Turn on thread page Beta

Try to be friends or cut her out? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well I posted a couple of thread this past week or so about the situation with my partner/ex (can't really say which but more leaning towards ex) and I can't really see it working out. I think I'm gonna just try give her some more time to think stuff out but in my opinion it's pretty much over. I didn't want it to be and I did tell her I wanted us to get back together but too many things during this period where we've been fairly close but not 100% together have shown me we just don't work at ALL - we love each other, sure, but it needs more than just that.

About 3 weeks ago or so is when we started this sort of "break" (not exactly that but closest to what I can think of) and we've still been fairly close which ruins the purpose of it but she said she wanted us to be close just not really couple-y during this time-period. Anyway, on that night of all this we promised we'd try very hard to remain good friends if we didn't end up getting back together again. I want us to be friends and not break that promise but I just don't know anymore.

We were friends before we got together (for about 3-4 years) so that's why we want to try remain friends but can you really be friends with an ex (properly)? I feel like I'm gonna like her for a long time and being just friends will keep those feelings alive which I don't really want but I also don't want to hurt her by breaking that promise and not being friends with her...

ReputationRep:
    Just deck her.

ReputationRep:
    I know it is hard, but in order for you to let go and move on, you need to cut all contact. ALL contact. Otherwise, you will find that you wont get over her for a looooooong time. You wont be able to move on. Trust me.

If you want that pain and headfunk, then stay friends, but don't say I didn't warn you!

ReputationRep:
    Cut all ties, at least for a while. If you feel you can be friends after a while then try it. But make sure that if you do try and be friends that you set yourself clear rules. Stuff you will and won't do, make sure you get out of there if it goes badly.

ReputationRep:
    yeah man, in my experience cutting all the ties works best, if you still have the odd thread hanging on it causes all sorts of **** - i.e you get jealous or she'll get jealous, you end up being nasty or she ends up being nasty, you catchin what i'm throwing ? i myself am friends with an ex, but we are both 30 and her business is only 10 seconds from my house, so i see her quite regulary, we both know thats its better to be amicable then rude, so we get on with it. However if your you or your bird arn't going to be around each other then that makes it easier. Don't be surprised though if you find she's moved on with herself and she likewise with you.......peace out mann.

ReputationRep:
    This is going to be difficult. I still care about her even though I know we wouldn't work out in a relationship - they say you don't forget your first love easily or it takes long and I can see that being the case (but of course we'll just have to see about that).

What makes this far harder is because we have the same friendship circles and we will, inevitably, see each other a lot when hanging out with friends. I'd just hate for there to be a massive awkwardness between us.

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty certain if your both 'switched on' people then everything will be cool man. The best thing to do is try and make each other laugh and have banter afterall it make the world go round !! good luck chap, if i was to speak to 15 yrs time, you would say i've had several birds since then each with bloody problems ! trust me......

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.