Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you like a girl, are you likely to talk to her or would you wait for her to start the conversation? This includes both in person and online/texting etc.

I quite like a shy guy atm and I have always considered myself a shy girl but not as shy as him. Last time I saw him we were chatting and he couldn't look me in the eye for a long time while he was talking to me. I don't know if this means he doesn't like me or he does like me and is embarrassed because he is shy, or any other reason.

So I am quite confused. People always say if a guy likes you he will talk to you no matter what, but is this true?
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'd talk to her, But alot of guys are shy so one will have to make the move and the majority of the time its the guy

ReputationRep:
    If he is that shy, you'll have to wear the trousers...

ReputationRep:
    If he is not looking you in the eye, it will be because he is shy; it is the socially done thing to look anyone in the eye.

I think if you want to know if he likes you, you will have to push him a bit as he is unlikely to do this on himself.

Although it's likely you'll have to wear the trousers in the beginning, shy guys open up and become comfortable in time, after which any negatives of you having to call the shots will subside.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how approacable you are. It's mostly body language which determines this.

ReputationRep:
    No, shy guys won't give you , much eye contact, regardless if they liked you or not. If I liked you, I'd give you less eye contact, and I am considered shy.

ReputationRep:
    When I speak to people online - I find it difficult to say 'hi' because I always think that I am bothering them and wasting their time hence why I would never say hi - incase they are busy or doing stuff - if they win my trust then I slowly open up.
    In real life it's the same, I get approached in many weird stalkwery ways which is not the way forward with me! lol But then again I do have confidence issues so bleh

However having said that - if a guy likes you - he would talk to you no matter what and if that's the case he's won me over but not with all guys - you can tell the difference between the sensible type and the 'player' type.

My problem is if a guy was to continiously show interest in me I would get attached and end up being hurt so I try to hide perhaps that make's them run away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingshoes10)
    If you like a girl, are you likely to talk to her or would you wait for her to start the conversation? This includes both in person and online/texting etc.

I quite like a shy guy atm and I have always considered myself a shy girl but not as shy as him. Last time I saw him we were chatting and he couldn't look me in the eye for a long time while he was talking to me. I don't know if this means he doesn't like me or he does like me and is embarrassed because he is shy, or any other reason.

So I am quite confused. People always say if a guy likes you he will talk to you no matter what, but is this true?
    Of course it isn't true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous.)
    When I speak to people online - I find it difficult to say 'hi' because I always think that I am bothering them and wasting their time hence why I would never say hi - incase they are busy or doing stuff - if they win my trust then I slowly open up.
    In real life it's the same, I get approached in many weird stalkwery ways which is not the way forward with me! lol But then again I do have confidence issues so bleh

However having said that - if a guy likes you - he would talk to you no matter what and if that's the case he's won me over but not with all guys - you can tell the difference between the sensible type and the 'player' type.

My problem is if a guy was to continiously show interest in me I would get attached and end up being hurt so I try to hide perhaps that make's them run away.
    lol i was bored that was good stuff in ur sig.

I never constantly look people in the eye cos of my shyness, even less if it were a girl I liked.
    As for talking, i woild deifnately make more of an effort.
    About what someone said above about talkking online and not saying hi thinking it will bother them - that's EXACTLY how i feel. I have many friends on my MSN list that i've never talked to lol

ReputationRep:
    I think I qualify as one. In all honesty if we're in a club/bar setting and I've never met her before then it's a no-no. If we're say in a library, class, friend's house then I'd strike a conversation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nope, I'd be far too nervous to start the conversation myself. Especially if it was somebody I really liked.

It probably means he likes you. When I'm speaking to somebody I particularly like, I find it incredibly hard to make eye contact at all.

Nope, not true at all. Speaking as a guy who has a lot of trouble with shyness, it's possible he will avoid talking to you because of nerves. He wont want to start the conversation in case he thinks he's bothering you. If you do ask him out, he will become more relaxed around you but the change wont be instant, it will take a few weeks at least.

Hope this gives a bit of insight and helps in some way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know if I look people in the eye :s

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him or move on.

ReputationRep:
    No its not true at all. If hes really shy you will have to take the lead... Ask him out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a very shy guy and find it incredibly difficult to maintain eye contact with a girl in a conversation.. even if it's my best friend who i've known for like 7 years, I can talk to her fine, just can't look her in the eye whilst doing so. F*ck my life.

ReputationRep:
    I never initiate conversations, far too stressful.

ReputationRep:
    i find it hard myself,
    its weird because i can talk to anyone jsut fine. but when it comes
    to liking a girl it feels like they might play me for affect rather than because they like me back.

in the end ive dont think about any girl in that sense atm

Being a shy guy myself, I think it is one of the defining characteristics of us that we will generally NOT approach a girl because we are shy.

To the girls of the world: Go strike up conversations with shy guys because they themselves will probably never do it. And although it might not seem like it on the outside, on the inside they're thanking you for taking your time to come and talk to them.

ReputationRep:

LOl, thats a reflection of me ...:o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.