The Student Room Group

SecondYear transferring Universities - Feedback greatly appreciated.

Hi guys. I have a bit of a complex situation and would love to hear your comments, especially those of you who can relate to my circumstances or know anyone that has been through a similar process.

I've been studying at Sheffield University and I'm in my second year now, doing English Lit/History. All said and done, I've had a pretty tough time since the start. My first accommodation was terrible, so I missed out a lot on meeting people (I was a lot shyer back then than I am now), and my second accommodation was okay but they had already sorted housing for the second year, so I had to go back into uni accommodation.

Anyway, I figured I'd stick it out and my first semester back was the worst thing I've been through. I became very depressed, not really going out much and never enjoying things when I did. Since Christmas I've improved a lot, to the extent that I'm actually a lot more confident and cheerful, but I also know that I really don't fancy staying in Sheffield for the rest of my contract.

Bangor really appeals to me as a place and I've been there a couple of times, so I already know I want to go there. I have some friends there already that I get on well with, and would be quite happy to meet new people as that isn't a problem for me anymore. However, what I'm struggling with are the financial implications of moving from one uni to another in my second year. I would be starting bangor as a second year, doing English Lit (but not History), so I would theoretically have completed 4 years of study by the time I had finished at university.

I've spoken to my local education authority and they say that everyone is entitled to 4 years of funding. They've also said for me to stick with them and not to go into student finance England..however, I am concerned because I might just get a maintenance loan and nothing else. I think it is relative to your situation and they can choose to give minimum funding if they wish, which includes not paying off your tuition fees off..so my question is, do you think it is too risky for me to make a move like this or should I go with what I really want?

Also, I would have to make a decison soon which means I can leave sheffield now and not have to pay for my third term, saving at least a few grand on that. As everyone is entitled to fourth year payments, I would like to think that I could be assessed normally for this process, but I dont' know if I would have to reapply or just continue with my current financial arrangements, as I need to do it through my LEA. Bangor said the university also pays 1,000 bursary, which I would get anyway, as opposed to £400 from Sheffield. Also, living costs/accommodation is cheaper..so, taking everything into account, what would you reccomend? I probably haven't covered everything so please ask any questions that you feel could help to understanding my situation more clearly.

Cheers guys, I really appreciate it!
No, your financial situation would be absolutely fine if you stick it out until the end of the year, as you'd just have to do a change of circumstance form, putting down your change of university.

However. You need to check that you've completed enough similar modules for Bangor to accept you, which may be more complicated as you're transferring from a joint honours to single. Remember as well that you won't be able to go into second year without finishing this year in it's entirety - you'd have to go back into the first year.
Reply 2
Ah I see, so you would suggest not officially withdrawing from sheffield until the summer when I've fully completed the course, so that I wouldn't have to go back into the first year. It's just with me finishing my first year I thought I could begin afresh my second year at Bangor. I've been in touch with them and they said they needed my first year transcripts, but they weren't very specific on whether I'd need to finish my second year at Sheffield. Only thing is, does this mean I wouldn't be able to join their university officially until the summer, which may make moving universities more difficult?
Right, hang on, I'm not entirely sure what you want here. Do you want first, or second year entry into Bangor?

If you want second year, you HAVE to finish this first year. You can't just do half a year and expect them to take you as a second year student if you haven't finished the first year, right?

Basically, stay at Sheffield until your first year is finished in the summer, and then once your results have come out, you need to send over your transcripts to Bangor in order for them to sort it. It won't make it more difficult - they'll do this often.
Reply 4
Sorry, I should have been more clear in that post, I'm in my second year at the moment but wanting to redo my second year at bangor. Partly this is because it's unusual for them to let you go straight to your third year at a new university, but I also feel that I'd rather have two years than one as well to do everything I want to do there. So that's why I would quit half-way through, just because even if I did finish my second year they would only need my first year results in order to let me enter the second year. This way, I'm hoping I could guarantee myself a place at bangor early on and not have to worry about places being too full, not getting on the course, etc.
Right, ok..

Your finance should be fine, like I said, you just need to do a change of circumstance form.

You should be able to do that, but you REALLY need to get it in writing - even if just an email - from Bangor, telling you that they'd accept you like that. The only thing is that if you don't finish this year, you're going to have to pay back any loan you got in your January payment, and you'd have to pay that back before they gave you loans next year.
Reply 6
Ah I see. I was reccomended to get it in writing or some evidence from the finance office, but if I can get in from Bangor then that would be great too.

I didn't realise you would have to pay it back so soon. In that case, would I be able to do the whole year and not have to pay it back until I pay back the rest of my finance? That way it costs more money in the long run but it's more realistic/not a problem at this stage.
Super17
Ah I see. I was reccomended to get it in writing or some evidence from the finance office, but if I can get in from Bangor then that would be great too.

I didn't realise you would have to pay it back so soon. In that case, would I be able to do the whole year and not have to pay it back until I pay back the rest of my finance? That way it costs more money in the long run but it's more realistic/not a problem at this stage.

Yup! If you leave now, you'd have to do what I am, which is pay back what you've been "overpaid", without giving you the option to pay it back with the rest of your debt - which is what I wanted to do.

I would carry on for the rest of the year and then go to Bangor, unless you can get refunds from accommodation and such which will let you pay back your loans in the next few months.
Reply 8
Yeah, I was thinking that maybe the loans I get back could cover the costs, especially if it's only one term, but I don't know for certain. I'm sorry to hear about your situation, where were you hoping to transfer and were you in your second year like me? They really aren't always very clear on these things and they should be, because it can potentially be really difficult to sort out!
No, I was in my first year, and I was planning on just transfering after I'd finished this year, but realised that I didn't want to do my course any more, so I just left, and I'm starting again in September. It means that I have to wait on my refund from my halls though before I can pay off student loans to make sure everything's ok for next year. Good luck though!
Reply 10
Hey, I've managed to gather more information on this and they really shouldn't be charging you the whole years worth of accommodation fees, is it just one semester? (Still a lot I know!). I've been told that if I were to make the transfer now, I would only have to pay back the maintenance grant from January, although not necessarily before I start at Bangor. One thing that I am concerned about though is my bangor admissions email said I will need to apply through ucas, despite being offered a place over email, so I don't know how that will work. I assume if I've been offered a place then they would give me an unconditional offer via ucas.

Latest

Trending

Trending