Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why should the British Public pay £20million+ for the Pope to come visit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    We all know how rich the Catholic Church is. This seems like an outlandish waste of taxpayer funds. Especially considering the cutbacks in public services.

If you're against it, sign here:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/petition-the-pm.html

ReputationRep:
    Already signed.

The Vatican is worth some £15bn. At least. He can pay his own damn way.

ReputationRep:
    I agree completely. The fact it's the venomous and hateful Benedict makes this even more appalling.

ReputationRep:
    I hear you sister.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's an absolute affront to the people of this country. It also doesn't help that the man is a complete ****.

EDIT: Signed.

ReputationRep:
    The argument is surely simple supply and demand.

Visits from the Pope (whether you like him or not) are too many people hugely desirable.

In order to secure the services of an in demand service, as with all things in life, you have to pay the price.

ReputationRep:
    Get lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Get lost.
    How democratic of you.

ReputationRep:
    Signed it.

I'm not religious, I don't want to pay for him to come over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    The argument is surely simple supply and demand.

Visits from the Pope (whether you like him or not) are too many people hugely desirable.

In order to secure the services of an in demand service, as with all things in life, you have to pay the price.
    Is it really though? 4million Catholics in a country with a population of roughly 60million? Not value for money to the vast majority.

ReputationRep:
    It's nice to have a bloke who stands up for sensibility - and this is from an Anglican (albeit one with strong Catholic sympathies)

ReputationRep:
    I hate the pope, what a complete douchebag :dry:
    I hope he gets physically attacked here like he was recently in Vatican.

ReputationRep:
    cause he's jesus, or something a long those lines

ReputationRep:
    I've just checked my bank statement and I haven't paid anything to the pope.

ReputationRep:
    See sig.
    Look at the last petition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    I've just checked my bank statement and I haven't paid anything to the pope.
    You will.

ReputationRep:
    Signed.
    I don't see why we should pay for him to come over. Especially if it's just to criticise how we run our own country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Is it really though? 4million Catholics in a country with a population of roughly 60million? Not value for money to the vast majority.
    Many things have over-inflated costs though which would not appear value for money for the majority.

Take Jonathan Ross, for example. He is paid £18 million a year by our State funded BBC so that 5 million people can watch his TV show and listen to his radio show. Do the majority of people think he is good value for that money? I doubt it - but that is the going rate and we as the taxpayer pay it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Last time the Pope visited, in 1982, of the 250k that went to his Bellahousten Park visit, 10k were estimated to be non-Catholic. The man is interesting to those beyond his own faith.

I'm apathetic towards this really, erring on the side of "I think we should pay it".

ReputationRep:
    The pope looks like Emperor whatshisface from Star Wars.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.