Turn on thread page Beta

Why should the British Public pay £20million+ for the Pope to come visit? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It isn't. It's a nonsense figure popped up by some thick atheist tosser with an agenda.
    It does seem like quite a stupid figure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Ummm, it is actually. HH told them to practise abstinence. A U.S. study looked at 662 black children aged 11 to 15, divided into four groups.

Each was given a different type of education - eight hour-long abstinence-only classes, lessons on safe sex, classes using both approaches or lessons on general health with no sex element.
    Two years later, 33.5 per cent of abstinence-only students admitted having had sex, against 49 per cent of each of the other three groups.

So the Pope was right. Case closed.

Soo.. What you're saying is that if black children get it drilled into them from a young age that they should only practice abstinence only a third of them will admit to having sex within two years? While if they're educated on safe sex, half of them will admit. So what?

How can you not see that it's smarter to educate on safe sex? Everyone (even devout catholics) will make 'mistakes' (if you can call having sex outside marriage a mistake (which it should be viewed as)) so why not help lower the chances of spreading aids when this mistake is made?

ReputationRep:
    Signed.

Why does it cost so damn much?

ReputationRep:
    Signed. I'm not religious, I don't want to see him, let alone pay to see him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It isn't. It's a nonsense figure popped up by some thick atheist tosser with an agenda.
    I agree partly with this, I would like to see some more sources to back up this claim, also I get the feeling people are jumping on an anti-papal bandwagon (not an inherently bad thing) but you are ignoring the fact that this trip is a part spiritual/part diplomatic trip (he is representing the Vatican City State)...once we are talking diplomatic trips, who else do we not ensure security for? I don't like the Saudi Royal Family or the Chinese government or come to think of it Silvio Berlusconi...do we insist they pay as well?

Basically the crux of this post is does it really cost this much money? If it does then we should suggest/politely demand that the Holy See contribute partly or wholly - just like football clubs do to police costs at games - to the cost of this protection. So I might sign this, I just need some more sources? Confirmation of cost?

ReputationRep:
    Let's cut the university budget by £449,000,000! Oh! But also let spend £20,000,000 on allowing some guy from Italy visit the country, spreading his great advice on how condoms are bad, as he did in Africa.

Seriously, I don't understand who the hell makes these decisions.

The Catholic church is rich enough to pay, why the hell should the people of Britain, not everybody is religious, let alone catholic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Ummm, it is actually. HH told them to practise abstinence. A U.S. study looked at 662 black children aged 11 to 15, divided into four groups.

Each was given a different type of education - eight hour-long abstinence-only classes, lessons on safe sex, classes using both approaches or lessons on general health with no sex element.
    Two years later, 33.5 per cent of abstinence-only students admitted having had sex, against 49 per cent of each of the other three groups.

So the Pope was right. Case closed.
    Case closed? If my maths is right, it works out that 25 extra people (in a pool of 662) in one study claimed that they stayed abstinent because of how they were taught. It's hardly conclusive proof.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    I agree partly with this, I would like to see some more sources to back up this claim, also I get the feeling people are jumping on an anti-papal bandwagon (not an inherently bad thing) but you are ignoring the fact that this trip is a part spiritual/part diplomatic trip (he is representing the Vatican City State)...once we are talking diplomatic trips, who else do we not ensure security for? I don't like the Saudi Royal Family or the Chinese government or come to think of it Silvio Berlusconi...do we insist they pay as well?

Basically the crux of this post is does it really cost this much money? If it does then we should suggest/politely demand that the Holy See contribute partly or wholly - just like football clubs do to police costs at games - to the cost of this protection. So I might sign this, I just need some more sources? Confirmation of cost?
    It may be a bit steep, but you have to consider security costs (like his crazy bullet proof car thing), catering, private jet, police help etc etc.

To be honest there are some pretty obvious benefits from having the likes of Berlusconi or the Chinese government visit. They represent major countries who we must at least try and get along with.
    The Vatican City on the other hand? I can't see any possible benefits of working with these people.

ReputationRep:
    I'm more annoyed at the possibility of having to bail out Greece.

ReputationRep:
    Would be a bit of a kick in the teeth if we pay for him to come over then he starts preaching about how we should stop being so focussed on equality for all and let the church opt out of laws because of their opinions (yes opinions, not "religious beliefs" or any other buzz word they want to use).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.