Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni councelling - has it been successful for anyone? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madeline06)
    i have posted here a lot lately about my 'issues' sorry. i want to get my life back on track, but have read bad things about therapy/councelling in general and just wondered if councelling has been beneficial for anybody with depression? I used to have OCD pretty bad and i had councelling for this which didn't help at all.. the councellor told me that i did not have OCD even though i would spend hours checking things. I got over that myself, but i don't know if i can help myself with how i've been feeling lately. i am really hoping for some success stories haha... but please be honest anyway. check my previous posts if you need to see exactly how i have been feeling lately to answer this properly... have pretty much relied on TSR lately. thank you!
    Hey
    Firstly, don't apologise for posting - that's what TSR's for I can understand how negative past experiences with therapy could really put you off; I had an appalling therapist at 16 which turned me off the idea for a while. However, I've been in and out of university counselling for a combination of issues (depression, domestic issues, etc) during the last few years. Usually I've found it helpful as a short-term solution but not so much long-term. This is probably due to the main problem with uni counselling: usually you only get a certain number of sessions (usually 5-10) which can be very limiting. I'd advise you to do 2 things that I've only just discovered as possibilities: you can a) talk to your GP and get referred to cognitive behavioural therapy (which can be incredibly effective apparently), and b) start counselling at the university for the time being, and ask your uni counsellor if they can refer you to someone more long-term if you feel this is necessary. I really sympathise and I do hope you feel better soon :hugs: Feel free to PM me if you ever need someone to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    I went to university counselling when I suffered from severe depression. They were nice people and listened a lot to what I had to say, but that wasn't the type of therapy I was after; I had plenty of friends to talk to about my problems. I can see where they were coming from, but it wasn't for me. I ended up on very powerful anti-depressants which screwed around with my head a lot, so I eventually just chucked them after a while and just learnt to deal with my depression on my own.

An ex of mine went to the same counselling service at uni back when he was debating his sexuality and the "counsellor" pretty much said "well, you don't have to be gay...", which was pretty ridiculous!

Anyway, depression and uni counselling; it really seems to depend on what sort of person you are and what's troubling you to know if it'll be beneficial. Ultimately, I'd recommend going (despite the horror stories above), because when you're in that type of scenario, you never know what's going to help - it's better to try than rule it out because you don't know if it'll work.

ReputationRep:
    Councelling doesn't do **** for me. Try it and see for yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Mernard)
    I went to university counselling when I suffered from severe depression. They were nice people and listened a lot to what I had to say, but that wasn't the type of therapy I was after; I had plenty of friends to talk to about my problems. I can see where they were coming from, but it wasn't for me. I ended up on very powerful anti-depressants which screwed around with my head a lot, so I eventually just chucked them after a while and just learnt to deal with my depression on my own.

An ex of mine went to the same counselling service at uni back when he was debating his sexuality and the "counsellor" pretty much said "well, you don't have to be gay...", which was pretty ridiculous!

Anyway, depression and uni counselling; it really seems to depend on what sort of person you are and what's troubling you to know if it'll be beneficial. Ultimately, I'd recommend going (despite the horror stories above), because when you're in that type of scenario, you never know what's going to help - it's better to try than rule it out because you don't know if it'll work.
    One asked if I'd ever been abused and if that was why I was gay. I never went back again.

OP: it's not a commitment so just go and check it out. I've just made my first ever appointment at my uni counselling service and I'm terrified but it can only help, right?

ReputationRep:
    I had counselling when I was at school. It was good to have someone to talk to about things but I often felt really miserable afterwards.

Then when I was diagnosed with depression at A2 I started seeing a counsellor in town and it's been one of the best things I did. I really clicked with her and she was able to completely understand where I was coming from. I learnt a lot from it.

I used the counselling service at my uni, not because I had any "real" issues but due to certain anxieties and stresses I had. I found it really helped - not because it "did" anything, as such, but because it was a great outlet for expressing my worries and fears, and it honestly helped me to deal with things so much better.

It's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for the replies. i have a session on tuesday for 20 minutes as the longer appointments are harder to get and i feel like it has got too bad to leave it much longer. i had a 50 minute session booked in for november and i didn't turn up which was very stupid of me, because i totally could have avoided this break down i have had and avoided gaining this reputation of being a bit mental that i have got now because of the last few weeks. i just hope i can change that and seem 'normal' again. i've been reading a lot of self help stuff about how to build self confidence.... i just need something to work. i definitely worry too much about what other people think of me and rely on others for happiness. i hate the fact that to be normal i need therapy. i just feel like for the rest of my life i am going to need therapy because of how bad things get every week. last night i was pretty close to killing myself and i really hope that i don't feel like that again any time soon...
    could it be a chemical imbalance? it often makes no sense....

