Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: do you want to be treated like, and regarded as being the same as, a man? watch

• View Poll Results: Girls - do you want women to be treated identically to men?
    Yes! Aside from that annoying business of reproduction, there should be no difference seen between men and women.
    22.03%
    I'm not sure. I may clarify by posting in the thread!
    6.61%
    No, wtf? Men and women are quite different and I wouldn't want women to be treated exactly the same as men.
    43.17%
    z0mgpoll
    28.19%

ReputationRep:
    Equality of opportunity doesn't mean that women can't have their own sexuality, it simply means that they have equal chances of employment, etc.

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't want to be treated equal to a man. Simply because we're not. Equality can't happen because everyone is different, and there's too many of these differences to create equality.

I believe in post-feminism basically, and fight for equal rights as appose to equality (yes, I think there is a difference). I'm aware that I'm a woman, and I don't want to be discriminated against because of it - however it doesn't mean I would want to be treated "like a man".

ReputationRep:
    Men are not men and women are not women. Few real men and few real women. This era will be looked upon as quite strange in future.

ReputationRep:
    its quite annoying that wife beating is illegal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotheregostar)
    I'm not disagreeing. But there shouldn't be a blanket statement to apply to an entire, widely varied, section of society. Assuming a woman can't stand up for herself physically is a slight generalisation.
    There shouldn't, but there always has been and always will be, if a particularly vocal minority of women say it's fair game for men to fight women, certain men will just take advantage and use it as an excuse for violence towards more feeble women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Girls like to be treated the same as men only when it suits them. All other times it's sexist.
    i prefer it at all times, maybes i because i hate being female or maybe its because im not one of those stupid girls that expects a man to protect me and pay for me when we go out

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, no. Not exactly the same. I mean, I don't want to be treated any less than men, but I don't exactly want to be treated.. like a man?

ReputationRep:
    I got absolutly raped in a history class full of girls (doing womens rights) when I said that men and women shouldn't be treated equally in some jobs due to men bieng physically stronger and that I sort of agreed that whilst women could stand up for themselves, it didn't make it any less of a mans duty to protect them and care for them.....I am now labelled as male chauvanist pig for saying that....wtf???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    There shouldn't, but there always has been and always will be, if a particularly vocal minority of women say it's fair game for men to fight women, certain men will just take advantage and use it as an excuse for violence towards more feeble women.
    perhaps. All I'm saying is if I start a fight on someone, I would be incredibely pissed if the guy I strated on wouldn't fight back because I was a woman. ( thinking of Francis in malcolm in the middle, ha)

I supppose I just don't see the fact that I'm a woman has much to do with who I am, that's not to say I'm manly, I just hate people making assumptions based on my sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotheregostar)
    I'd love it if a guy had the balls to start a fight on me. I hate the idea that you shouldn't fight a woman - you shouldn't pick fights on the feeble, perhaps, but woman aren't all feeble. I'm tough. Bring it.
    simmer down there luv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    I got absolutly raped in a history class full of girls (doing womens rights) when I said that men and women shouldn't be treated equally in some jobs due to men bieng physically stronger and that I sort of agreed that whilst women could stand up for themselves, it didn't make it any less of a mans duty to protect them and care for them.....I am now labelled as male chauvanist pig for saying that....wtf???

what a crock of ****, i never have and never will need a man to protect and take care of me, i can do that myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    what a crock of ****, i never have and never will need a man to protect and take care of me, i can do that myself
    Is that what you'd say to the police man who tries to stop you getting mugged and raped, or the fireman who wants to pull you out of a burning building?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    Is that what you'd say to the police man who tries to stop you getting mugged and raped, or the fireman who wants to pull you out of a burning building?
    could be a police/fireWOMAN that does said things :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hm, I don't think you can say women can be treated exactly the same as men?

I would like to be allowed to pay for my half of a meal or a taxi or something, my partner thinks he has to pay for everything because I'm a girl, i've been "allowed" to pay for a taxi exactly once, it's the one thing we argue over.
    I'd like to be able to go to a hardcore gig without blokes trying to avoid knocking into me if I go into the pit of my own accord, I'm there to have fun
    The fight thing's difficult, you can't deny that a lot of dudes would inflict some serious damage on a girl but if she's got into the situation of her own accord (she's hit him first being most obvious) then it's only fair that she expects some kind of retaliation, just like if a guy who wasn't particularly powerful started on another guy. Throwing the "but I'm a giiiiirl" argument out just makes you look like an idiot and you're demeaning girls who can look after themselves but aren't dumb enough to be aggressive for the sake.

In terms of intelligence/employment and related things, gender shouldn't come into capability - if you prove you're good at it you deserve to be hired.

I don't know, that's all I've got on this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    It think that could be true. I think I'm pretty tough and can stand up for myself but at the same time perhaps slightly hypocritically when I am with my boyfriend or even just male friends I would feel safer with them there e.g. on a night out when all the guys get a bit out of control, it is nice to know someone is there to look after you.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not.
    I want equal career oppurtunities etc, but I don't want to be treated like a man. As a lot of people have said, they're very different things!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    could be a police/fireWOMAN that does said things :p:
    You better hope not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    You better hope not

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    tbh, i think we've got it almost right now
    that's what the government would like us to believe :P

ReputationRep:
    i think theres a difference between equal rights and treating men and woman as exact equal.
    for example, for any job opportunities.
    like many others in this, i don't think it works in terms of physical strength (of course there are exceptions, but i for one would not want to be punched full force by a man!).
    i also think a man shouldn't be expected to pay for everything. it's a nice gesture, as in if i offered to buy my friend lunch, or my friend offered to buy me a drink, regardless of gender.. but required/expected? doesn't seem quite fair to me.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.