Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

honestly: are looks the most important thing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To me looks are not taken in to account (to an extent) Personality is win.
    My bf has an amazing personality and is average looking. Yet I love him to bits

People always tell me im naturally pretty, and sometimes comment on why me and my boyfriend are together :O
    Sometimes people ask my bf how on earth he got me (meaning hes just average looking compared to me) I think this is soo shallow and makes my bf feel that he doesn't deserve me - or is not good enough.
    (Even random chavs down the street have commented, when we've been out together)

To me there is nothing more attractive than personality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devotchka_)
    Looks aren't the most important thing, if a guy has a cracking sense of humour but average, I generally find him irresistible.

Don't worry about not being slim, in my experience guys prefer curvy girls to skinny ones.
    May I ask, where you live? Competition for slim girls seems to be lower there. Thx for the information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patientology)
    May I ask, where you live? Competition for slim girls seems to be lower there. Thx for the information.
    Wow, aren't you just a treat!

ReputationRep:
    Not really tbh, i think the most important thing about a person is their personality...i just wish i had enough confidence to actually get to know a guy that well oh well....

ReputationRep:
    whilst looks count, personality is much more important, anyway, I prefer my girls to be curvy (not fat) as I HATE skinny girls...

anyway, how can we judge if we can't see a picture

ReputationRep:
    I think of it like a chemical reaction.

No matter how well suited or stable they would be together they simply won't get together if they aren't attracted to each other/there isn't that initial spark of energy.

That is of course under standard conditions i.e. sober with no peer pressure.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not, seeing as I have more than a passing resemblance to Brian Peppers yet somehow managed to land myself a boyfriend who looks like a Japanese idol. Mind you, our personalities and interests are pretty well matched and thanks to the long distance, it's not even like he has to see me that often.

I'd say personality is a way bigger factor than looks. For me anyway. Doesn't matter how aesthetically pleasing a person is, I'll be all "gtfo" if they've got a personality similar to that of a sewerage drain.

ReputationRep:
    It's bad luck I'd probably think. It's a shame that this happens sometimes but it depends a lot on the crowds of people you spend time with and sometimes it's just plain unlucky.

I think, and I know there are a fair few who'd agree with me, that looks and attractiveness are two subtly different things. I like to use Paris Hilton as an example... she has very good looks, but is absolutely utterly unattractive to me, so boring, thick, slutty, etc.

Of course, looks are the first and most immediate factor that people will consider, and it makes a big difference, but its definitely not the only or the most important factor, at least not for me, there are some people who might disagree, but many many more who would back me up, I know.

It can actually be quite a hard thing to do sometiems, looking for a partner, even girls I know who I would consider to be highly attractive have difficulty. I have many female friends and most of them have good looks, but many of them have been single for ages and find themselves in a similar situation to yourself.

It also depends on what sort of relationship you and a prospective partner are after. If it's something of a brief companionship to better enjoy the next period of your life and to avoid sexual frustration etc. a casual sort of relationship, then looks will play a more important role. If however it's something more serious, more long term and more committed, then personality, intelect, opinions, values, mannerisms, goals and so much more will become increasingly more of a factor, to the extent that it's possible to be very much attracted to someone, without holding their looks in very high regard at all.

Anyway, bottom line, keep trying, mixing up the people you meet and the situations you meet them in. I assure you you'll find someone sooner or later, hopefully soooner. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    For me, i find looks to be an initial starting point in which i may become attracted to someone, it gives a person a certain edge. Like normally there is a button, which needs to be pressed, where good-looking people find the button easier, not so good-looking people have to find it with personality/wit/intelligence.

I may sound superficial, and that is fair, but i find, once i get to know you looks suddenly fall in priority ten-fold, as someone said earlier. If i could choose between a pretty girl with no personality, and an average girl with a personality it would be the average one every time.

ReputationRep:
    They are in intial attraction, but after that, no wayy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyper-maniac92)
    i consider myself a pretty decent person. im open minded, im not aggressive at all unless its completley neccesary, everyone says im a really nice person and bubbly, yet i cant for the life of me get a boyfriend ¬¬

i don't think im too bad looking, but im not exactly slim (not fat either) so by my experiences most people seem to value looks above all else, is this true or am i just having bad luck? lol
    The law of 'anyone who describes themself as bubbly is always fat' strikes again.

ReputationRep:
    Look are important, id say that is fairly obvious to most human beings who are being honest. I don't think that you can deny looks are a big factor in a relationship or just attracting a person in general.

HOWEVER i think personality is a really big factor in attraction too, it really all depends on what kind of thing your looking for to be honest. If you are looking for a quick meaningless fling then i think looks are a lot more important (Or desperation for some people) but if your looking for something deeper i think personality over rides looks.

I mean look at some examples like Adrian chiles getting with that stunner from the one show! hes not attractive in the slightest and because hes funny and spends alot of time with her he got in there whereas if he was just boring bloke he would have had no chance!

Looks matter and i think everyone should maximize what they have to increase their chances with perspective partners but a large part of it is in the head whether it be your own self confidence or your personality.

ReputationRep:
    You're the kind of person who calls themselves hyper-maniac92 and writes "I am a bit of a random crazy person" in their profile. I wouldn't touch you with a stick.

ReputationRep:
    No, they're not. But attraction is very important but that's about alot more than looks.

ReputationRep:
    no-one would go out with a sexy serial rapist, put it that way

ReputationRep:
    i don't stick around to find out the personality of ugly girls
    sorry uglies but i've got no time for you there's plenty of hot girls with great personalities to boot

ReputationRep:
    its strange how I feel exactly the same as you,. we could be twins haha
    but i do think that, don't keep waiting for a boyfriend, be content with who you are and the friends you have and just put it to the back of your mind because I believe when you least expect it or havent even thought about it that someone will just reveal themselves. and dont fall down the trap of thinking there is something wrong with you, there is nothing wrong with you at all oh dear cheesy i know, but its true.

ReputationRep:
    No, otherwise my boyfriend would definitely not be with me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is!

PLease folks lets not kid ourselves! why is it that the ugly one always goes home alone at the end of a night out?

As animals we seek out the best looking mate! Personality will always come after sexual attraction! Why do people think its ok to say otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    Initially, they're important.

Actually, wait. I think they're very important. I couldn't be with someone I wasn't physically attracted to, and I'm not attracted to ugly people. Sure, personality's a major factor too, but to actually get to understanding someone's personality, I have to be physically attracted to them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.