Turn on thread page Beta

Smoking-creating problems between me & GF watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanishdream)
    I detest smokers and their attitudes towards passive smoking. They're a very few that I know that make sure they're not giving their cancer stick smoke to someone else as others just light up anywhere they bloomin' well feel like. (outside of course).

My Mum smokes but confines it to the kitchen. She believes that it doesn't leave the kitchen and it's like a family pet that knows it's boundaries. It just stops, dead on the door line does it? When I'm in my room, I can smell it in the air coming upstairs. When I come home from the Gym, college or whatever, I can immediately smell it as I work through the door. The house smells like someone smokes in there. Which can't be nice for guests.

However, there are issues of individuality here OP. Your girlfriend doesn't seem dependent on them, just merely enjoys the one now and again. Not many people kick the habit 100% in my opinion and there is always a temptation to go back for old times sake. (So ex-smokers have told me).

I don't think you can change her ways. It's up to her to want to quit, not specifically for you.
    and you're still alive? you are one tough cookie!

ReputationRep:
    Make up to her by kissing her while she was smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccioJellyBean)
    I'm on your side OP, it's RIDICULOUS to smoke anyway, let alone when you don't have an addiction. You could ask her what her pet hate about you is and make deals to both sort these issues out?
    lmaoooooooooooooooooooooo are you that girl who cried when you only got As at GCSE??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanningforlifeforms)
    basically i loathe smokers. Utterly loathe them. The merest hint of cigarette smoke has me coughing like mad. Unfortunately my girlfriend smokes. Not regularly (as apparently she used to before we dated), but irregularly when we go out.
    I have the exact same thing OP about the smoking. If I smell the tiniest bit of cigarette smoke I somehow get trouble breathing and almost feel asthmatic. I have had it as long as I can remember so I can't stand smokers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    and you're still alive? you are one tough cookie!
    That's because I'm absolutely amazing, that's why.

But seriously though, it's bad. Especially as I'm into fitness. :woo:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Anoneemous)
    I think you have your facts wrong. It was proven under oath in 1994 there were no harmful effects
    PS im negging you for this

a) I don't
    b) go for it, your rep power = 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mac29)
    whoa, he didnt say anything about breaking up. jheez.:eyebrow:

regardless, OP just deal with it, I kissed a smoker the other night and even though her mouth tasted like an old barbecue grill, I couldnt care less! just learn to live with it and tell her not to blow into into ur face obviously. no point in making it a big deal and scarring ur relationship.
    No but he did say it was "threatening the relationship", which implies the relationship COULD end because of it, and I expect he would be the one to do so, as she doesnt have a problem!

ReputationRep:
    Everytime I smoke a cigarette, Jesus cries a little. Except he's dead. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Go outside and get friends, who knows you might get use to the smell if you actually have friends.

ReputationRep:
    One of my exes hated me smoking and was always trying to get me to stop, I didnt smoke around him btw. Needless to say it was a short relationship, I got rid of him and kept my ciggies.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda with the OP here. When i was with my boyfriend, he didnt smoke, and he started after we split. It was just at a party at first, now he seems to do it most days, but does feel he has too, just wants to. Anyway, he knows it really upsets me when he does (we're still really close friends) so he's agreed, he wont smoke when hes with me, but he will with his mates/ alone. Maybe you could come up with that compromise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anoneemous)
    I think you have your facts wrong. It was proven under oath in 1994 there were no harmful effects
    Smoking is for morons like this guy.

But if you knew she smoked when you got together it's a bit late to start QQing over it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.