Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone who has taken an AS or A-Level Language in the past give some general advice to students currently undertaking an A-level in a lanuguage from their own experiences

eg. -if they could do it over agin what they think they should have done to, ..... simplify thier learning etc....

Im doing AQA French atm

all comments appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I did German last year, AS, with the Welsh Board. All I'd say is try and stay focused, and do some outside reading and writing to keep your skills up. I didn't, lost interest and the grade I have is basically a fluke. It also meant I didn't want to continue to A2... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Louise_x- it's a really good idea to do outside reading, listening and writing if you can. Maybe try and find someone who you can regularly talk to in the target language. Be prepared to work hard if you wanna get one of the top grades, persevere with it (it can get difficult).

ReputationRep:
    Learn all your vocab, listen to as much french as you can and speak french alot (to yourself will do). I didn't do all of these when I should have done, and got a C.

ReputationRep:
    Watch films! Firstly, film watching is fun, secondly you get practice at hearing the language. Use subtitles but don't rely on them entirely, they wont match up perfectly.
    Learn all vocab and grammar work set, test yourself, do spelling tests and grammar exercises.
    Some ideas for Films, if you haven't seen them already:
    Amelie
    Priceless
    Au revoir les enfants (Very sad, be warned!)
    Le dernier metro
    Jean de Florette (and its sequel...)
    Manon des sources
    He loves me, he loves me not.
    La Haine

ReputationRep:
    I like to read online magazines in the target language, like cosmopolitan.es, it's not too difficult and it feels like revision!

ReputationRep:
    -Read French newspapers - keeps you up-to-date with current affairs and improves your reading skills as well as giving you extra vocab to impress your teachers (and more importantly examiners)
    -Watch French news - also keeps you up-to-date with current affairs and improves your listening skills as well as giving you a better idea of intonation/accent/pronunciation
    -Watch French films - makes you a more cultured person, improves listening skills
    -Constantly revise grammar and vocab, even if you feel like you already know it all
    -Make a note of all faux amis and idioms - use the idioms that are relevant i.e. that the French use today rather than something they used 50 years ago
    -Try to speak only in French in your lessons (unless asked otherwise) and with your classmates when you're not in lessons - don't worry too much about grammar etc when you're learning and don't be too hard on yourself if you can't get the right word - it takes time and it'll start to flow naturally before you know it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.