Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Paranormal Watch

• View Poll Results: Which option is, in your opinion, the most accurate?
    Option A - Liars
    21.74%
    Option B - They're seeing things, lol
    50.00%
    Option C - IT'S ALL REAL!!!!1
    28.26%

ReputationRep:
    Most of us don't believe in ghosts. Most of us haven't seen a ghost, haven't had a close encounter with an alien and have not met a vampire, werewolf, fairy or the Loch Ness Monster.

Yet some people claim to have seen/experienced these "paranormal beings" - or at least, to know someone who has.

This leads to three options:

Option A These people are simply lying. They want attention or they want to appear to be more interesting - whatever the reason, they're making up stories.

Option B These people actually believe they've seen a ghost/alien/spectral dog from another galaxy... however, it was just a hallucination/dream/magic mushrooms/trick of the light. That is to say, they are wrong.

Option C
    These people are right. Ghosts, aliens and fairies all exist - the majority just can't/haven't yet seen them. Or perhaps some people are "more attuned" or whatever.

What do you think?

Also, if you're one of the, erm, Paranormal Witness-type people, feel free to share your... stories in this thread.

Oh, and for clarification, when I mention aliens I'm talking about aliens present on Earth - you know, the sort with the probes. Not "possible inhabitants of another planet we have yet to discover and therefore may or may not believe exist".

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with C. I've experienced ghosts, and I'm 99% sure I'm not crazy.

That said, I make no claims as to what ghosts actually are. I'm atheist and, aside from my experiences confusing the situation, believe that death is the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)

That said, I make no claims as to what ghosts actually are. I'm atheist and, aside from my experiences confusing the situation, believe that death is the end.
    Out of interest, would you care to share the experiences?

ReputationRep:
    B, with a slight dose of A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadigmShift)
    Out of interest, would you care to share the experiences?
    I'd be happy to by PM, certainly, but prefer not to post it all direct as I've done so before and received plenty of abuse for it. :p:

ReputationRep:
    i'm sitting on the wall with this
    i think i've seen a ghost, but at this time i was very tired and coming home from a night out
    so i was more than likely seeing things
    but a couple of years ago i SWEAR i saw someone in my grandma's garden who was there one minute and disappeared seconds later

ReputationRep:

bold: an illogical statement, in order to know that you are crazy (without being told), you must be sane, and vise-versa.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy to by PM, certainly, but prefer not to post it all direct as I've done so before and received plenty of abuse for it. :p:
    :ninja:

plxorz.

I don't really have anything better to spend time on, so ja. :awesome: Cheers.

ReputationRep:

But is that the same as there 'really being ghosts' if you don't make any claims of what they are? Would you still say 'C' if you took 'ghosts' to ONLY mean 'spirits of dead people come back to haunt us'? Even if people have genuine 'paranormal' experiences, that doesn't make the things they claim their experiences are, genuine.

I'd say more B (people especially don't realise how common it is to hallucinate), with a bit of some people have what are to them genuine unexplainable experiences, but there is likely to be something rational and rather more normal explanation that'll be discovered some time in the future (such as some sort of psychological phenomena, which would make sense in terms of when people see 'crisis ghosts' to start with, when someone they know (and who isn't dead) is in trouble).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    bold: an illogical statement, in order to know that you are crazy (without being told), you must be sane, and vise-versa.
    Thank you for changing your sig btw, although you could have put those Bible quotes in there too...

ReputationRep:
    I see them when I close my eyes.

i think im possesed:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually B,but my Dad had an experience that puts him in C. The reason I put myself in B is I also had an experience but there is some doubt and perhaps other explanations. My Dad's. he is either lying or he isn't And ,I don't see why he would lie.

What happened to me was, I was walking to a carpark during the day and you have to go through this kind of alleyway,there was a girl slightly ahead of me who also turned into this alley, and I remember noticing her because she was wearing like the sorts of clothes you see women wearing in the 70's. It just seemed odd anyway, this alley kind of turns in the middle and as I walked round it, she had gone. Like no where to be seen. That alleyway, has an 8ft metal fence all around it with barbed wire, there were no doorways in it,I actually checked because I didn't want to think I was now a beardy weirdy who believes in ghosts. And she couldn't have run off as I would have heard her.But I'm prepared to accept she didn't disappear before my eyes.

In my Dads case,he was doing some decorating in a home we had just moved into.I was just born, and he was wallpapering my room. He felt extremely cold and when he turned round to get a lick of paint there was an old lady standing there and she was smiling at him. She kind of faded before him. He had no idea who she was.Later by chance when they were clearing stuff out a few weeks later he found some old photos.One was of this old lady. She died naturally in the house. He belives she was smiling because she was pleased a nice family had moved in.He never saw her again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    But is that the same as there 'really being ghosts' if you don't make any claims of what they are? Would you still say 'C' if you took 'ghosts' to ONLY mean 'spirits of dead people come back to haunt us'? Even if people have genuine 'paranormal' experiences, that doesn't make the things they claim their experiences are, genuine.
    How do you mean, sorry?

I know that I've had all the experiences I've had, and that really the only 'sensible' (in the loose, non-sensible use of the term) is that the ghosts I've seen are as many claim them to be, but this conflicts with my view of death.

I can't explain it myself, obviously.
    Thoughts include that I'm wrong about my thoughts of death, and that there's something after it (which is the view I'm most against) or that maybe there are two 'parallel' worlds, and that occasionally we 'see' through to the other (though again, this sounds like nonsense even to me, and conflicts with a few of my experiences).

Basically, I may well be crazy, and if not, thinking about this more often might make me so. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    Thank you for changing your sig btw, although you could have put those Bible quotes in there too...
    Pardon?
    My sig hasn't been changed???

ReputationRep:
    Pardon?
    My sig hasn't been changed???
    well you've removed your opinion on Islam...I'd say that's a change.

ReputationRep:
    well you've removed your opinion on Islam...I'd say that's a change.
    oh that, sorry it took me a while to realise. I didn't remove it actually, the administration team edited that part, and just left the facts there, like quotations.

ReputationRep:
    its all real. anyone who thinks otherwise is a dumb atheist who will become a spirit when they die in waiting for the second coming of the lord our saviour jesus christ who will send them to hell to rot lol.

ReputationRep:
    Well I believe in 'ghosts' or whatever. In my old house I lived there for 4 years and couldnt sleep without the light on and sometimes not at all. I could sense there was something there that shouldn't have been and my mum did too. We had lightbulbs smash for no reason, music coming on in the middle of the night....well strange. It hasn't happened for 5 years since we moved to a brand new house :/

ReputationRep:
    oh that, sorry it took me a while to realise. I didn't remove it actually, the administration team edited that part, and just left the facts there, like quotations.
    Oh...well in that case the admin who edited your sig could have inserted some of those Chrsitian quotes too...guess the admins just wanna slate Muslims, and every other religion with a similar view can just get away with it eh? typical...

ReputationRep:
    Oh...well in that case the admin who edited your sig could have inserted some of those Chrsitian quotes too...guess the admins just wanna slate Muslims, and every other religion with a similar view can just get away with it eh? typical...
    ahhh, poor you, because its a big conspiracy against you isn't it :jumphug: but don't worry, you'll be OK.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.