Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1991nadia1991)
    You shouldn't expect the government to pay for you to have an en suite room, that's an extra for those who can afford it. The maintenance loan is meant to allow you access to a room so suck it up and go without en suite, or find another way to get the money. It's not the governments job to give you a private bathroom just because you don't want to share!
    Something is definatly up with my loan as my rent is going to be around £100 p/w which over 40 weeks is £4,000 yet my loan is only for around £2,000, and the cheapest accomodation is still over £3,000 (obviously without an en suite) but there is no guarentee of me getting the cheap accomodation. So to the person above you need to think quit being so agro, if its a loan that people will pay back then surely it should cover the price of living, after all a lot of people who leave University with a degree will be paying so much tax that the extra bit of loan would be payed of almost immediatly anyways!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, mine goesnt cover it either, my accommodation is something like £4500

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billybob7)
    Tuition fee loan is tha same amount as tuition fees, that makes sense and is easy to sort out.

But the amount I'm receiving for my maintenance loan (maximum amount, with no grants as my parents earn too much) won't even cover the cost of the accomodation I want (which isn't really ridiculously expensive). I know I'm not the only person in this situation as I've seen other people saying this.

So what do you people do? Are your parents helping out, are you getting a normal loan from your bank, or something else I haven't thought of?

Sorry if this is one of the big question/answer threads, i thought it'd be easier for everyone to find this information if it was in a seperate thread!
    Most people I know who are at uni get some sort of allowance from their parents. But even the ones who get quite a good allowance say they wouldn't be able to get by without some sort of job. It's a piss take if you think studying is gonna take up a lot of your time but I think it's the only way lol. There are probably opportunities to take out bank loans, separate from your student loan, but if I were you I really wouldn't get lured into that, it will make you worse off in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1991nadia1991)
    You shouldn't expect the government to pay for you to have an en suite room, that's an extra for those who can afford it. The maintenance loan is meant to allow you access to a room so suck it up and go without en suite, or find another way to get the money. It's not the governments job to give you a private bathroom just because you don't want to share!
    You do realise that its a loan and that you pay it back?

Anyway, it seems even worse from next year due to increased tuition fees. I personally think its unfair as in the US you pay for you education privately but taxes are lower, here taxes are higher so we're basically paying for our education twice (once by paying uni fees and again via tax)

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat, my loan doesn't cover my accommodation, let alone food.

Looks like I'll have to get a job when/if I get there, and fast :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyBurgess)
    Something is definatly up with my loan as my rent is going to be around £100 p/w which over 40 weeks is £4,000 yet my loan is only for around £2,000, and the cheapest accomodation is still over £3,000 (obviously without an en suite) but there is no guarentee of me getting the cheap accomodation. So to the person above you need to think quit being so agro, if its a loan that people will pay back then surely it should cover the price of living, after all a lot of people who leave University with a degree will be paying so much tax that the extra bit of loan would be payed of almost immediatly anyways!
    Your loan should be at least £3564 even if your parents earn above the upper threshold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torchwood)
    You do realise that its a loan and that you pay it back?

Anyway, it seems even worse from next year due to increased tuition fees. I personally think its unfair as in the US you pay for you education privately but taxes are lower, here taxes are higher so we're basically paying for our education twice (once by paying uni fees and again via tax)
    You don't necessarily pay it back. As of next year hardly any students will pay back the full amount. Tbh I won't be massively surprised if I never pay mine back....I owe £20k and will be starting on a teachers salary of £21.5k. I will pay back £585 per year. Each year for 6 years I will get a pay rise of around £1k, meaning I pay back an extra £90 on top of that £585. Assuming I have kids at some stage (and I'm in my mid 20s so I'd expect that to be in the next 10 years) I won't be paying anything then. It's going to take me a f***ing long time before I pay that back!

I went to uni under the £1200 fees, only my PGCE was charged at £3300 fees, so I don't owe anywhere near as much as some others. Students under the £9k fees won't even scratch the surface, esp as they'll have proper interest added, and start paying back at a higher rate. If I'd borrowed all my money at the £9k fees, I'd owe around £50k, but would only pay £45 per year back based on my starting salary!

