Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So I Went To The GUM Clinic.... Waste of time? watch

Hey,

So i went to my GUM Clinic and well, I seem to have more questions than before I went.

Basically, I was only tested for Ghonorrea and Chlamydia. The doctor asked if I wanted a HIV test and I said "Yes" but nothing came of it.

Anyway, she tested using throat swabs and I have a few questions to ask. For Chlamydia, I thought you had to pee in a pot or get scraped in your penis. I told her that I mainly recieve oral and occasionally give it. Wouldn't it have been more effective to test my urine than have a throat swap? And if I had caught Chlamydia by recieving oral would it show up in a throat swab?

She also asked if I wanted an anal swab and I said "No". Mainly because I'm top and have never recieved. Does that make a difference?

Basically I kind of feel a bit confused about the whole process. She asked when was the last time I had a pee and I said two hours ago and she said that was fine but then didn't end up testing my urine.

Also, I thought you could get the results for these tests on the same day but I was told i'd have to wait three weeks.

Sorry to moan

There's another clinic a few miles away, do you think i should go there aswell and get a full check up?

ReputationRep:
    I thought HIV tests in the UK are always done with a blood test.
    I know in America they sometimes do throat swabs, and if you test positive for that then you need a blood test to test for HIV.

I think you should go to the other clinic. It's important you know your HIV status, especially as you're a 'top'.

ReputationRep:
    They certainly seem experimental in their procedures. I never knew anal swabs had existed and don't know how I would've taken it had this been suggested to me.

Other than up the arse obviously.

ReputationRep:
    um thats strange. last time i went they did the whole pee in a jar for chlamydia, painful swab for gonorrhoea, blood tests for HIV etc

never ever heard of a throat swab :s. i'd personally go to another GUM clinic

ReputationRep:
    never had throat either, she just looked at my johnson, wee'd in cup and took a blood test. maybe its different for gay men? im assuming that top reference is to do with being gay
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically, I was only tested for Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia. The doctor asked if I wanted a HIV test and I said "Yes" but nothing came of it.

Anyway, she tested using throat swabs and I have a few questions to ask. For Chlamydia, I thought you had to pee in a pot or get scraped in your penis. I told her that I mainly receive oral and occasionally give it. Wouldn't it have been more effective to test my urine than have a throat swap? And if I had caught Chlamydia by receiving oral would it show up in a throat swab?

She also asked if I wanted an anal swab and I said "No". Mainly because I'm top and have never received. Does that make a difference?

Basically I kind of feel a bit confused about the whole process. She asked when was the last time I had a pee and I said two hours ago and she said that was fine but then didn't end up testing my urine.

Also, I thought you could get the results for these tests on the same day but I was told i'd have to wait three weeks.

There's another clinic a few miles away, do you think i should go there aswell and get a full check up?
    You're a man who has sex with other men, aren't you?

If you're in the UK, yes, something is odd and this clinic is not following the best practice guidelines. Do you want to name it?

Given no symptoms, I would expect you to have been tested for chlamydia, syphilis, gonorrhoea, hep B & offered an HIV test. The main variation between clinics should be local preference for testing for chlamydia and gonorrhoea via a urethral swab or urine.

I'm not entirely surprised about having a throat swab, as the bacterial ones will only show up where you have them, but it should have been in addition to the other test. Given their attitude to other tests and your history, I'm surprised by the offer of an anal swab.

Some tests do give same day results, others don't... and tend to be cheaper.

Yeah, I'd definitely try elsewhere.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    I thought HIV tests in the UK are always done with a blood test.
    Oral tests - you rub the insides of the cheeks, rather than rummage around the throat - are used where taking blood isn't suitable, e.g. at a bar or other 'community venue'.

Yes, any positive result would be checked with a blood test before an HIV+ diagnosis was made.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, does sound a bit odd that... :/

GUM clinics are usually pretty thorough. I'm quite cross on your behalf. If you can be bothered I'd go again and demand, but I can understand that you might not want to. Damnit!

Thanks, i'm going to go again later.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.