Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which accomodation is better at Nottingham? Lincoln, Cripps, Derby or Rutland?
    I'm doing economics so would like to be close by, and would like some where that is social. I'm not too bothered about sharing a bathroom, but apparently Lincoln you have to share with quite alot (10?) people, where has Cripps you're more likely to share with 4-5?
    Basically, which is best and why?!

ReputationRep:
    Coming from someone who doesn't live in any of those halls I'd say Cripps. It's right next to the economics building and has a good social reputation. Lincoln and Derby seem a bit quieter and are further away from the main buildings. Everyone hates Rutland and you'll get abused if you stay there and you'll deserve it for choosing to live there.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, in terms of rooms, they're all pretty much the same. You'll get the best opinions on facilities from http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/weekone/halls/

To see how far away each are from certain buildings like subject buildings, sports facilities etc: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/sharedre...ersitypark.pdf

And in terms of the type of people you'll find in each, again, they're all roughly the same mix, as you've not thrown in say Florence Boot Hall.

Rutland Hall doesn't have a bad reputation at all; it's just the chants on nights out. There are plenty more chants against Rutland than any other Halls, but you'll find that Rutland are the best at, well, everything. Rutland have won something silly like 40 out of the past 40-odd Karni events, they're always the winners in bar crawls, night out competitions etc. And the fact that there are more chants against them just tends to bring them all together into a really close bunch of mates :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Honestly, in terms of rooms, they're all pretty much the same. You'll get the best opinions on facilities from http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/weekone/halls/

To see how far away each are from certain buildings like subject buildings, sports facilities etc: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/sharedre...ersitypark.pdf

And in terms of the type of people you'll find in each, again, they're all roughly the same mix, as you've not thrown in say Florence Boot Hall.

Rutland Hall doesn't have a bad reputation at all; it's just the chants on nights out. There are plenty more chants against Rutland than any other Halls, but you'll find that Rutland are the best at, well, everything. Rutland have won something silly like 40 out of the past 40-odd Karni events, they're always the winners in bar crawls, night out competitions etc. And the fact that there are more chants against them just tends to bring them all together into a really close bunch of mates :p:
    What's wrong with Florence Boot? I was thinking of putting that down as my first choice for accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by komachi)
    What's wrong with Florence Boot? I was thinking of putting that down as my first choice for accomodation.
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with it! Not that it's a bad place to stay at all, but I wouldn't say that it has the same sort of mix as most other halls. A lot of the so-called "rahs" stay there, but in general, it's a lovely place to stay!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with it! Not that it's a bad place to stay at all, but I wouldn't say that it has the same sort of mix as most other halls. A lot of the so-called "rahs" stay there, but in general, it's a lovely place to stay!
    Oh righttttt.. well tbh from what I've heard there are "rahs" just about everywhere at Nottingham so I'll just have to learn to put up with it XD
    It just looks like a lovely place to be, I hope I get a room there!
    Also, a little tangential but do you know what the difference between a Private Shared Bathroom and a Shared En-Suite is? I have no idea :/

ReputationRep:
    Oh righttttt.. well tbh from what I've heard there are "rahs" just about everywhere at Nottingham so I'll just have to learn to put up with it XD
    It just looks like a lovely place to be, I hope I get a room there!
    Also, a little tangential but do you know what the difference between a Private Shared Bathroom and a Shared En-Suite is? I have no idea :/
    Erm, not really. There's a few, but that's one of the misconceptions about Nottingham, along with crime. They're both ******** They tend to stick to a couple of sets of halls and form their own little groups and people leave them be lol, in general.

Private Shared Bathroom - You have your own bedroom and study area with access to a bathroom shared with one other person via a communal corridor.

Shared En-suite - You have your own bedroom and study area, sharing a bathroom and private access with one other person.

A very subtle difference lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Derby so I would say that but can't see much difference. Everyone likes to join forces against Rutland and apparently Cripps and Hu Stu are the snobbiest on campus-but this is just what I hear. But to the person who said Derby is quiet-trust me its not!

ReputationRep:
    Erm, not really. There's a few, but that's one of the misconceptions about Nottingham, along with crime. They're both ******** They tend to stick to a couple of sets of halls and form their own little groups and people leave them be lol, in general.

Private Shared Bathroom - You have your own bedroom and study area with access to a bathroom shared with one other person via a communal corridor.

Shared En-suite - You have your own bedroom and study area, sharing a bathroom and private access with one other person.

A very subtle difference lol
    Ah okay. Well from people I've spoken to I've heard that Cripps, Hu Stu, Ancaster, Cavendish, Willoughby and now Florence Boot are full of rahs. So it doesn't really matter too much to me, but I gotta say I'm pretty set on Flo Bo now
    Haha wow that is a very subtle difference.. just wondering cos Florence Boot has PSB but no shared en-suites :/ Ah well. Thanks for the clarification though
    Oh and also, Florence Boot has rooms called "Private Shower", I assume this means you share either toilets/washbasins and have your own shower, or vice versa? Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay. Well from people I've spoken to I've heard that Cripps, Hu Stu, Ancaster, Cavendish, Willoughby and now Florence Boot are full of rahs. So it doesn't really matter too much to me, but I gotta say I'm pretty set on Flo Bo now
    Haha wow that is a very subtle difference.. just wondering cos Florence Boot has PSB but no shared en-suites :/ Ah well. Thanks for the clarification though
    Oh and also, Florence Boot has rooms called "Private Shower", I assume this means you share either toilets/washbasins and have your own shower, or vice versa? Thanks again!
    Yeah, you'll share a toilet. Your room will have a shower and access to a shower for your private use though

ReputationRep:
    Any thoughts on Lincoln? X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.