Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do any second/third years have the notes for the material covered in Lent Term from previous years? We have a new lecturer this year (for Lent Term) and the general consensus is that his notes are rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Yes i agree, if anyone has really good ST102 notes please pass them on

ReputationRep:
    LOL!

you guys ARE using last year's notes.

ps: i just checked on moodle.

edit: the notes really arent as bad as people make out. you just have to condense them a lot ( i mean what 400 slides for 1 term = WTF!?!?!). and that is possible. and go to abdeys review sessions.

ReputationRep:
    Oh...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I checked with my mentor earlier this year too (he's in year 3) and they got exactly the same notes! Someone should really rewrite tese because I agree - they are rubbish and confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSEactuary)
    Yeah I checked with my mentor earlier this year too (he's in year 3) and they got exactly the same notes! Someone should really rewrite tese because I agree - they are rubbish and confusing.
    Woah, anyone else talk to their mentor? I haven't replied once haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oldboy5745)
    Woah, anyone else talk to their mentor? I haven't replied once haha
    I replied once way back in September a week before freshers week, but never since then. He's only sent me two e-mails since then anyway. He's the president of the Maths + Stats society apparently - I should go some time to meet him :beard:.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the notes were good actually :ninja: especially for the inference parts. Well for everything else apart from estimation, but even then thats more down to practice.

ReputationRep:
    Practice - from where...?
    The exercises have only 1 type of each question and the textbook is long and confusing.
    Any suggestions are welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    guys. dont worry. st102 is easy. you even get 20 possible bonus points in the exam (although im confident with a p-value of no more than 10^-4 that they scale down the marks at the top quite a bit (i.e. 5-10% at least), based on my reaction coming out of the exam and the result.

ReputationRep:
    The prob is that most (is not all) of us want to be that top 5-10%! Lol

ReputationRep:
    The prob is that most (is not all) of us want to be that top 5-10%! Lol
    1. that would not be possible anyway, so if everyone works harder the net effect is 0.

2. you misunderstand. the % you get at the top, is scaled down by at least 5-10%. i had 88, but there is no way at all that i only got 88/120 (thats the way the exam works you get to do 120 marks but it counts out of 100 , if you hadn been told this yet) in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I think the text book is really good. Read through it last night and now I understand everything we've done so far.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by the % you get at the top, is scaled down by at least 5-10%

ReputationRep:
    so if someone gets 70/120, will that mean they get a first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    1. that would not be possible anyway, so if everyone works harder the net effect is 0.

2. you misunderstand. the % you get at the top, is scaled down by at least 5-10%. i had 88, but there is no way at all that i only got 88/120 (thats the way the exam works you get to do 120 marks but it counts out of 100 , if you hadn been told this yet) in the exam.
    Yeah I would agree with this. TBH it does make sense, without scaling down, you would probably have a significant portion of students scoring 100% on the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roshi)
    so if someone gets 70/120, will that mean they get a first?
    :yes: It's great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdVein)
    :yes: It's great
    except my point is that they scale marks down at the top. So in fact you would probably need around 75/120 to get 70% and your first.

ReputationRep:
    Swayum...which textbook? The main core chunky one?

ReputationRep:
    Swayum...which textbook? The main core chunky one?
    Yeah, Larsen and Marx or whatever.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.