Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need help getting the ionic equation for this:

Lead Nitrate(V) + Sodium Chromate(VI) ---> Sodium Nitrate(V) + Lead Chromate(VI)

Which is

Pb(NO3)2 + Na2CrO4 ----> 2NaNO3 + PbCrO4

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Bung some state symbols into there, split the ionic substances up into their constituent ions (whilst leaving anything else well alone), and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Pb2+ (NO3-)2 + Na+2Cr04,2- ---> 2Na+NO3- + Pb2+CrO4,2-

i think

ReputationRep:
    Chromates (CrO42-) are usually insoluble. Exceptions include Na2CrO4, K2CrO4, (NH4)2CrO4, and MgCrO4.
    The Na+, K+, and NH4+ ions form soluble salts.
    The nitrate (NO3-) ion forms soluble salts

Pb(NO3)2 [aq] + Na2CrO4 [aq] ----> 2NaNO3 [aq] + PbCrO4 [strike]
    Pb2+ [aq] + 2NO3- [aq] + 2Na+[aq] + CrO4 2-[aq] -----> 2Na+ [aq] + 2NO3-[aq] + PbCrO4[strike]

Left with
    Pb2+ [aq] + CrO4 2-[aq] -----> PbCrO4[strike]

You see I'm not sure if lead chromate is soluble. According to http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genche...18/soluble.php it isn't. If it was soluble, then everything would be (aq) and so all ions would cancel each other out and you would have no net ionic equation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.