Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How can I compensate for my acne scars? watch

Announcements

How can I compensate for my acne scars to make myself more attractive?

I am talking about atrophic scarring, depressions in the skin, not discolourations.

Will having a good physique and sense of style help, or should I just accept that I am likely to be unattractive to the opposite sex?

If I accept my scarring and and appear confident regardless, will this also make me more attractive?

I know a lot of you will say that most girls won't be bothered (I'm a guy) to make me feel better, but I am realistic and know that it will be very hard for me to find someone who will be attracted to me.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Your lack of confidence is no doubt dragging you down for a start, you think all girls go out with people judged solely by their looks?

There has to be some sort of attraction though surely? I don't know how to be confident, I dislike my complexion to the point of not being able to look people in the eye.

ReputationRep:
    Facial piercings

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly, you don't need to compensate!
    You sound like you've got the rest sorted, so stop worrying.
    Brad Pitt has quite bad acne scars on his face, and he's generally considered one of the most attractive men on the planet.

if a person doesn't understand that acne will go away eventually or that its just a natural/unhelped occurance for most people
    then is it worth trying to impress that person?

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend had seriously bad acne when she was about 15 (this was before I met her). She was on Roaccutane and has some facial scarring.

To be honest, when I first met her, I barely noticed it. It's not really something that stands out, I don't think, unless you're looking for it. She does use a fair amount of make-up, and tells me there's a technique involved in not applying too much to avoid highlighting it. I'm not exactly the expert on this part :p:

Anyway, I don't look at her face and think, wow, she's got acne scars. It's just her face. I seriously doubt anyone notices this as much as you do, and ultimately anyone who's worth your time won't care what your face looks like (excuse the platitude).

I'll ask her advice...

ReputationRep:
    I will link you to this post by Brooke Magnanti / Belle de Jour:

http://belledejour-uk.blogspot.com/2...75827975761270

ReputationRep:
    penis enlargement :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Massive knob?

I joke

Just be nice and friendly and everything should fall into place

Didn't you read the OP he doesn't have just discolouration he has atrophic scarring which is a lot harder to hide and get rid of because it can leave permanent marks in the skin.
    OP I think you should visit a dermatologist, they could hopefully be able to improve your skin, of course it won't be 100% perfect but it should help improve a few of them.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought they look pretty hard and cool tbh, kind of an offbeat facial characteristic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD005)
    Your lack of confidence is no doubt dragging you down for a start, you think all girls go out with people judged solely by their looks?
    Looks play a very very big part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Looks play a very very big part
    In today's shallow society yes.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't notice my bfs scars or his acne, I don't see it unless I am thinking about it, and he probably doesn't see mine, in the same way. We both have (almost "had" !!) bad acne so we don't judge each other, we do share ideas of the latest things we have used that have improved it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indieboohoo)
    Didn't you read the OP he doesn't have just discolouration he has atrophic scarring which is a lot harder to hide and get rid of because it can leave permanent marks in the skin.
    OP I think you should visit a dermatologist, they could hopefully be able to improve your skin, of course it won't be 100% perfect but it should help improve a few of them.
    I think i have an idea solving your acne problem and making you irresistible to the ladies, cut a 10cm long slit on the side of your face it will leave cover your acne scar and leave you with sex appeal and you have a cool story girls love violence, i'm not sure what you do after 17/18 either hang round schools or council estates to pick up girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    Well I don't notice my bfs scars or his acne, I don't see it unless I am thinking about it, and he probably doesn't see mine, in the same way. We both have (almost "had" !!) bad acne so we don't judge each other, we do share ideas of the latest things we have used that have improved it though
    On a serious note, what products do you use? I currently use Panoxyl Acnegel 10 i used to use 5 which isn't as strong but i haven't had any noticeable differences since changing have you used any of this? If so how does it compare to what you are using or have used

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    In today's shallow society yes.
    Are you saying you would "go out" with someone thats a lot more uglier than yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anoneemous)
    On a serious note, what products do you use? I currently use Panoxyl Acnegel 10 i used to use 5 which isn't as strong but i haven't had any noticeable differences since changing have you used any of this? If so how does it compare to what you are using or have used
    You were prescribed that I assume? My boyfriend uses it, he also has an antibiotic and Duac gel though so it's difficult to tell what the Panoxyl wash has done on its own if you know what I mean. I don't think it has done much though to be honest, I think it is the antibiotic that is working for him the most.

I currently use Clean & Clear Shine Control Daily Facial Scrub and Quinoderm antibacterial facewash. However I do not think face wash products have an effect on me, they never have really, and if they do, the effects only last a month or so. I recommend changing brands every month or so, or every time you finish a tube of facewash, otherwise your skin will build up a tolerance to the one you use regularly. I also recommend you using the scrub ones, I feel like they get the crap off your face much better than smooth washes. Also, when you change brand, it doesn't matter if you are using the cheapest ones really, they all have similar ingredients in them (apart from Panoxyl which has benzoyl peroxide in). I think you should stick to Panoxyl though if you have been prescribed that (I would love to try Panoxyl!)

I have tried Differin gel (prescribed) as well which didn't do anything. And I tried the Freederm range which was a waste of money, it worked like the rest of them, improved for a month and then went back to normal.

I suggest you see the doc about Duac gel/cream which also has benzoyl peroxide in. I love the stuff now. It works by getting rid of comedones (blackheads and whiteheads) and I have really noticed this difference, my nose looks beautiful!! I also don't tend to get the spots with white stuff in anymore (sorry to be crude), I just occasionally get the big nasty painful ones. I have been using the stuff since just before xmas. I noticed the biggest difference within the first week, then it got worse but now it's SLOWLY but steadily getting better and better! (though I am braced for a breakout any time soon, out of habit!)

I have tried sooo many different products, nothing has ever really worked apart from when I went on antibiotics, but even then the acne came back after 2 years

If all else fails, try and get some antibiotics, they work (most of the time). I used Minocycline and my bf is using Oxytetracycline. The Oxytetracycline seem to have a slower effect than Minocycline though, and you also have to take them at certain times before or after food.

Hope that helped somewhat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Are you saying you would "go out" with someone thats a lot more uglier than yourself?
    If you fall in love with their personality, you would tend not to notice their looks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.