Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyz54)
    Sorry to bring up this thread again, but can a ticket for the x59 be bought on the day? (I'm going from Edinburgh airport to St Andrews and back)
    Yes. In fact I don't think you can book in advance, it's just a normal bus service that happens to cover quite a long distance (and has nicer buses).

Edit: You just buy the ticket from the driver when you get on the bus. Ask for a return to St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    Yes. In fact I don't think you can book in advance, it's just a normal bus service that happens to cover quite a long distance (and has nicer buses).

Edit: You just buy the ticket from the driver when you get on the bus. Ask for a return to St Andrews.
    Great! Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if a return to St Andrews is valid over a couple of days, or whether you have to return the same day?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TOMathon)
    Anyone know if a return to St Andrews is valid over a couple of days, or whether you have to return the same day?
    St Andrews-Glasgow return ticket is valid for 4 weeks/30 days (can't remember which) so I assume it's the same for Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I think Quo's estimate sounds about right.

If you get the train to Leuchars, then you'll need to get a bus or taxi into St Andrews. I'd guess a bus would be about £2-3 for a single, or £4-5 for a return (I'm guessing there, but I think they're reasonable guesses from past experience and what I can remember). A taxi would probably be more like £5 each way.

I would expect a bus straight from Edinburgh to be cheaper, unless you have a friend in St Andrews who could pick you up from the train station. I think the train journey would probably be more pleasant, so if the total costs for each journey only differ by a pound or so, then the train might be a nicer option.

The X58 and X60 also go between St Andrews and Edinburgh, but they feature the grand Tour de Fife, which makes the journey longer. You'll probably have no need to know about them, but they're there, just in case
    Taxi to Leuchars minimum £10 each way AFAIK

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.