The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I want to be treated equally. But I guess it's not really the same as being treated like a man, so I voted 'no'.
time.to.dance
Depends on the situation.

Career and job prospect wise, yes.
In a relationship (and other friendships), noo waayy.

Pick 'n' Mix init.

lol men and women should be treated as equals :rofl: :rofl:.

Christians and Catholics are just alike, pick the good bits from the bible and leave the rest.

Disgusting =]
miranda-ae
not sure - i i also think that intelligence-wise they should be treated as the same.
)

Thats a rash claim to make :yes:
Cesare Borgia
Be alright if I started a fight with you on a night out then?

******* relax man :lolwut:
Equal? Of course not, when women are so immeasurably superior. Men are only good for one thing, let's be honest, and even on that front most of them are pretty rubbish.

Put them in cages.
Phranchesskah
Equal? Of course not, when women are so immeasurably superior. Men are only good for one thing, let's be honest, and even on that front most of them are pretty rubbish.

Put them in cages.

Lol hilarious, I will rep you for that.
Phranchesskah

Put them in cages.

That all very well missy, until theres a power cut in your house or the toilet gets blocked.... The superior women would be having a 3 day discussion on how to solve the problem. Plus women would kill each other without men.
Men and women are completely different, so treating both exactly the same in the name of equality would be ludicrous. Of course, no-one should have their social opportunities limited based solely on their sex or gender if they are capable of doing whatever it is that is required of them, but we have to take into account the differences between people. For example, it would be silly to expect a female to be as physically strong as a male, since most aren't by nature.

infernalcradle
I got absolutly raped in a history class full of girls (doing womens rights) when I said that men and women shouldn't be treated equally in some jobs due to men bieng physically stronger and that I sort of agreed that whilst women could stand up for themselves, it didn't make it any less of a mans duty to protect them and care for them.....I am now labelled as male chauvanist pig for saying that....wtf???

Ugh, feminazis :rolleyes: What you said wasn't unreasonable at all. The only thing I don't agree with is the idea that men should protect women. Women should protect THEMSELVES in my opinion, and that's because I think that protection of oneself is one's own responsibility, not anyone else's.

O-Ren
I would like men and women to be treated like unique human people and not forced to behave or live in the way that society deems is 'feminine' or 'masculine' just because they have a vagina or a penis.

Absolutely.
How girls are allowed to be Firemen or Policemen I'll never know. I heard a story I think it might have been on here, of 2 women paramedics were called out and couldn't lift a 15 stone guy into an ambulance and he died(probably would have died anyway but.. you know).
Reply 69
anotheregostar
I'd love it if a guy had the balls to start a fight on me. I hate the idea that you shouldn't fight a woman - you shouldn't pick fights on the feeble, perhaps, but woman aren't all feeble. I'm tough. Bring it.

But guys find it to be morally evil to hit a girl, whereas hitting a fellow guy doesn't generate the slightest guilt.
Why would I want to be treated like a man? I'm not a man. Gay people don't want to be treated like they're straight; black people don't want to be treated like they're white.

I believe all humans should have certain basic rights and opportunities... and sometimes the rights of men are also a bit lacking.
Reply 71
electriic_ink
Girls like to be treated the same as men only when it suits them. All other times it's sexist.

This
Reply 72
TheSownRose
I want to be treated equal to, and for all women to be of equal worth and held in equal esteem as, men ... but equally does not mean the same. We shouldn't treat anyone, regardless of gender, the same as another person.

Jelkin
Why can't people just be treated like people, with less of this stupid gender segregation nonsense.

I don't think anyone should pick a fight with anyone else, but especially anyone weaker (of either gender).

O-Ren
I would like men and women to be treated like unique human people and not forced to behave or live in the way that society deems is 'feminine' or 'masculine' just because they have a vagina or a penis.

Agree with you all. Don't think the way somebody is treated should be defined by their gender in the first place.

infernalcradle
also, I am yet to meet a girl who doesn't like to feel safe in their boyfriend's arms or enjoy bieng taken care of every now and again.....then again, there is a first for everything

oh and....about not needing male protection....when I last looked women weren't allowed in the infantry, so in an indirect way you are constantly protected by men......dubious point, I know, but a valid one nevertheless

Firstly, there are many women like me who want their relationship with their partner (man or woman) to be equal. For me that means that if I see my partner in trouble I will do my best to help them and they will do the same for me. So yes, you could say that I like to feel safe in my boyfriend's arms but not because I'm woman and therefore in need of protection from men.

Secondly, I live in Finland where women are allowed in the infantry. :biggrin: (And even if they weren't I hardly think your argument would be in any way relevant.)
No. I am a woman. I have capabilities and strengths that men could only dream of, I am fundamentally different to a man. I would like to be treated well on my own merits, not according to a male set of values :smile:
Deadly Lightshade
Why would I want to be treated like a man? I'm not a man. Gay people don't want to be treated like they're straight; black people don't want to be treated like they're white.

I believe all humans should have certain basic rights and opportunities... and sometimes the rights of men are also a bit lacking.

Excellently put. Its the difference between Martin Luther King and Malcolm X in terms of the American Civil Rights movement - MLK wanted to be treated equally to a white man whereas Malcom X wanted to be respected as a black man.
xx
Reply 75
Girls shouldn't be treated the same as men as they are mentally different. If I told the majority of my girlfriends that they were fat they'd be pretty down, if i told any of my manfriends they were fat it would just be a bit of banter.
Of course not. I'm not a man, so why should I be treated like one? I'd hate to be treated like a man!
Reply 77
blinkbelle
No. I am a woman. I have capabilities and strengths that men could only dream of, I am fundamentally different to a man. I would like to be treated well on my own merits, not according to a male set of values

urgh, like...
Reply 78
electriic_ink
Girls like to be treated the same as men only when it suits them. All other times it's sexist.

This.
Whenever they want something even slightly heavy to be moved, they're all weak & feeble!

But I like that, makes me feel like a man :smile:. It'd be a big turn off for me if a woman was as masculine as me, just like it would be for most women if their man was as feminine as them
Reply 79
"Different but equal" ftw! While they should be given equal opportunities and respect, and judged based upon competence and merit, men and women are definitely different and those differences are worth celebrating. Attempting to homogenize gender and regard women the same as men is pointless and kind of negates the value of being female, don't you think? At the same time, though, people shouldn't be restricted by their gender or confined to the gender roles that can sometimes result from overemphasizing the differences.....so "different but equal" with individual freedom sounds like the best bet

Latest

Trending

Trending