Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    This has never occured to me before, but I can speak Irish reasonably well (a result of my irish nan babysitting me every day after school until i was eleven, and for some reason teaching me) so could I take a GCSE in it? As in, if I ask my school can they enter me for it or do you have to have taken a course in it at school?


    CCEA do both full and short course but if your school isn't in N.I. it's not likely they will be set up to offer CCEA exams.
    You are not required to study a subject in school/college to be able to take exams in it.

    Yes, you can take a GCSE. It is not necessary to study a subject at school, but you will need to take the examination at a registered centre. If you are based in the UK, 3A Tutors (Bristol) and Oxford Tutorial College (Oxford) are approved centres for any examinations.

    You can enter for the specification as a private candidate, but you will need to find a centre that is willing to accept you. For the speaking test, you will need to ensure that a speaker is available in the language concerned. As an external student, you will need to pay your own exam fee as well as any accomodation charge.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.