Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Iran is "a nuclear state" - Too defiant? Time to put it down? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Seems like only Western allies can possess nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    That's probably because we don't have heads of state going on live television proclaiming 'DEATH TO THE MIDDLE EAST'

ReputationRep:
    None of our leaders are insane enough to use nuclear weapons. The East and West went for 4 decades without managing to blow each other up.

However, the Iranian Theocracy, run by mentalists, is a different story. When Ahmadinejad has come out in the past and declared that Israel should be wiped off of the map . . . well, with nukes he could actually do that.

FYI - China and Russia are not allies of the West. They both have substantial nuclear arsenals.

For the record - I support total disarmament of nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    Ofcourse if countries have huge numbers of nuclear weapons the others aren't just going to keep to sticks, stones, bows and arrows.

The worry is that Iran is run by a group of loonies, if they do decide to use those weapons rest assured they'll go on a rampage and won't comply with international war regulations...Ahmadinejad will drop the bombs like skittles, with Israel being the prime target.

ReputationRep:
    the west tends to be a hypocrite, but since we live in a western world, we will see biased new reporting like we are the good guys, when its us who are doing all the invading and the bullying makes you wonder who is it that is in the really wrong doesn't it.

ReputationRep:
    What can you do? They are entitled to nuclear power and im pretty sure that the only reason why are they are pursuing nuclear weapons is to piss off the west. Sanctions dont work against Iran, there is nothing to stop India or China selling stuff to them, and if sanctions are broken there is no real way of enforcing them except by force. Which with UK and American troops already busy in other conflicts isnt really an option. I say help them by providing the knowledge to build recactors and enrich uranium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    None of our leaders are insane enough to use nuclear weapons. The East and West went for 4 decades without managing to blow each other up.

However, the Iranian Theocracy, run by mentalists, is a different story. When Ahmadinejad has come out in the past and declared that Israel should be wiped off of the map . . . well, with nukes he could actually do that.

FYI - China and Russia are not allies of the West. They both have substantial nuclear arsenals.

For the record - I support total disarmament of nuclear weapons.
    USSR and China followed the Iranian way...they didn't ask anyone for permission.

You could say they suffered as a result. :o:

India, Pakistan or Israel - didn't ask permission either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    That's probably because we don't have heads of state going on live television proclaiming 'DEATH TO THE MIDDLE EAST'
    when was this, its mostly just pure rubbish ive never heard ahmadhinyou knowtherest say he wants to blow up israel or saudi arabia. its mostly just rumors passed along which suddenly become facts.

most of his interview's with western news reporters are cut and pasted and don't even make sense because they have been edited so much, changing what he is trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's less a case of not wanting Iran to have them and more not wanting Ahmadinejad or any other lunatic have them.

ReputationRep:
    He wouldn't easily wipe Israel of the map because then he'd have to get Palestine off the map.

ReputationRep:
    Israel will deal when they become a tangible threat, airstikes on a few key installations = job done. They had no problems doing it to Syria a few years back.

ReputationRep:
    No one wants world ending weapons in the hands of a delusional, compulsive liar, xenophobic mentalist who likes to fund terrorism. Shock.

We won't do anything about it. Either the Iranian dictatorship will be overturned, or one day in the next decade we'll get the news that Israel has flattened Iran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoxesAndBangles)
    He wouldn't easily wipe Israel of the map because then he'd have to get Palestine off the map.
    he didn't say he wanted to wipe israel off the map even though most people think he said its not true. i can provide source of evidence if you can be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    "Putting Iran down" would probably be the closest step towards World War III the west has taken in the past century.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure america will sort this problem out very soon and Iran know this which is why they are building nuclear weapons. You don't hold 11% of the worlds oil reserves for long. Saddam will verify this

ReputationRep:
    To dismiss the Iranian leader as mad would be to underrate the threat, which is more systemic than one, mere man. Even indeed if fundamentally he is likely to be immersed in a quite insane rationale, which I'll note at the end.

It makes me laugh when people are so concerned as to the latest reaction from the United States in these things. Israel will not wait for any such foolishness in defending her national security - Ahmadinejad knows this better than any of us. Which, I might add, is precisely why he is provoking them.

He believes he is here to start that war and has no intention whatsoever of being cheated out of it. Madness? He knows what he's doing only too well. It's the Western world who think they can negotiate and sanction in an effort to negate. We will start the second main phase of this war on the back foot - only the Israelis have any sense as to what they are dealing with, and as far as I'm concerned they are quite free to turn the entire nation into atmospheric dust should they wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    USSR and China followed the Iranian way...they didn't ask anyone for permission.

You could say they suffered as a result. :o:
    USSR and China developed their nuclear weapons at the same time as the US, UK and France. There wasn't anyone to ask or answer to - the modern day P5 essentially raced each other to develop nuclear technology during the 40s and 50s.
    It was a level playing field on which there was no hegemony.

ReputationRep:
    Define 'time to put it down', if you mean by using military force, then my answer is most definitely no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    Because we have to pass it through the parliament first, don't we?

(Original post by Hubert Poo)
    It makes me laugh when people are so concerned as to the latest reaction from the United States in these things. Israel will not wait for any such foolishness in defending her national security - Ahmadinejad knows this better than any of us. Which, I might add, is precisely why he is provoking them.
    Since when were Israel and the US different entities.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.