And I agree with the person that said - why should the government fund your en suite? So many people are like "oh I have to have an en suite!" when I went to uni I got the minimum loan of £3500ish, but my Dad did help me out - only fair as it was his income preventing me getting a bigger loan/grants. I chose pretty much the cheapest accomodation - shared bathrooms, catered etc. For 1 year it was absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand people who throw around "get a job, get a job" it's not always that easy. Everyone wants bloody jobs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    get a job.

or CHOOSE CHEAPER ACCOMODATION! do i have to state the obvious?
    Yeah cos jobs are so easy to get atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    I can't stand people who throw around "get a job, get a job" it's not always that easy. Everyone wants bloody jobs!
    Well said!!

ReputationRep:
    My parents are covering it but it is annoying that i cant get a grant because my parents earn too much for me to apply but not enough to pay for everything i need/want...

ReputationRep:
    seems odd that those with parents earning over the threshold don't get enough money to cover living costs and so are forced to get a job whereas those with parents earning slightly less get a grant/ bursary so they don't have to get a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindsey123)
    As Grant2007 says, your parents are expected to help out if they are earning >£60k or whatever the upper limit for grants is now. Most people I know who aren't entitled to a grant have their rent paid for by their parents, as they would need to work a hell of a lot of hours to be able to pay the rest of their rent and then have enough money to live off.
    I know what you mean, but it's not always that simple. My parents have a large income, but a huge mortgage (but that's because they increased it to send me to a private school, so I'm not complaining). They don't give me anything, but they made me get part-time jobs from age 14 on and save the money, but if I didn't have that I'd be a bit screwed.

OP, maybe you can mediate a bit and get some help from your parents and some from a job? Your university may be able to help as well - most have funds for that purpose, that aren't necessarily just for those with the lowest income. And cheaper accommodation is easier said than done, but would help if possible.

Hope it works out, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chazra)
    seems odd that those with parents earning over the threshold don't get enough money to cover living costs and so are forced to get a job whereas those with parents earning slightly less get a grant/ bursary so they don't have to get a job
    Hey Chazra

My folks don't earn over the threshold and I got a grant, but I still had to get a job.

Peace out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billybob7)
    Tuition fee loan is tha same amount as tuition fees, that makes sense and is easy to sort out.

But the amount I'm receiving for my maintenance loan (maximum amount, with no grants as my parents earn too much) won't even cover the cost of the accomodation I want (which isn't really ridiculously expensive). I know I'm not the only person in this situation as I've seen other people saying this.

So what do you people do? Are your parents helping out, are you getting a normal loan from your bank, or something else I haven't thought of?

Sorry if this is one of the big question/answer threads, i thought it'd be easier for everyone to find this information if it was in a seperate thread!
    I'm in the same situation! I've got the basic maintenance loan which is the same amount as the tuition fees! My maintenance does not even cover my accomodation let alone my other expenses such as food etc. So basically I have to find an extra £800 to cover my accommodation for the year, and then my living expenses are separate! so I'm going to have to get a job and my parents will loan me some money towards my accommodation!
    This isn't really a big worry for me at the moment, my main worry is whether I have met my firm requirements

ReputationRep:
    York accomodation is expensive, my loan doesn't cover cheapest accommodation and I don't get a grant or anything, my parents can't afford to be paying the rest AND food and stuff. Plus as everyone said jobs aren't exactly easy to find especially as everyone wants one. I've worked and saved all summer and I don't have nearly enough to cover it!

Soooooo they've not really thought that one through. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doughnutstalksrubb)
    Yeah cos jobs are so easy to get atm
    90% of my friends have jobs this summer, one even went to turkey and another to germany to get a job. i'm personally commuting into london everyday this summer.

you just have to really search around for them and be prepared to work outside your home town

ReputationRep:
    Ive just found out that my first payment from student finance is £1646 but my first payment for my uni accommodation will cost £1736 :confused: Not sure what to do really x

ReputationRep:
    Lots of my friends have got themselves in this situation. I feel like shaking them - basic accommodation is absolutely fine and sharing bathrooms isn't at all bad!
    One of my friends was also in your situation, her maximum student loan didn't cover her expensive en-suite room but her dad unwillingly helped her out so she didn't have to get a job. I much rather have the extra cash or borrow less from my parents than stay in luxury accommodation for around 39 weeks of the year.

But... If this was the only accommodation left, then its not your fault, you will just have to get a job or ask your parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaydnLucie)
    Ive just found out that my first payment from student finance is £1646 but my first payment for my uni accommodation will cost £1736 :confused: Not sure what to do really x
    That really does suck! My first payment for my accommodation was £1260, my loan covered all. Is there no way you can change your accom? Could you get a job, could your parents give you any extra cash?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.