Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why should the British Public pay £20million+ for the Pope to come visit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Already signed ages ago. This is old man.

But yeah seriously, wtf is the government thinking? No government money should ever fund any religious thing. It's up to the institution to fund itself and if it's too poor then tough titties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Is it really though? 4million Catholics in a country with a population of roughly 60million? Not value for money to the vast majority.
    Indeed.

Perhaps we could get them to pay a fiver each...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    Last time the Pope visited, in 1982, of the 250k that went to his Bellahousten Park visit, 10k were estimated to be non-Catholic. The man is interesting to those beyond his own faith.

I'm apathetic towards this really, erring on the side of "I think we should pay it".
    This time that 10k will be protestors though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Many things have over-inflated costs though which would not appear value for money for the majority.

Take Jonathan Ross, for example. He is paid £18 million a year by our State funded BBC so that 5 million people can watch his TV show and listen to his radio show. Do the majority of people think he is good value for that money? I doubt it - but that is the going rate and we as the taxpayer pay it.
    The Pope has decided to come to the UK, he's not a product or a service which we are bidding for. If he doesn't want to pay his bill in order to meet and greet the minority of Catholics, then he can stay in the Vatican. This is nothing like choosing to go out, buy a television then paying your licence fee so that the BBC can pay presenters a market value wage.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind him visiting. He can come if he likes. I don't even care about what he believes or says. I just don't want to have to pay for him to do so.

ReputationRep:
    This time that 10k will be protestors though.
    Baws.

Bellahousten is in Glasgow, do you not think there were protests last time? There were, led by Pastor Jack Glass et al. Didn't stop non-Catholics being interested, not all non-Catholics hold an anti-Catholic stance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveinnorfolk)
    It's nice to have a bloke who stands up for sensibility - and this is from an Anglican (albeit one with strong Catholic sympathies)
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    If he doesn't want the church to be under certain laws (e.g. the equality bill), his travel plans shouldn't be either.

ReputationRep:
    God knows.

ReputationRep:
    Next you'll be asking them to cancel the Olympics 2012

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    The Pope has decided to come to the UK, he's not a product or a service which we are bidding for. If he doesn't want to pay his bill in order to meet and greet the minority of Catholics, then he can stay in the Vatican. This is nothing like choosing to go out, buy a television then paying your licence fee so that the BBC can pay presenters a market value wage.
    Papal visits are much sort after politically(whether you agree with them or not is a completely different point). As is the accepted practice with such official visits the hosting country pays the bill.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: £20m for a visit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    I can see the benefits of the 2012 Olymipcs though. Agglomeration, improved infastructure and facilities, tourism, lasting legacy etc...

Whereas the Pope is coming to tell us he hates our country and a large proportion of us are unequal to others.

ReputationRep:
    I AM Catholic. I may not believe half of the stuff the church says and I may not go to church more than 4 times a year BUT I still have some Catholic faith and I have respect for the church and the pope.

However, I find it ridiculous to have to pay for him to visit which is why I signed

ReputationRep:
    I'm willing to pay my part if it's understood that he is ours for the time we paid for him. Rent-a-clown style. So no **** speeches and certainly no more sexist and homophobic and just plain stupid preaching. Just stick him on a stage and make him juggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    The Olympics is a celebration of the very best of human culture. An old, theocratic billionaire head of state visiting is a celebration of the very worst.

ReputationRep:
    i wanna know the breakdown in costs

get him an easyjet flight over, bit of security, throw in some pasta, a cornetto hat

£350 tops

its the bloody credit crunch just make it a budget visit

id be astounded if he did come without uproar at the costs which would cause me to do this :eek4:

and then this :sly:

and finally, this :bhangra:

ReputationRep:
    All catholics are scum!!!!!!!!

Seriously though pope is free to come, as long as he pays. Don't understand why we would pay him to come here, since we are technically a protestant country.

(I'm joking about all catholics are scum btw, so don't get all high and mighty with me. Some catholics are fine.)

ReputationRep:
    I...

Whereas the Pope is coming to tell us he hates our country and a large proportion of us are unequal to others.
    We have an established Church in this country and some of its members have peerages in the upper house of the legislature. They hold many of the same beliefs as the Pope. Honestly, you'd think we were a secular country reading this thread. Public money is spent on all religions, opposing the papal visit on this ground is very weak.

I guess that you've revealed one of the true reasons for opposing his visit in that sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyoucool/symmetrical?)
    i wanna know the breakdown in costs

get him an easyjet flight over, bit of security, throw in some pasta, a cornetto hat
    £350 tops

its the bloody credit crunch just make it a budget visit

id be astounded if he did come without uproar at the costs which would cause me to do this :eek4:

and then this :sly:

and finally, this :bhangra:
    :laugh:

His Pope mobile can be a Fiat 500 :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.