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3237893.ece this is quite interesting

I understand completely :hugs: I've been having troubles too.

I also have OCD which I almost 'got rid of' in a sense before I came to uni, but got quite depressed in the first month or two as it wasn't the 'time of my life' which it had been for my sister, and being at a very prestigious uni meant the social life was pretty rubbish.

I went to the uni counsellor which didn't help majorly, but enough to work out the specific problems I was having which meant that when I went back home at Christmas I went for a session with my old therapist and speak to him about the real issues.

Having said all that, I'm struggling again now but don't want to go back to the counselling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I understand completely :hugs: I've been having troubles too.

I also have OCD which I almost 'got rid of' in a sense before I came to uni, but got quite depressed in the first month or two as it wasn't the 'time of my life' which it had been for my sister, and being at a very prestigious uni meant the social life was pretty rubbish.

I went to the uni counsellor which didn't help majorly, but enough to work out the specific problems I was having which meant that when I went back home at Christmas I went for a session with my old therapist and speak to him about the real issues.

Having said all that, I'm struggling again now but don't want to go back to the counselling.
    maybe you should go back if you are struggling, i know it's hard to think like that but at the moment i am thinking straight (for once) and trust me you don't wanna end up low again (like i have been for weeks).

uni kinda has been the time of my life, or it could be if i wanted it to be. i joined the lacrossse team at my uni and have met some awesome people, my social life got to the point i was out doing something every night and never alone, but it's like that wasn't enough to keep me happy. last week or so people have stopped inviting me out as much because i've been distancing myself and also because my close friends know i am depressed so they just kind of leave me to it, which does not help at all. so get help now before you ruin your social life?! like i kind of have been doing.... hopefully it's not too late for me though.

maybe you should go back if you are struggling, i know it's hard to think like that but at the moment i am thinking straight (for once) and trust me you don't wanna end up low again (like i have been for weeks).

uni kinda has been the time of my life, or it could be if i wanted it to be. i joined the lacrossse team at my uni and have met some awesome people, my social life got to the point i was out doing something every night and never alone, but it's like that wasn't enough to keep me happy. last week or so people have stopped inviting me out as much because i've been distancing myself and also because my close friends know i am depressed so they just kind of leave me to it, which does not help at all. so get help now before you ruin your social life?! like i kind of have been doing.... hopefully it's not too late for me though.
    :dontknow: I'm already starting to ruin my social life, and my degree. In the past 3 weeks I've turned up to one lecture (of ~40) and only been out a couple of times. I could've gone out tonight but didn't want to. :sigh:

I'm thinking about maybe private counselling. I think the fact the uni counsellor was a woman didn't help - I have no idea why but I connect more with male counsellors/therapists (I'm female :confused:).

It's a vicious cycle really. I get depressed because of lack of social life/feeling as if I'm going to fail, which means I find it hard to motivate myself to go out and do anything. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Mine didn't really help, he basically just listened and never pressured me into saying or doing anything. Plus he focused almost entirely on my past, which wasn't the original issue. I kinda started to resent going because I knew I'd have to talk about the same **** that I didn't care about. I totally regret not being more assertive and telling him no, this isn't helping, I want this instead. I could've done with a more pro-active, CBT-style approach focused on the here and now.

You have to tell them what you want in your initial consultation - so if you don't want to spend an hour talking about your ******* childhood and having them just sit there, listen and be supportive, tell them. Tell them you want a CBT approach if you need a kick up the backside to change.

ReputationRep:
    The counselling at my old university was probably the only thing i liked in my few months there. I went there a week after i arrived because i had awful homesickness and different stuff was happening back at home that i needed to talk about, and got 'placed' with a really nice woman who just listened to me and helped me work through some of the problems. We got on really well. I did end up leaving uni in the end to reapply, but that was for course reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think I left counseling too late, because by the time I started going, there was already a whole load of stuff that I'd locked away to the point where it'd be impossible to talk about it. Now I feel like I'm wasting their time, because I just can't talk... LOL. :/

Counseling might be useful for you if you can open up about stuff (well, obviously), otherwise it probably won't do much. It's worth giving it a try, I think.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3237893.ece this is quite interesting
    That was interesting.
    I already do everything in the advice sections (though booze and food are a little patchy at times...)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.