Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Interested in a friend- good or bad idea? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, need a bit of unbiased advice.

I have a guy friend who I know from uni. We were pretty close (some people thought we were going out), but nothing happened since we were never single at the same time. He did tell me once that if I was single then he would be going out with me...

Anyway, he dropped out and we lost touch. We recently got back in touch and text each other a lot and speak on the phone. I've looked at his FB profile, and it says he has a girlfriend, yet he hasn't mentioned her to me. We met up last week, it was going to be just the two of us but we bumped into some old friends of ours. I never got a chance to ask him about his GF. He didn't bring it up. He did ask to meet up the following week and said it would be nice 'just us two this time'. We hugged goodbye, and somthing weird happened. The hug didn't end quickly and we kind of looked into each other's eyes for a little bit. I think he was about to kiss me, (I REALLY wanted to kiss him:yes: ) but I moved away since I don't know what his relationship status is.

We didn't meet up in the end. I'm scared to text or call him and he hasn't got in touch with me. :confused:

Sorry for the long post... just wanted some advice and opinions!

ReputationRep:
    Well, there no point not doing anything and just wondering "what if"? Be proactive! Chat to him on the phone of facebook, ask him what's going on with his relationship status. If it turns out that he's broken up with her or something, then make the move and ask him out. Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    What would you like advice on?

My opinion is that a guy that says things like 'if you were single i'd be going out with you' and then meets up with you 'just the two of us' and tries to kiss you (your words not mine) then it would be safe to assume he wants to do the no-pants dance. I'll save my opinions on his character because you're obviously into him, and I'd only be making massive assumptions anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like he really likes you, he might not of contacted you again because you did pull away when he might of went in for a kiss and that could of made him think your not ready or don't like him in that way. He might just be nervous or a bit upset about what happened but if you chat to him and find out he is single then i think you should definitely ask him if he wants to meet up again and see what happens the next time (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivantheterrible)
    What would you like advice on?

My opinion is that a guy that says things like 'if you were single i'd be going out with you' and then meets up with you 'just the two of us' and tries to kiss you (your words not mine) then it would be safe to assume he wants to do the no-pants dance. I'll save my opinions on his character because you're obviously into him, and I'd only be making massive assumptions anyway.
    No, no assume away!

I just wanted people's thoughts. I like him, but if he does have a girlfriend then nothing will happen. I find it a bit strange that he hasn't mentioned a girlfriend. I'm just puzzled that's all. My friends met him a few years ago and really liked him, they are all saying go for it, but it's just the girlfriend thing that's holding me back. I don't know if they have been going out for a while or recently (not that it makes a difference; if he's taken he's taken!). He hasn't been on FB in ages either. I just can't text him saying 'are you single?' :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Well, there no point not doing anything and just wondering "what if"? Be proactive! Chat to him on the phone of facebook, ask him what's going on with his relationship status. If it turns out that he's broken up with her or something, then make the move and ask him out. Hope that helped
    This!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missymonkey)
    No, no assume away!

I just wanted people's thoughts. I like him, but if he does have a girlfriend then nothing will happen. I find it a bit strange that he hasn't mentioned a girlfriend. I'm just puzzled that's all. My friends met him a few years ago and really liked him, they are all saying go for it, but it's just the girlfriend thing that's holding me back. I don't know if they have been going out for a while or recently (not that it makes a difference; if he's taken he's taken!). He hasn't been on FB in ages either. I just can't text him saying 'are you single?' :eek:
    Well, maybe he has broken up with his gf and hasn't bothered updating his FB since he doesn't go on it anymore. The best thing you can do is just ask him about it, we won't know will we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missymonkey)
    No, no assume away!

That's fair enough, it may be an old status. Tbh it sounds like he's interested but he's not sure if you are, so that might explain why he's gone quiet on the texting front. You perhaps could send him a text like that (I got one saying exactly that not too long ago :p: ) and yes it sort of makes it obvious but let me tell you this, obvious is not a bad thing. It sounds like you've enjoyed playing games with each other for a while and that can become a habit but invariably it doesn't help for clear communication.

On the girlfriend issue, it's impossible to tell. My first reaction was to think of him as being a bit sleazy (if he's saying things like 'id be going out with you if you were single') so I naturally assumed that he probably has a girlfriend but doesn't mind 'playing away'. Then again, most guys (and girls..) keep their options open and what can look like sleazy behaviour could be considered 'playing the odds.' It's all a matter of degrees. Hope I havn't just confused you more. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ask a man wahgwan.

ReputationRep:
    Just ask him!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.