Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was basically hoping you guys could proof-read this letter of complaint, hoping I don't come out to sarcy or *****y, and tell me if there is anything I should change

Dear Sir/Madam,

On the 11th February 2010 I was, as usual, sitting with a group of my friends in your Maidstone store, when the Assistant Manager, Celia *****, approached us and very rudely informed us that we each had to purchase something or we would have to leave. At this point I would like to mention that I was in a group of five, three of whom had already purchased drinks. I personally had spent £5, and I believe my friends had spent roughly the same amount of money. This resulted in a scene in which I felt we were treated in an extremely patronising manner, and made to feel as if we were disrupting the experience of fellow customers. We were told to stop acting like "schoolchildren" and being "immature", which I feel, coming from management is extremely rude, especially as we are all over 16 and were not acting in a disruptive manner. I would also like to mention that I have also received exquisite service from the other baristas, and expect nothing from any other member of staff at this store.

Personally, I have spent at least £65 in this store over the last three months, and as many of my friends love the cafe, I am sure that as a group we have spent a lot of money at your store. I do not wish to organise any further action that we could take against this store, but I am afraid that I will organise a boycott of both of your Maidstone branches if I, and my friends (whose names can be given upon request), do not receive a formal apology from Ms. Small by the 28th of February.

Yours sincerly,

Miranda *****

ReputationRep:
    anyone?
    i just wanna send it tonight..

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of the "as usual" at the start, makes you sound like a **** to be honest, and very smug
    Also remove stuff about the boycott and further action, dont threaten them.

Just say how dissapointed you were and you would like an apology before you visit in future. Getting an apology will be tough enough, threatening them with futher action is just going to be the nail in the coffin. And i seriously doubt they will take your boycott seriously

ReputationRep:
    With letters of complaint, always mention that you will be telling friends and family about the bad service.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would take out the threat to boycott them at the end, but good luck, she seems like a snob.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Get rid of the "as usual" at the start, makes you sound like a **** to be honest, and very smug
    Also remove stuff about the boycott and further action, dont threaten them.

Just say how dissapointed you were and you would like an apology before you visit in future. Getting an apology will be tough enough, threatening them with futher action is just going to be the nail in the coffin. And i seriously doubt they will take your boycott seriously
    even if they don't take it seriously, so what? i think they are more likely to take it seriously if i complain about further action than just say "or else"

and nail in the coffin of what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I would reword the boycotting part, just say that your impression of the store has been tainted and you have told your friends / family about the poor service etc. The more extreme your letter, the LESS likely they will take it seriously - if you act level headed action is more likely to be taken. The fact you are even writing a letter is significant as (I am guessing this is a chain store) they will have to put it down on record as a formal complaint which is quite damaging to whoever the manager of the store is.

Also, you edited out her surname at the start of the letter then referred to her as "Ms. Small" if you are trying to hide her name then that's a bit of a giveaway :P.

ReputationRep:
    But you do go to school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    Also, you edited out her surname at the start of the letter then referred to her as "Ms. Small" if you are trying to hide her name then that's a bit of a giveaway :P.

whoops. i am a massive fail.

ReputationRep:
    Umm
    You starred out the women's last name, but then later on said 'Ms Small'
    Anonimity fail?

Apart from that, take out the threat, and tis all good.

EDIT: Oops, didn't spot someone already said that. My bad.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Your letter just sounds immature. I doubt they will take any notice of it.

ReputationRep:
    guys - keep the request for the apology or is it never gunna happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Your letter just sounds immature. I doubt they will take any notice of it.
    surely its always worth complaining if I feel I was mistreated as a regular customer...

apathy is awesome(!)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    surely its always worth complaining if I feel I was mistreated as a regular customer...

apathy is awesome(!)
    Yeah, it's fine to complain. It's just stupid to complain about being called immature and then go on to make immature threats and statements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Yeah, it's fine to complain. It's just stupid to complain about being called immature and then go on to make immature threats and statements.
    I liked this. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    fair play. how would you suggest i made it less immature?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Explain why she was rude. It's fine for them to expect you to purchase things if you want to sit there, so that isn't rude in itself. And just because you purchased something doesn't mean it was recently; again, they can ask you to leave if you've finished.

"This resulted in a scene" suggests you were being disruptive at that point. If you are, then it's fine to ask you to leave.

Then your end is just pathetic. OMG, you and your friends are gonna "boycott". Well, they asked you to leave so it's not like they wanted you there anyway, is it?

Your letter shows nothing that was actually bad service. If she was rude, show how - it just sounds like you've reacted in a bad way to a reasonable request.

If I received that letter I would just ban you from my store anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I was basically hoping you guys could proof-read this letter of complaint, hoping I don't come out to sarcy or *****y, and tell me if there is anything I should change

Dear Sir/Madam,

On the 11th February 2010 I was, as usual, sitting with a group of my friends in your Maidstone store, when the Assistant Manager, Celia *****, approached us and very rudely informed us that we each had to purchase something or we would have to leave. At this point I would like to mention that I was in a group of five, three of whom had already purchased drinks. I personally had spent £5, and I believe my friends had spent roughly the same amount of money. This resulted in a scene in which I felt we were treated in an extremely patronising manner, and made to feel as if we were disrupting the experience of fellow customers. We were told to stop acting like "schoolchildren" and being "immature", which I feel, coming from management is extremely rude, especially as we are all over 16 and were not acting in a disruptive manner. I would also like to mention that I have also received exquisite service from the other baristas, and expect nothing from any other member of staff at this store.

Personally, I have spent at least £65 in this store over the last three months, and as many of my friends love the cafe, I am sure that as a group we have spent a lot of money at your store. I do not wish to organise any further action that we could take against this store, but I am afraid that I will organise a boycott of both of your Maidstone branches if I, and my friends (whose names can be given upon request), do not receive a formal apology from Ms. Small by the 28th of February.

Yours sincerly,

Miranda *****
    where you standing around for long?
    tbh teenagers who crowd (yeh it was only 3 or 4) around in the shop that I work in for aggges are very annoying and can be disruptive. It's also intimidating (for both staff and customers) and how can we be sure that you're not shoplifting?

some teens were grouped around the freezer at work and when they left we noticed that they'd emptied a full 2ltr bottle of coke into the freezer all over the items. £200 worth of wasted stock right there :mad:

So, sorry if that's offended you, just please look at it from the staff's piont of view

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Cat)
    where you standing around for long?
    tbh teenagers who crowd (yeh it was only 3 or 4) around in the shop that I work in for aggges are very annoying and can be disruptive. It's also intimidating (for both staff and customers) and how can we be sure that you're not shoplifting?

some teens were grouped around the freezer at work and when they left we noticed that they'd emptied a full 2ltr bottle of coke into the freezer all over the items. £200 worth of wasted stock right there :mad:

So, sorry if that's offended you, just please look at it from the staff's piont of view
    i do get what you mean but we were five (very) regulars, grammar school girls in a costa coffee :P

ReputationRep:
    i do get what you mean but we were five (very) regulars, grammar school girls in a costa coffee :P

probably on a power trip :dontknow:

I'm sure you feel like complaining but tbh I can't help but think it will get you nowhere

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.