Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend is faking a dyslexic test and it's really annoying me Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Karma will take care of him. You just look after yourself. You'll probably still do better than him in your exams, too.
    Yeah it's probably best if i forget about it

BTW, the photo in your sig is amzing, i just spent 10 minutes looking at it and it's tripping me out

if you re-focus on the black dot, the colours reappear? Weird but very cool

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I dont understand why you're crying about that? She gets low 2.2s. I.e. she gets what she deserves for using ****** sources. Secondly, since when are word counts a minimum requirement as opposed to a maximum? If she wants to be a retard and count her title and references that's her own fault and is probably a contributing factor to her getting ****** grades. I don't see what there is to be annoyed about.
    I think you've misunderstood what I meant. Im not upset AT ALL that she is getting low 2:2s. She is using crap sources, not referencing properly and etc - she gets what she deserves. What is annoying people is the fact she hasn't been pulled up on it, considering its all the lecturers have talked about ''Ensure you've done this this and this otherwise you're marks will be severely affected''. She has done what they said NOT to do, yet they've not picked up on it. That is what quite a few people on my course are annoyed about. I couldn't give two monkeys about her, after all she is redoing another year, but its just how she has managed to get this far without the lecturers noticing lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Octopus)
    Don't be fooled into thinking that nobody looses out - everybody on your course loses out when he does better them them thanks to his extra time. Genuinely dyslexic people loose out because people are faking their condition. The taxpayer looses out because they have to pay for his "free" laptop. The university looses out because it is giving better marks to people than they deserve, which in the long run means its standards have fallen and it is a worse university.

If you want to think about why what your friend is doing is wrong, ask yourself what would happen if everybody successfully cheated on the dyslexia test. The same problems occur, just in smaller doses.

Your friend is stealing money when he gets his free computer equipment and is devaluing your education, and the education of others when he gets marks he doesn't deserve. I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who did that, and if you cover for him, you are helping him get away with it.
    lol, not activley doing something, is not exactly covering up for him is it?

(Original post by Tomtomtom910)
    How is extra time "not special"? I among others would kill for even a mere 10 minutes in an exam to further proof read or correct an answer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning faking dyslexia in the slightest, but I wouldn't downplay the benefits of the help and support you get which would be gladly received by many others with perhaps undiagnosed or uncategorised conditions.
    The extra time is nothing special. I have not once used it! That is what i meant. Its there if you want it, but I don't bother with it and still come out with the same marks as my friends who don't have dyslexia.

I am entitled to a tutor as well - I had her one academic year and got rid of her - found her rude, talked to me like **** and always tried to change my assignments to **** she thought! I let her help me with one assignment = I got a crap grade. I got my mum from then on to help me proof read and etc - my marks drastically improved!!

Yes there are ''perks'' but tbh is not that great! Trust me!! . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bongboy6969)
    lol, not activley doing something, is not exactly covering up for him is it?
    It is implicitly. If your friend had done something much worse, something illegal, and you didn't tell anyone, that would also be immoral. Especially if telling someone will prevent the harm caused by their actions.

ReputationRep:
    only read page 1 so things may have changed:
    Op you mean to say you know the identity of someone who is trying to advantage of a system that helps out people with learning difficulties and haven't reported them?
    I hope that can't come back to bite you in the arse.
    I am confident if they 'pass' (or 'fail' depending on how you look at it) they will be found out within the next 5 years and it will seriously work against them. Dyslexia doesn't come and go, you either have it or you don't.
    However it is related to which languages you speak.

ReputationRep:
    Too be honest its hard to fake, done the test myself. its not what you'd expect, also you have to pay to go meet with a psychiatrist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    It specifically says in our module guides AND course handbook NOT to use it! If anyone is found to use it their marks will be severely affected! She is using it and has not been picked up on it! I read something on it once, referred back to a book to double check and the academic book said it completely different to what the person had written. Since then I just use textbooks/journals/policy documents/ legitimate websites, ie Home Office. I appreciate it is accepted at other universities, but it's not at mine.

Majority of assignments we've done this year have been around 2000 words. She is handing in work that is less than the 10% minimum. Again she has not been picked up on that and she has been doing that for the past 2 and a half years! :/
    The thing is... Wikipedia contains information from official sources. It's unlikely there will be a huge difference in the level of information considering most concepts will be relatively simple and similar.

What's the difference between using wikipedia and using this?

