Turn on thread page Beta

Girls: do you want to be treated like, and regarded as being the same as, a man? watch

• View Poll Results: Girls - do you want women to be treated identically to men?
    Yes! Aside from that annoying business of reproduction, there should be no difference seen between men and women.
    22.03%
    I'm not sure. I may clarify by posting in the thread!
    6.61%
    No, wtf? Men and women are quite different and I wouldn't want women to be treated exactly the same as men.
    43.17%
    z0mgpoll
    28.19%

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with the thread title.

Girls - do you want to be tread like a man?
    what does that even mean? Do you treat your gf the same way you treat a female friend or your mother? no... but are these three women equal? yes, I'd say so. They have the same rights.

Girls - do you want to be regarded as being the same as a man?
    We are not the same. We have the same rights - we are not the same. Even among men, we are not the same. We are extremely different. We can even be extremely different from our siblings let alone "strangers". We have different skills, interests, abilities, etc. So this question is total ********. No two human beings are alike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    No. I am a woman. I have capabilities and strengths that men could only dream of, I am fundamentally different to a man. I would like to be treated well on my own merits, not according to a male set of values

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Rose Bowl)
    How girls are allowed to be Firemen or Policemen I'll never know. I heard a story I think it might have been on here, of 2 women paramedics were called out and couldn't lift a 15 stone guy into an ambulance and he died(probably would have died anyway but.. you know).
    I'm actually applying to the Fire Service at the moment. You do realise that everyone has to pass exactly the same physical tests, right? As well as the medicals, interview and written situational tests? I have a lot of physical strength, a lot more than the average girl, yet I don't look like a man at all. Looks like sexist people like you are going to be the barrier, a lot more than anything else. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So I see everyone ignored me when I asked why you wanted to be treated differently for being a woman?

C'mon, let's see some well-reasoned answers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    Why would I want to be treated like a man? I'm not a man. Gay people don't want to be treated like they're straight; black people don't want to be treated like they're white.

I believe all humans should have certain basic rights and opportunities... and sometimes the rights of men are also a bit lacking.
    Huh? I think you'll find that we actually would like to be treated like human beings actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    So I see everyone ignored me when I asked why you wanted to be treated differently for being a woman?

Because women are not men :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Because women are not men
    Still doesn't mean they should be treated differently though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    no
    care to expand with a well-reasoned argument for why society should automatically treat people differently for what sexual organs they have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    Depends on the situation.

Career and job prospect wise, yes.
    In a relationship (and other friendships), noo waayy.
    What do you mean by this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    She means. Girls shouldn't ask men out. Men should pay for EVERYTHING on anight out. Things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Still doesn't mean they should be treated differently though.
    Would you cook a carrot in the same way and for the same time as an onion? No. Why? Because they are different - although they are both vegetables they are not the same and have fundamental differents inherent withhin them that warrant not being treated the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    not sure - i think that opportunities/education etc. women should definitely be treated the same. i also think that intelligence-wise they should be treated as the same.

however, there are differences. i am friends with a lot of blokes, and though i dont mind a bit of teasing, i couldnt cope with the onslaught of basically bullying guys give each other :P also i think there are some jobs that just straight out suit men better, e.g. the majority of completely physical jobs.

tbh, i think we've got it almost right now
    You can't cope with teasing because you're sensitive, not because you are a woman. Yes, there are a far higher number of sensitive women than there are sensitive guys, but it's not like women are fundamentally incapable of taking teasing is it. I'm female and my male friends mock me as much as they mock each other.

And are you saying that a woman should be automatically rejected from a job involving heavy-lifting because she has a vagina? Even if she has giant muscles and weight lifts in her spare time?

If you know a person is sensitive you shouldn't tease them. If you know a person is physically weak you shouldn't hire them to lift stuff. That is a very different statement to 'men and women should be treated differently'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    Be alright if I started a fight with you on a night out then?
    LOL

Do you think a man would be alright with it if you started a fight with him on a night out?

:haha:

Randomly starting a fight on someone is wrong, it's much more wrong if they are physically weaker than you and can't realistically defend themselves. This is why it is generally worse for a guy to start on a girl than on a guy, not because she has a vagina and breasts and the XX chromosomes, but because she is probably physically weaker. It would be just as wrong to start on a very weak male. It's about the weakness not the gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)

I see you ignored me when I responded to your question... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    No. Men and women may be equal in value, but they are in no way the same, and it should stay that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Girls like to be treated the same as men only when it suits them. All other times it's sexist.
    Can you give me an example of an incident where a girl has been treated no differently to a guy and she has complained of sexism?

I think it's more likely to be the other way round: girls being treated differently for being girls is what causes them to complain of sexism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_x)
    No, I wouldn't want to be treated equal to a man. Simply because we're not. Equality can't happen because everyone is different, and there's too many of these differences to create equality.

I believe in post-feminism basically, and fight for equal rights as appose to equality (yes, I think there is a difference). I'm aware that I'm a woman, and I don't want to be discriminated against because of it - however it doesn't mean I would want to be treated "like a man".
    So you're aware that everyone is different, every human is different, yet you still want humans with vaginas to be treated differently in life than humans with penises? Despite the fact that - as you say - every human is a unique individual?

You're confused love. Sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizzieLizzie.)
    Hmmm, no. Not exactly the same. I mean, I don't want to be treated any less than men, but I don't exactly want to be treated.. like a man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    This is why it is generally worse for a guy to start on a girl than on a guy, not because she has ... the XX chromosomes, but because she is probably physically weaker.
    The two are inextricably linked, sorry love.

It's just pedantry to continually remind us that some tiny, tiny proportion of women exhibit traditionally masculine traits to a higher degree than some tiny proportion of men. We know that.

But, in all areas of our life, we use stereotypes to help us judge what course of action to take. It's the only way we can do anything, we'd literally be paralysed by indecision and a complete inability to act. There are countless examples to think of. I don't know - if I was out in the countryside and I noticed a bull running towards me in a field, I would get the **** out of there, because chances are it was going to **** me up. Now OMFG it might have just stopped near me and wanted feeding, or some attention. NOT ALL BULLS ARE AGGRESSIVE AND WILL HURT YOUUUU.
    If instead a little cat came trotting over, I'd kneel down and encourage it to come closer and try to touch it and stuff. BUT NOT ALL CATS ARE FRIENDLY AND DOCILE - what if really it was going to slash my throat open?

The average man is so extremely different to the average woman. The majority of men are so extremely different to the majority of women. There are a number of traits seen very commonly in one gender that are seen only rarely in the other gender.
    I believe that the extent and prevalance of these differences is enough reason to use a policy of provisional prejudice based on someone's gender, when dealing with someone.

Furthermore, I would not wish to see the behavioural and cognitive differences between men and women eroded - I enjoy there being two distinct genders. I have similar views on different races and cultures - I want to maintain differences between people. For some perverted reason, that is sexist and racist.

ReputationRep:
    There's a difference between treating two people the same, and giving two people the same opportunities.

Women and men should have the same opportunities. But, there are differences between the genders, and I think it's quite silly to assume that everybody is exactly the same. It's also my problem with the education system; the university and polytechnic system offered people the same opportunities, but the current university system treats everybody as the same. It shouldn't be that way - people are different, and those differences should be recognised and dealt with, instead of brushing them under the carpet for fear of being criticised as being discriminatory.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.