Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I need your help. I am not from UK and I have a full scholarship. I have applied MSc Computer Science courses of following universities:

Imperial, Edinburgh, York, Manchester, Southampton, UCL, St. Andrews and Kings College. I am confused about choosing one of them.

My Criterias:

%50 Social Life (clubs, pubs, city, girls etc.)
    %50 Chance to find job for average graduate (I have to find one :yes: )

I am waiting your help to choose one.

ReputationRep:
    Don't quite understand you're criterias...

ReputationRep:
    Uh ok. Let me tell in better way.

My first criteria is the social life in the university and city. Clubbing, good pubs etc.

Second is job prospects. I have to find a job after my graduate study. So which university has better reputations in professional world. (By the way I will be an international student.)

So both criterias have the same importance for me.

ReputationRep:
    I will try and help!

Imperial, UCL, St. Andrews and Kings College
    Are all in London, so the social life is very good. However it will be expensive compared to the other universities you have applied for, I would say Imperial is the best choice, education wise. After you graduate you will find no problem is finding a job if you go to Imperial, it is very much respected and i believe only Oxford and Cambridge are better at Computer Science compared to Imperial.

Edinburgh, Although being in Scotland, also have a very good social life, but my friends who have gone there say its too cold and they cant understand the accent of the scotish people! It is also the best University in Scotland, and I'ts top 10 for computer Science in UK.

York, Southampton and Manchester.
    Southampton is the best out of those three, it is very respected and all three have very good job prospects, Manchester is probably the most expensive place to give compared to York and Southampton. York i know little about. But Southampton is definintiy the best out of those three.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marrior)
    Hello all,

I need your help. I am not from UK and I have a full scholarship. I have applied MSc Computer Science courses of following universities:

Imperial, Edinburgh, York, Manchester, Southampton, UCL, St. Andrews and Kings College. I am confused about choosing one of them.

My Criterias:

Well from all the international students from Edinburgh, i've been told they came because they were told it 'was the best in Europe'....it certainly has the best research for CS in Europe but it depends how much you care about research. There are A LOT of international students for CS...

Edinburgh has a biiiig social life. Many clubs, pubs societies...if you're really into the social scene, i really suggest accommodation at Pollock halls...there's always people going out each night and always people staying in so take you're pick.

More on Edinburgh in my post here :
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6&postcount=12

I've also never found it too cold (Scotland had tons less snow then London) or had problem understanding people's accents unless their from glasgow.

Ok...

Imperial, Soton and Edinburgh i would say are the best Uni's there. All three are frequently rated in the top 5...

Soton is a ******** though....BUT it's soo cheap for a night out!! Lots of 50p a pint offers etc whereas both Edinburgh and London uni's will be very expensive. My friends at Soton though and is really enjoying it

All three have fantastic graduate perspectives so you can't go wrong with really with which one you choose...so imo, choose the place you like best as a uni...consider it's location, the city, cheapness.

Imperial has London on it's door step, Edinburgh is a thriving beautiful city not far from the countryside if you want a break from city life, Soton's right by the sea!

ReputationRep:
    MSc's are usually really intensive from what ive heard, you usually wont have much time for a social life!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for help. Except Imperial, UCL and Edinburgh, I got offers from other universities. Still waiting for these three universities to decide one. Both Imperial and UCL have slow processes =(

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but I thought someone should point out that 'criteria' is already plural and therefore doesn't need an 's' after it when you're talking about more than one. The singular is 'criterion'.

-Your friendly neighbourhood grammar Nazi :top2:

ReputationRep:
    I ll definitely join presession course

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

My Criterias:

The way I'd choose, is out of those uni's the top league for CS are Imperial, Edinburgh, York, Southampton, UCL.
    Out of those, I'm not so sure York and Southampton are internationally renowned, leaving you with Imperial, Edinburgh and UCL.
    THen, you take away Imperial since the social life is complained about amongst current students and you're left with Edinburgh and UCL.

ReputationRep:
    I got offers from manchester, york, soton and glasgow.
    It is almost 4 weeks now but i am still waiting from imperial, ucl and edinburgh =(
    Do u think it is normal?

ReputationRep:
    I got offers from manchester, york, soton and glasgow.
    It is almost 4 weeks now but i am still waiting from imperial, ucl and edinburgh =(
    Do u think it is normal?
    Edinburgh and Imperial from what i've gathered seem to be taking quite a while this year.
    I think this may be for all universities though, having reduced places and higher amount of applicants ...so it may just be taking them longer to assign places.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all replies.
    Except Imperial I got unconditional offer from all universities those I ve told you. Now I have to decide. I am going between Manchester and UCL.
    Honestly, I am in trouble with my pocket.
    I will have 850 pounds per month from my sponsor. I am afraid It will not be enough for London because I dont want to share my room with someone else. And as I am social person :P London nightlife may be more expensive for me.
    On the other hand Manchester has great city life and it is much cheaper than London. But I am concerning about It s reputation and education. Job prospects also the case..
    I am in STUCK again !!
    Need for your final recommends =))

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is more friendly By far. Manchester's CS department is one of the best in the UK, without question. Job prospects are good as Manchester is the second biggest city in the UK.

Go to Manchester I wouldn't move to London at the moment.. there are so few jobs, everyone is stressed, employers expect you to work like a dog, and it's getting to level where you have to consider, is it really worth the money?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 7, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.