poor sources, still pass (even if the mark is a low 2:2)??? . . .

PPS: Since when was Dyslexia and Dyspraxia a medical condition???? . . (And the extra time on assignments and exams, is nothing special! And nor is the ''free'' laptop!
    What's wrong with wikipedia? It's a perfectly viable source of information considering they do get their information from other places. It's just secondary data.

The word count is abit low though. A low 2:2 is not really good at all considering the competitive of other people.

ReputationRep:

I dont understand why you're crying about that? She gets low 2.2s. I.e. she gets what she deserves for using ****** sources. Secondly, since when are word counts a minimum requirement as opposed to a maximum? If she wants to be a retard and count her title and references that's her own fault and is probably a contributing factor to her getting ****** grades. I don't see what there is to be annoyed about.

(Original post by Tombola)
    What's wrong with wikipedia? It's a perfectly viable source of information considering they do get their information from other places. It's just secondary data.

The word count is abit low though. A low 2:2 is not really good at all considering the competitive of other people.
    It specifically says in our module guides AND course handbook NOT to use it! If anyone is found to use it their marks will be severely affected! She is using it and has not been picked up on it! I read something on it once, referred back to a book to double check and the academic book said it completely different to what the person had written. Since then I just use textbooks/journals/policy documents/ legitimate websites, ie Home Office. I appreciate it is accepted at other universities, but it's not at mine.

Majority of assignments we've done this year have been around 2000 words. She is handing in work that is less than the 10% minimum. Again she has not been picked up on that and she has been doing that for the past 2 and a half years! :/

ReputationRep:
    And the extra time on assignments and exams, is nothing special! And nor is the ''free'' laptop!
    How is extra time "not special"? I among others would kill for even a mere 10 minutes in an exam to further proof read or correct an answer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning faking dyslexia in the slightest, but I wouldn't downplay the benefits of the help and support you get which would be gladly received by many others with perhaps undiagnosed or uncategorised conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be fooled into thinking that nobody looses out - everybody on your course loses out when he does better them them thanks to his extra time. Genuinely dyslexic people loose out because people are faking their condition. The taxpayer looses out because they have to pay for his "free" laptop. The university looses out because it is giving better marks to people than they deserve, which in the long run means its standards have fallen and it is a worse university.

If you want to think about why what your friend is doing is wrong, ask yourself what would happen if everybody successfully cheated on the dyslexia test. The same problems occur, just in smaller doses.

Your friend is stealing money when he gets his free computer equipment and is devaluing your education, and the education of others when he gets marks he doesn't deserve. I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who did that, and if you cover for him, you are helping him get away with it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.