Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Three successive resonance frequencies in an organ pipe are 1310, 1834 and 2358 Hz, respectively. What is the fundamental frequency?

Right, I know this is open at one end because the ratios of the frequencies come as 1:3:5:7 etc. I also know that f_n = nf_1 where f_1 is the fundamental frequency.

What I did:

EDT: Let me know if this makes sense

f_n = nf_1

and

f_{n+1}=(n+2)f_1

I figured this would make more sense because n has to be odd? I plugged in 1310 for f_n and 1834 for f_n+1, rearranged for n and got n = 5 and hence f_1 = 262 Hz. Does that make sense?

I also confirmed this using the fact that for one open end, the frequencies come in ratios of 1:3:5:7... and given that 1310/1834 has a ratio of 5/7, eventually you find that 1310 is indeed 5 times f_1.

Hope that makes sense

It makes sense ok.
    the 3 frequencies are 5fo, 7fo and 9fo. and give the expected overtones in the odd harmonic series typical of a pipe closed at one end.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.