Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Maintenance loan doesn't cover accomodation ... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    Mine doesnt cover it either because what I want is over £5000 so my dads paying for my accomodation.
    Pretty rich parents you've got there.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily for me my accommodation is roughly £2800

Not the best but quite happy with it since it's only one year anyway.

Why request for an en-suite just to torture myself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    90% of my friends have jobs this summer, one even went to turkey and another to germany to get a job. i'm personally commuting into london everyday this summer.

you just have to really search around for them and be prepared to work outside your home town
    Yeah but london is a bit different than other places-there are obviously loads of jobs in london. Also, most of my friends have jobs however that is because they took them during easter break and worked during exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    That really does suck! My first payment for my accommodation was £1260, my loan covered all. Is there no way you can change your accom? Could you get a job, could your parents give you any extra cash?
    I stopped to think about it properly and luckily as my parents are divorced i get money from my dad each month which should cover it I had to sit and work out how much I can spend a week, also can use savings and overdraft if necessary

ReputationRep:
    of course there are no jobs NOW....if you are 18 and going to uni then why havent you got off your backsides and earnt some money and saved up over the past 2 years....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1991nadia1991)
    You shouldn't expect the government to pay for you to have an en suite room, that's an extra for those who can afford it.

Unless you have a medical condition that requires one... but then I suppose you look to DSA for those funds.

ReputationRep:
    I've been applying for jobs since my 16th birthday, 2 and a half years ago and still no luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billybob7)
    Tuition fee loan is tha same amount as tuition fees, that makes sense and is easy to sort out.

But the amount I'm receiving for my maintenance loan (maximum amount, with no grants as my parents earn too much) won't even cover the cost of the accomodation I want (which isn't really ridiculously expensive). I know I'm not the only person in this situation as I've seen other people saying this.

So what do you people do? Are your parents helping out, are you getting a normal loan from your bank, or something else I haven't thought of?

Sorry if this is one of the big question/answer threads, i thought it'd be easier for everyone to find this information if it was in a seperate thread!
    I am having a problem with student finance myself. my loan doesn't even cover the cost of renting for the cheapest room at halls. I am receiving no grant so far, so it looks as though I won't have nothing but birthday money and tiny amounts to live off.

ReputationRep:
    The solution for those whose loan won't even cover accommodation costs is simple. Go to a local University and stay at home and live with parents. If you are eligible for the basic ML then I assume your parents are earning good money and thus if they can't or won't give you financial support then their priorities are maybe wrong.

If money is going to be tight, DON'T study in London. My accommodation costs for this coming year are £3200 because I didn't so something silly like agree to live in a place I couldn't afford.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.