Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Guys I really need some help on this. I have a deferred entry offer from southampton to start in sept 2010. However last year I got diagnosed with a condition (it's not a physical disability), in fact it doesn't really affect me. Anyway the medical school have referred me to occupational health and my doctors are going to assess my fitness to practice. If i am found to be unfit to practice does this mean i will NEVER be able to study medicine, not even if i do it as a grad!!!

ReputationRep:
    How can anyone help if you don't disclose the condition? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    hmm - i thought i said what it was. evidently not. anyway i have a very small tumour in my brain which im having surgery for in may which is what everyone is panicking about. i also have had a history of mild depression. by september i should be fully recovered but all this GMC fitness to practice stuff scares the living daylights out of me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd91)
    hmm - i thought i said what it was. evidently not. anyway i have a very small tumour in my brain which im having surgery for in may which is what everyone is panicking about. i also have had a history of mild depression. by september i should be fully recovered but all this GMC fitness to practice stuff scares the living daylights out of me
    I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. They always take precautions like this as they have to be absolutely sure your condition won't affect your work. There are doctors with all sorts of disabilities, many of them more debilitating than yours, so I'm sure you will be fine. I read an article in the BMJ about this. I'm really sorry to hear your bad news!

ReputationRep:
    Calm down. Everyone who tells the medical school they have a medical condition (or history of a medical condition) gets sent to Occupational Health. It's more to assess how they can help you when you arrive than preventing you getting there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Calm down. Everyone who tells the medical school they have a medical condition (or history of a medical condition) gets sent to Occupational Health. It's more to assess how they can help you when you arrive than preventing you getting there.
    Your joking booooo i hate doctors.

ReputationRep:
    just threaten to run a story with the daily mail if they do not let you in Serioulsy though, I do not think the brain tumour will be the problem. The depression would be the sticking point, however provided it is better/managed I assume things will be alright?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Your joking booooo i hate doctors.
    Seems like you're headed for the wrong course then....

Of course they make you see Occ Health if you disclose a medical problem - they can't ascertain from a questionnaire the extent of your problems and how best to deal with them. Otherwise, they could get an applicant saying "have disability, in wheelchair", and the equivalent of Stephen Hawking turns up. Applicants aren't defined by the disability they state on their forms, they're defined by the tasks they are capable of doing and the support they require to complete the course successfully, which has to be assessed by the medical school in question.

ReputationRep:
    They do this to everyone OP, regardless of condition most universities may do an OH general asessment anyway regardless of what has been declared. It wont necessarily judge whether you're fit to be a student, but more what they can do to help, ie academically, on placement etc. My friend who had an operation on her toe 3 weeks before the course had to go to one lol Your place on the course would be more compromised if you hadn't declared it!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I had to visit Occy Health as I had been suffering from depression and the doc was really nice. All he did is ask me questions about how it had affected me, how I was coping at the time and what help I was getting. Its really not that scary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Seems like you're headed for the wrong course then....
    Haha aslong as they arent poking at my nose im fine with doctors

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.