References
    ^ Norman DA, Shallice T (2000). "(1980) Attention to action: Willed and automatic control of behaviour". in Gazzaniga MS. Cognitive neuroscience: a reader. Oxford: Blackwell. ISBN 0-631-21660-X.
    ^ Cherkes-Julkowski, M. (2005). The Dysfunctionality of Executive Functions. Apache Junction, AZ: Surviving Education Guides.
    ^ Shiffrin RM, Schneider W (March 1977). "Controlled and automatic human information processing: II: Perceptual learning, automatic attending, and a general theory". Psychological Review 84 (2): 127–90. doi:10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.127.
    ^ Posner MI, Snyder CRR (1975). "Attention and cognitive control". in Solso RL. Information processing and cognition: the Loyola symposium. Hillsdale, N.J: L. Erlbaum Associates. ISBN 0-470-81230-3.
    ^ Posner MI, Petersen SE (1990). "The attention system of the human brain". Annu Rev Neurosci. 13: 25–42. doi:10.1146/annurev.ne.13.030190.000325. PMID 2183676.
    ^ Shallice T (1988). From neuropsychology to mental structure. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-31360-0.
    ^ Baddeley AD (1986). Working memory. Oxford: Clarendon Press. ISBN 0-19-852133-2.
    ^ Miller EK, Cohen JD (2001). "An integrative theory of prefrontal cortex function". Annu Rev Neurosci. 24: 167–202. doi:10.1146/annurev.neuro.24.1.167. PMID 11283309.
    ^ Desimone R, Duncan J (1995). "Neural mechanisms of selective visual attention". Annu Rev Neurosci. 18: 193–222. doi:10.1146/annurev.ne.18.030195.001205. PMID 7605061.
    ^ Rabbitt PMA (1997). "Theory and methodology in executive function research". Methodology of frontal and executive function. East Sussex: Psychology Press. ISBN 0-86377-485-7.
    Now all universities claim that student shouldn't use wikipedia as a source, but it appears more to be not using wikipedia as a reference/citation.

(Original post by Tombola)
    The thing is... Wikipedia contains information from official sources. It's unlikely there will be a huge difference in the level of information considering most concepts will be relatively simple and similar.

What's the difference between using wikipedia and using this?

Now all universities claim that student shouldn't use wikipedia as a source, but it appears more to be not using wikipedia as a reference/citation.
    Yea the people who ''write the blerbs'' on wikipedia aren't academic people! They have referenced bits here and there = yes, but it's still not allowed!

It's down to you: would you rather get a 2:1/first for using correct sources or immediate down grade to 2:2/3rd for using inappropriate sources which lecturers say not to use time and time again?? I know which one I'd go for. . . . lol. There is no harm in reading it, BUT using it in your work = nah :nope: not at my uni!

ReputationRep:
    They're not that easy to cheat on :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    Basically, my friend has decided that extra marks for coursework and additional time for his exams (we are at uni) will help him tremendously.

I am all for this, however, he wants to fake either dyslexia or dyspraxia in order to get the above entitlements.

Im not sure he should do this. Mostly because, I don't think it will be fair that he gets extra marks/time and nobody else will (me incuded)

he has gone in for his initial assesment about 15 minutes ago. He said he intended to get a low score.

Basically is it possible for him to fake these conditions? will the test know he is faking?

am I being selfish for being pissed of that he is doing this? (im actually tempted to do it myself if he gets additional time...but im not sure if i could stoop so low :yes: )

anyway some thoughts on this please!

Hypocrite

ReputationRep:
    I am all for this, however, he wants to fake either dyslexia or dyspraxia in order to get the above entitlements.
    A girl I used to be friends with and have known for a long time has done exactly the same thing, although she is also doing it as an attention getting exercise. I know it may be annoying and seems unfair, but if it is what your friend wants there's not much you can do about it. Just tell him how you feel and then wash your hands of it.....

ReputationRep:
    I would be annoyed too. Unless he fully understand Dyslexia or Dyspraxia, I doubt he would pass the tests. Dyslexia is a complex condition with other elements such as poor short term memory, rather than just being a slow reader/poor speller.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, my friend has decided that extra marks for coursework and additional time for his exams (we are at uni) will help him tremendously.

Im not sure he should do this. Mostly because, I don't think it will be fair that he gets extra marks/time and nobody else will (me incuded)

he has gone in for his initial assesment about 15 minutes ago. He said he intended to get a low score.

Basically is it possible for him to fake these conditions? will the test know he is faking?

am I being selfish for being pissed of that he is doing this? (im actually tempted to do it myself if he gets additional time...but im not sure if i could stoop so low :yes: )

anyway some thoughts on this please!
    thats just sad that your jealous

ReputationRep:
    Just a probability given these tests are supposed to be hard. What if he's really dyslexic and does not want you to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I think that anyone 'confiding' such total moral bankruptcy would simultaneously void their status as a friend of mine.
    That's really stupid. I'm sure no one's friend is an angel, thus if you have a close friendship and your friend decides to play to system you simply won't snitch on him. Even if you think it's wrong, it's not as if he/she is robbing a bank or something. The amount of *****es on tsr is quite flabbergasting! No wonder you guys are social outcasts or pretencious geeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WarmEye)
    That's really stupid. I'm sure no one's friend is an angel, thus if you have a close friendship and your friend decides to play to system you simply won't snitch on him. Even if you think it's wrong, it's not as if he/she is robbing a bank or something. The amount of *****es on tsr is quite flabbergasting! No wonder you guys are social outcasts or pretencious geeks.

University of Oxford: PPE
    Oh! My sides.

ReputationRep:
    Oh! My sides.
    What's so funny? I study at Oxford, however I'm not the brightest person you wil ever encounter. And you should stop right clicking on synonyms. How the hell can you have a "moral bankruptcy" Are you purposley trying to act like a di-ck?

ReputationRep:
    What's so funny? I study at Oxford,
    No, you don't. (Unless, of course, you mean 'in Oxford'.)

however I'm not the brightest person you wil ever encounter. And you should stop right clicking on synonyms. How the hell can you have a "moral bankruptcy" Are you purposley trying to act like a di-ck?
    Evidently.

ReputationRep:
    No, you don't. (Unless, of course, you mean 'in Oxford'.)

Evidently.
    All I'm reading is 'blah blah blah'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.