Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please sign this regarding the state of our roads and how much we pay to use them.

To give you some idea, 2p in every litre of petrol goes towards road upkeep, despite the government taxing us about 70ppl. Especially after such a hard winter I think its about time the government and local councils spent enough to make them safe. Councils pay out over £50m in compensation to motorists, but if the roads were maintained correctly in the first place there would be no need to pay all this money out. £50m would repair a lot of potholes!

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/fixtheroads/

ReputationRep:
    done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    its more than that, I believe some councils are increasing council-tax for the repairs to potholes!

Also Road Tax is flawed as it does not reflect usage.
    Yes the system is buggered, our taxes we pay to use the roads go to Whitehall, yet local governments are responsible for the upkeep. Did you know that what they describe as a "permanent repair" costing £20 per square meter are only designed to last a maximum of 5 years. After that it will have to be done again. Seriously the state of our roads is a disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    Done :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    Also Road Tax is flawed as it does not reflect usage.
    Well the argument is that this way it's more fair to the people who live in the middle of nowhere. They argue that it wouldn't be fair to tax them loads for their commute while people living in cities would pay a little. Tax based completely on usage would lead to the countryside getting empty as people would be forced to move into cities.

Whether that's a convincing argument or not, up for you to decide...

ReputationRep:
    Signed it myself. I'll send out the link as a forward to my contacts

ReputationRep:
    Fix the roads?

Balls to the roads. That's what the government used to justify the increase in the last fuel duty increase. Absolute ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    Fix the roads?

Balls to the roads. That's what the government used to justify the increase in the last fuel duty increase. Absolute ********.
    Pfft, yeah. Who needs roads?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.