The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

mathperson
ahhh, poor you, because its a big conspiracy against you isn't it :jumphug: but don't worry, you'll be OK.

weel no, because I'm an atheist, not a christian...my views aren't really being slated :p: unless you count my views on fairness
Reply 21
I've never really experienced anything paranormal but I have an open mind. Just because I haven't seen or experienced something first hand, doesn't mean I'll discount it.
Some are liars, like mediums and basically most of the people making money out of it. But quite a lot of them are just genuinely mistaken, because human brains like to see patterns and faces and things when there aren't any.
Reply 23
iwwhty
I've never really experienced anything paranormal but I have an open mind. Just because I haven't seen or experienced something first hand, doesn't mean I'll discount it.

That's the exact mentality I take concerning this paranomal stuff, though I'm slightly more inclined to believe it; my brother used to say he didn't believe in the paranormal but a few years ago he said he woke up in his flat, which was verrrry old, and saw a figure standing by the doorway of his room, he was insistant that it wasn't just a trick of the mind/being half asleep, he said he slept with the light on for a while after that! Heh.
Reply 24
Nutini
That's the exact mentality I take concerning this paranomal stuff, though I'm slightly more inclined to believe it; my brother used to say he didn't believe in the paranormal but a few years ago he said he woke up in his flat, which was verrrry old, and saw a figure standing by the doorway of his room, he was insistant that it wasn't just a trick of the mind/being half asleep, he said he slept with the light on for a while after that! Heh.

Well I say I never experienced anything but I have had a couple of odd experiences.

I remember the last time I saw my dad alive, my mum was driving him to the airport, and I felt compelled to go to the living room window and watch the car drive away, which I never used to do.

I rememer the last time I seen my step father alive as well (at least alive in a conscious state), I was heading back to uni and his dog started howling and crying for no reason at all. Could have been nothing, maybe just a coincidence or something, but those two events always stick in my mind.
I think it's a mix of many different things.
I've never seen a ghost, but I do believe they exist. But I also think most people's experiences of them are probably just psychological - once they're made aware that a ghost might exist, they want themselves to see it as well, and the power of suggestion takes over. Eventually you get to a point where people go to these legendary "most haunted _____" and interpret any noise or anything out of the ordinary as fully blown paranormal activity, and it all just snowballs.
Most paranormal experiences boil down to our imaginations getting away from us.
Personally, I have seen enough evidence to conclude that 'ghosts' do exist, even if we don't know exactly what they are. People seem to have a habit of going "LULZ UR STUPID!!1!1one" if you dare to 'believe' in ghosts, but whatever. I've heard someone hypothesise that rather than actually being people's souls, they are like 'imprints' of a person's existence, which I think is an interesting way of looking at it. As for aliens, well, I've never seen any, so I couldn't say for sure, but wouldn't it be kind of rubbish if human beings were the only civilised beings in existence? Like Eric Idle once sang, "pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!" :p: And as for fairies, LOL no.
I'm going with B, i've seen things before. But upon reflection it was a reaction to medication causing visual and auditory hallucinations.
Reply 28
I"m open minded myself. I have had a few experiences, although have never seen a ghost, that do make me wonder about the whole paranormal thing.Just because I havent actually seen a ghost doesnt mean that they dont exist. I like the "Stone Tape Theory", whereby something that has happened is somehow imprinted in time and there are certain times where it replays itself for whoever is there to see it.....or something along those lines.
Reply 29
I don't buy this crap. :o:
B+C - I belive they're seeing things and it could be true :smile:
I personally haven't experienced this, but I will still vote C.
I haven't experienced anything of that sort. But I am always open to the idea.
Once an alien with probes kidnapped me from a road, held me down and 'probed' me.
I can see it all still so clearly; his skin was a sort of sickly, lurid green, with a slight yellow, jaundice tinge. His eyes were large and vertical; pitch black, shaped like an oval, shiny... as though you were looking into a black pit. They were hypnotising, I thought I could stare into his eyes forever.

His head was an odd shape, with his nose and mouth comprising of a snout, I could explain more but it's all far too terrifying.

When I returned, I was naked, lying in a field, with strange symbols criss crossing my body; they would fade in intensity and then return, but were never more than a charred grey colour. It was as though being under a moving shadow across my skin, but the night sky was clear.

After I lay in the field for around an hour, like Mr Blobby on a sofa; the energy of movement being too much, I managed to get out of my somnolent state of being - I know not what soporific drugs they gave me. The car I had been driving in was totally gone, so I walked, very slowly and as naked and bare as the day I was born, home.

After quiet contemplation in my house, I realised aliens from the planet Xenoid had contacted me. There was nothing for me to do, I went on TSR and made a thread about it.

This was all about 3 years ago, mind, TOTALLY SRS STORY BTW GUIZ.

Aliens are real - I know it.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Once an alien with probes kidnapped me from a road, held me down and 'probed' me.
I can see it all still so clearly; his skin was a sort of sickly, lurid green, with a slight yellow, jaundice tinge. His eyes were large and vertical; pitch black, shaped like an oval, shiny... as though you were looking into a black pit. They were hypnotising, I thought I could stare into his eyes forever.

His head was an odd shape, with his nose and mouth comprising of a snout, I could explain more but it's all far too terrifying.

When I returned, I was naked, lying in a field, with strange symbols criss crossing my body; they would fade in intensity and then return, but were never more than a charred grey colour. It was as though being under a moving shadow across my skin, but the night sky was clear.

After I lay in the field for around an hour, like Mr Blobby on a sofa; the energy of movement being too much, I managed to get out of my somnolent state of being - I know not what soporific drugs they gave me. The car I had been driving in was totally gone, so I walked, very slowly and as naked and bare as the day I was born, home.

After quiet contemplation in my house, I realised aliens from the planet Xenoid had contacted me. There was nothing for me to do, I went on TSR and made a thread about it.

This was all about 3 years ago, mind, TOTALLY SRS STORY BTW GUIZ.

Aliens are real - I know it.

Pics?
I believe in ghosts but not fairies and im not sure about aliens
Reply 35
I've always had an interest in the paranormal and would class myself as an 'open minded sceptic' which puts me somewhere between B+C.

Did anyone watch Strange But True? As a child the opening theme song used to send shivers down my spine... :p: But anyway, the thing that annoys me about such TV shows is when the sceptic attempts to explain away events with increasingly bizarre and unlikely explanations.

For instance, I watched a documentary about spontaneous human combustion and without boring you with the details, the sceptic claimed that ashes from a pipe had blown across the room and ignited the clothes of a woman causing her to burst into flames, in contrast to the account of the two EYEWITNESSES that were present!

So apparently someone that wasn't there can give a better account of what happened than the actual witnesses?! :confused:
Reply 36
mathperson
ahhh, poor you, because its a big conspiracy against you isn't it but don't worry, you'll be OK.

Yes, because you came to a reasoned judgement on your views and didn't just jump on the bandwagon of morons who currently choose Muslims as the modern-day scapegoat. :rolleyes:

You're beyond a joke 'mathperson'. :rofl:
Reply 37
The truth is out there :yes:

But really, I'm not any of those things. I don't believe in all paranormal things but I've had experiences and I know many others who have and I think there are some things which simply cannot be explained by science. 90% of the time there will probably be a logical explanation to a paranormal event but I think its stupid to assume we know everything about how this world works.

Latest

Trending

Trending