Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I see that an Edinburgh-Leuchars train costs £11.

Does anyone know how much a bus (stagecoach) will cost? - I've done my research and its the X59 that goes there.

Stagecoach's website only gives the prices of monthly, quarterly pass's etc. Im looking for the price of a single journey.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure it's £10.50 for a return.

ReputationRep:
    I think Quo's estimate sounds about right.

If you get the train to Leuchars, then you'll need to get a bus or taxi into St Andrews. I'd guess a bus would be about £2-3 for a single, or £4-5 for a return (I'm guessing there, but I think they're reasonable guesses from past experience and what I can remember). A taxi would probably be more like £5 each way.

I would expect a bus straight from Edinburgh to be cheaper, unless you have a friend in St Andrews who could pick you up from the train station. I think the train journey would probably be more pleasant, so if the total costs for each journey only differ by a pound or so, then the train might be a nicer option.

The X58 and X60 also go between St Andrews and Edinburgh, but they feature the grand Tour de Fife, which makes the journey longer. You'll probably have no need to know about them, but they're there, just in case

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar position, getting the train to Leuchars on saturday morning. How frequent are the St Andrews bus services? And how far is the bus stop from the station?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oharad)
    I'm in a similar position, getting the train to Leuchars on saturday morning. How frequent are the St Andrews bus services? And how far is the bus stop from the station?
    There is a bus stop right at the station, so you don't have far to go and it's easy to find.

I'm not sure exactly how frequent the busses between Leuchars and St Andrews are - there are some timetables here that you could have a wee look at. I would only personally bother checking timetables if there was a bank holiday, or if I was travelling early in the morning or late in the evening. There are fewer busses at the weekend, but I think in the daytime there are usually plenty.

ReputationRep:
    Buses from St Andrews to Dundee, via Leuchars tend to be every 15 mins-ish during the day

ReputationRep:
    i paid £11 for a return ticket on the X59 from edinburgh at the start of january.

ReputationRep:
    Bus from St Andrews to Leuchars costs £2.35 single.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd take the train to Leuchars. It is much more comfortable, shorter and a more pleasant experience. The bus from Edinburgh takes ages!

And Leuchars is close to St Andrews, and if you ever need to pick a few stuff, Leuchars has a much bigger Tesco and other stores.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A taxi from Leuchars to DRA (going either via Strathkinness or past the bus station) is about £12. A return ticket for the St A - Leuchars bus is valid for 28 days and costs £4.25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Gennaro)
    If I were you, I'd take the train to Leuchars. It is much more comfortable, shorter and a more pleasant experience. The bus from Edinburgh takes ages!

And Leuchars is close to St Andrews, and if you ever need to pick a few stuff, Leuchars has a much bigger Tesco and other stores.
    I don't know Leuchars very well, but I thought the train station wasn't properly in Leuchars, and Google maps says the nearest Tesco is in St Andrews... I'm confused

I love your sig, by the way. I saw it somewhere before and it made me smile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I don't know Leuchars very well, but I thought the train station wasn't properly in Leuchars, and Google maps says the nearest Tesco is in St Andrews... I'm confused

I love your sig, by the way. I saw it somewhere before and it made me smile
    Hmm. Maybe I mistook another supermarket for Tesco.. If I did I'm sorry. Because I remember in the summer that there was a big supermarket opposite to the train station in Leuchars, maybe my memory gets altered every 6 months :P

Thanks, I found it on Mr. Bean's page on Facebook :p: And your reply made me smile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think I might "splash out" and get the train. Don't know if I cba with a 2.5hour bus journey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Gennaro)
    Hmm. Maybe I mistook another supermarket for Tesco.. If I did I'm sorry. Because I remember in the summer that there was a big supermarket opposite to the train station in Leuchars, maybe my memory gets altered every 6 months :P

Thanks, I found it on Mr. Bean's page on Facebook :p: And your reply made me smile
    I don't think there's a supermarket in Leuchars...(don't quote me on it but I'm mostly sure), at least not near the station. However there is a marginally bigger tesco in Cupar, which may be the one you're thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainLoop)
    I don't think there's a supermarket in Leuchars...(don't quote me on it but I'm mostly sure), at least not near the station. However there is a marginally bigger tesco in Cupar, which may be the one you're thinking of?
    There's more or less nothing in Leuchars apart from the airbase.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think this is right. The Tesco is fairly close to the train station in Cupar, and there's also a Lidl near it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I feel like such an idiot :o: :p:
    Yes guys, sorry, I meant Cupar, which is close to St. Andrews as well (hence thee mix-up :p:).
    Ok, so my posts in this thread are pointless so far, they're mixing people up :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How long does the bus from Leuchars to St Andrews take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spears)
    How long does the bus from Leuchars to St Andrews take?
    The 99 does it in about 11 minutes. Some of the more local services doing it more slowly, though. The Stagecoach website has loads of timetables, so you can find out which services are best.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bring up this thread again, but can a ticket for the x59 be bought on the day? (I'm going from Edinburgh airport to St Andrews and back)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.