Turn on thread page Beta

I like this guy, but my friend used to fancy him... :S watch

Announcements

So basically I'm starting to like my friend who I went to school with, hes so nice to me and we talk loads in person and msn. I don't know if he likes me though as a friend or more

Anyway, one of my best girl friends who I also went to school with is really good friends with this boy who I like. The only thing is shes fancied him on and off for the past couple of years, and he liked her at some points too. Shes fairly critical of who he has been out with, and i'm worried that if I go out with him (wishful thinking, but yeah) then she will be upset? Because there is some history between them...
    She has got a boyfriend for about 2 weeks now. So do you think I should go for it? I don't want to lose my best friend But also don't want this to be a missed opportunity.

Thanks Sorry for the long post

bump

ReputationRep:
    Well I think first thing you should do would be to bring this guy up casually in conversation to your friend and ask if she still likes him now she's got a new boyfriend. See what she says from there. But before you make a move on him maybe mention to your friend that you like him. Since she has a new bf it shouldn't matter that you like him. If see reacts all funny just say she has a new bf and it's not fair if she doesn't let you ask him out. Hope it all goes well

ReputationRep:
    Find out if she still likes him. You need the go ahead from her tbh.

(Original post by sweet_pea)
    Well I think first thing you should do would be to bring this guy up casually in conversation to your friend and ask if she still likes him now she's got a new boyfriend. See what she says from there. But before you make a move on him maybe mention to your friend that you like him. Since she has a new bf it shouldn't matter that you like him. If see reacts all funny just say she has a new bf and it's not fair if she doesn't let you ask him out. Hope it all goes well
    The problem is I once told her I liked someone and she told him!! So I'm not sure if I can trust her tbh, even tho she's my good friend

ReputationRep:
    Look, if she's not gone out for him and you've known about her feelings towards him for so long then he's fair game. The general rule is don't go out with someone your friend has just expressed interest in and don't date friend's exs. The fact that she has a boyfriend is even more of a reason why you shouldn't care and just go out with him anyway if he's interested.

ReputationRep:
    Be a **** and go out with him...that's what I did.

ReputationRep:
    If she is actually your 'best friend', she would want you to be happy.

ReputationRep:
    My current boyfriend of almost 3 years used to be my best friend's crush at school! When I met him (on a night out) and swapped numbers, the first thing I did the next day was to talk to her about it and ask her if it was ok. 15 years of friendship was more important to me than some random guy.

Luckily she was fine with it and the rest, as they say, is history! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The problem is I once told her I liked someone and she told him!! So I'm not sure if I can trust her tbh, even tho she's my good friend
    She doesn't sound like a good friend if she did that. Then don't tell her and just ask him out and if she moans just say that you didn't want her telling him like last time.

ReputationRep:
    You can ask her what she feels about him, and if she... erm... just ask him out! She's got a boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    She's got a boyfriend so it shouldn't matter...she shouldn't be fancying him anyway. Go for it girl, you don't need her permission. If she's annoyed you can say "well, you were with someone else so i didn't think u were interested anymore." He's not her property...

ReputationRep:
    She's got a boyfriend. Why does it even matter what she thinks?

For those who haven't got common sense: Why should OP have to ask her friend's permission whether she can date a guy who her friend is not even considering?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I'd just go for it =) while she might have like him on and off for a while, nothing actually happened did it? Therefore you don't need any permission from her, particularly if she's seeing another boy anyway. Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.