Turn on thread page Beta

IUD and still on the pill?? watch

Announcements

basically im on the pill (for acne and period pain, Dianette) and im quite forgetful when it comes to taking it.

i was thinking of getting an IUD put in, (in a long term relationship) and was told periods can get heavy and painful and acne can start.:eek:

can i stay on the pill to avoid this?? i dont want to go back to having horrible skin and bad periods

anyone have experience of having an IUD and can give me some info aswell would be helpful thanks.

ReputationRep:
    what about a mirena coil or the implant? both long acting contraceptives (that u don't need to remember to take) and can make u have lighter periods or make them stop all together. Cant offer advice on them thought, I'm on the pill right now but was thinking of getting the implant, dont like the idea of a coil tbh!

(Original post by pink_flower)
    what about a mirena coil or the implant? both long acting contraceptives (that u don't need to remember to take) and can make u have lighter periods or make them stop all together. Cant offer advice on them thought, I'm on the pill right now but was thinking of getting the implant, dont like the idea of a coil tbh!

ive been told both can cause acne, and i got depression because of mine, so would really need to stay on my pill to sort that....

plus, my friend got the implant, and i could NOT imagine having something lodged in my arm. VERY squeemish when it comes to things like that. faint everytime i get blood taken from my arm etc. :eek3: (dunno why the thought of the IUD is ok, but not the implant.)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ive been told both can cause acne, and i got depression because of mine, so would really need to stay on my pill to sort that....

plus, my friend got the implant, and i could NOT imagine having something lodged in my arm. VERY squeemish when it comes to things like that. faint everytime i get blood taken from my arm etc. :eek3: (dunno why the thought of the IUD is ok, but not the implant.)
    Scientifically, there is no reason why you couldn't have both - however, it may be very unlikely that your GP will offer you both, as you will already be covered contraception-wise by the pill. Giving you an IUD at the same time would be an extra cost to the NHS, so they may be very reluctant to do so, unless you had a valid medical reason.

Can I ask why you feel you need both forms of contraception? If you are concerned about your pill being ineffective, then using condoms, or a cap also may be your only option.

(Original post by hannahradford)
    Scientifically, there is no reason why you couldn't have both - however, it may be very unlikely that your GP will offer you both, as you will already be covered contraception-wise by the pill. Giving you an IUD at the same time would be an extra cost to the NHS, so they may be very reluctant to do so, unless you had a valid medical reason.

Can I ask why you feel you need both forms of contraception? If you are concerned about your pill being ineffective, then using condoms, or a cap also may be your only option.

boyfriend has latex allergy (STI check ups frequent though)

and im very forgetful, and also get sick quite frequently, so pill less effective.

would this be reason enough for it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    boyfriend has latex allergy (STI check ups frequent though)

and im very forgetful, and also get sick quite frequently, so pill less effective.

would this be reason enough for it?
    Probably not, as latex free condoms are easy to get hold of. I think some GPs will even prescribe them as a free contraceptive to people allergic to latex, so perhaps it is your boyfriend who cold go to his GP? Durex Avanti condoms are latex free.

If you tell your GP that you often forget to take your pill and are sick a lot etc, then they will just switch you to the IUD and not keep you on both.

Probably not, as latex free condoms are easy to get hold of. I think some GPs will even prescribe them as a free contraceptive to people allergic to latex, so perhaps it is your boyfriend who cold go to his GP? Durex Avanti condoms are latex free.

If you tell your GP that you often forget to take your pill and are sick a lot etc, then they will just switch you to the IUD and not keep you on both.

but im on my pill for my acne, not soley for contraception? if i go on the IUD what would i do about my acne??

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt they put the OP on both, seeing as they would be for different reasons?

ReputationRep:
    they would give her both as a form of emergancy contraception, why not as a lifestyle choice????

couldnt the OP get it after sickness// sex as a form of this if all else fails?

EDIT: or would they take her off the pill? but why? shes on that for acne....
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Again, it's all about the cost to the NHS. Every case is individual and you will only get a clear direct answer if you go to your own GP.

ReputationRep:
    Again, it's all about the cost to the NHS. Every case is individual and you will only get a clear direct answer if you go to your own GP.

but i doubt theyll say to her - if she gets it as an emergency contraception - no you cant have the pill anymore, go and have some acne!

but yeah, ask your GP, or local family planning clinic etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.