The Student Room Group

Anyone who's read (or just knows the story of) Lolita

My AS creative writing coursework has to be a response to Lolita; so I have to take a theme from the book (preferably one of the following: obsession, unrequited love, unsuitable love, but whatever really) and be inspired by it and write my own piece, like either a chapter/opening of a story or a very short story. reeeeally can't think of what to do, does anyone have any good ideas?
Reply 1
anna_disraeli
My AS creative writing coursework has to be a response to Lolita; so I have to take a theme from the book (preferably one of the following: obsession, unrequited love, unsuitable love, but whatever really) and be inspired by it and write my own piece, like either a chapter/opening of a story or a very short story. reeeeally can't think of what to do, does anyone have any good ideas?

I've seen the Stanley Kubrick film. You could maybe talk about society's age rule for love, and debate whether an underage person can be responsible for who they love or whether it should be dictated to them by law. There's a lot to right about there. I'd recommend also watching the film as it might give you some ideas.
hmm, perhaps some sort of scenario with a bit of a forbidden romance? like lolita, largish age gap?
or perhaps an obsessive love someone has- that could be interesting, you could have this really obsessed character- either they could be in love with the person to a degree that they have their pictures everywhere, or else are slowly becoming them?
How about telling some of the story from the prespective of one of the other characters? I thought of this because of Jane Eyre and Wide Sargasso Sea [although I don't know a huge amount about either] - I think the latter lifts characters from Jane Eyre and uses their perspective to put the original story in a different light. I don't think it would be a very easy thing to do, though. Particularly not as a short story.

You could also consider the different characters and how they feel about each other, and then switch characteristics or relations around and explore how things might happen in that case.

I felt that HH had a way of phrasing things that made them sound more acceptable than they were in reality... I think there's potential for ideas relating to that, but I'm not sure what.

All his wives and women were also quite interesting. There's plenty of room for imagination with them.

What if it had been set in a different time?...

I don't know how helpful any of that is, but hopefully it might give you some ideas or something :smile: I've tried to think about possible starting places that I might use if I was doing the assignment... None of them really link into themes that specifically, but something might come together from it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending