Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: do you want to be treated like, and regarded as being the same as, a man? watch

• View Poll Results: Girls - do you want women to be treated identically to men?
    Yes! Aside from that annoying business of reproduction, there should be no difference seen between men and women.
    22.03%
    I'm not sure. I may clarify by posting in the thread!
    6.61%
    No, wtf? Men and women are quite different and I wouldn't want women to be treated exactly the same as men.
    43.17%
    z0mgpoll
    28.19%

ReputationRep:
    No. I like to feel protected by men, and in return I like to feel like I can be more affectionate etc towards him, in a way that man to man would very much equal gay.

I also don't want to be expected to wee standing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    I got absolutly raped in a history class full of girls (doing womens rights) when I said that men and women shouldn't be treated equally in some jobs due to men bieng physically stronger and that I sort of agreed that whilst women could stand up for themselves, it didn't make it any less of a mans duty to protect them and care for them.....I am now labelled as male chauvanist pig for saying that....wtf???
    You seriously think that all men are stronger than all women?

Have you seen some of the weakling men there are?? Some of the scary butch army women there are?

Obviously if you are with a girl and a man tries to attack her, you should jump in and help her. HOWEVER that is not because she's a girl. It's because she's a human being who is being attacked. If you were with a male friend, and he was attacked by a guy, you're hardly going to think 'oh he's a man he doesn't need my help'. You might think 'he's strong and about to fend him off' or if he's not strong, I assume you would help him.

And saying women need men to care for them? What are you on mate?

Most humans need other humans to lean on at some point, has nothing to do with gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francake)
    Hm, I don't think you can say women can be treated exactly the same as men?

I would like to be allowed to pay for my half of a meal or a taxi or something, my partner thinks he has to pay for everything because I'm a girl, i've been "allowed" to pay for a taxi exactly once, it's the one thing we argue over.
    I'd like to be able to go to a hardcore gig without blokes trying to avoid knocking into me if I go into the pit of my own accord, I'm there to have fun
    The fight thing's difficult, you can't deny that a lot of dudes would inflict some serious damage on a girl but if she's got into the situation of her own accord (she's hit him first being most obvious) then it's only fair that she expects some kind of retaliation, just like if a guy who wasn't particularly powerful started on another guy. Throwing the "but I'm a giiiiirl" argument out just makes you look like an idiot and you're demeaning girls who can look after themselves but aren't dumb enough to be aggressive for the sake.

In terms of intelligence/employment and related things, gender shouldn't come into capability - if you prove you're good at it you deserve to be hired.

I don't know, that's all I've got on this
    Your boyfriend 'allowed' you to do something?

Sounds like he has issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)

you're right - he shouldn't be allowing her to do stuff. What a pussy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Because women are not men :confused:
    In the human race there are two genders. Male and Female. One has the XY chromosomes one has the XX chromosomes. One has a penis and balls. One has breasts and a vagina and uterus.

Should they be treated differently in life for this?

Think hard before you answer please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    You seriously think that all men are stronger than all women?

Have you seen some of the weakling men there are?? Some of the scary butch army women there are?
    holy ****, ahahaha. You're still doing it, wtf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    In the human race there are two genders. Male and Female. One has the XY chromosomes one has the XX chromosomes. One has a penis and balls. One has breasts and a vagina and uterus.

Why are you asking me the same question I answered. Women and men should not be treated the same, because they are not the same. How is that difficult to understand?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    She means. Girls shouldn't ask men out. Men should pay for EVERYTHING on anight out. Things like that.
    :p:

I like your responses. I also completely agree with what you said to that girl who was going on about treating people differently because they were 'white' or 'black'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)

Before we answer - are they the only inherent and constant differences between men and women, right?

(and we better get rid of "breasts" because some men have larger breasts than some women.)

ReputationRep:
    I want to be regarded the same in most respects. However, I'm a fan of chivalry to a degree.

ReputationRep:
    wth. I don't get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)

I don't mean it like that; it's just that he thinks he has to pay for everything when I'd rather go halves...it's usually time consuming arguing in a taxi when the driver wants their money. He doesn't have issues We're both quite independent people, I guess it's just his way of being chivalrous that I don't appreciate all that much.

ReputationRep:
    No. I want to be treated as an individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Would you cook a carrot in the same way and for the same time as an onion? No. Why? Because they are different - although they are both vegetables they are not the same and have fundamental differents inherent withhin them that warrant not being treated the same.
    Yes that's understandable. However for humans. Men and women. There is nothing a man can do that a woman cannot excluding intensive exercises that require strength. That's the only main difference between the two genders. Men are stronger, women are weaker. Why should we treat you differently just because you're weaker? Besides, women can become as strong as the average man with little work. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)

I like your responses. I also completely agree with what you said to that girl who was going on about treating people differently because they were 'white' or 'black'.
    Heh thanks can also say the same to you on many occasions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's understandable. However for humans. Men and women. There is nothing a man can do that a woman cannot excluding intensive exercises that require strength. That's the only main difference between the two genders. Men are stronger, women are weaker. Why should we treat you differently just because you're weaker?
    You don't reckon there are any cognitive differences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    The two are inextricably linked, sorry love.

It's just pedantry to continually remind us that some tiny, tiny proportion of women exhibit traditionally masculine traits to a higher degree than some tiny proportion of men. We know that.

But, in all areas of our life, we use stereotypes to help us judge what course of action to take. It's the only way we can do anything, we'd literally be paralysed by indecision and a complete inability to act. There are countless examples to think of. I don't know - if I was out in the countryside and I noticed a bull running towards me in a field, I would get the **** out of there, because chances are it was going to **** me up. Now OMFG it might have just stopped near me and wanted feeding, or some attention. NOT ALL BULLS ARE AGGRESSIVE AND WILL HURT YOUUUU.
    If instead a little cat came trotting over, I'd kneel down and encourage it to come closer and try to touch it and stuff. BUT NOT ALL CATS ARE FRIENDLY AND DOCILE - what if really it was going to slash my throat open?

The average man is so extremely different to the average woman. The majority of men are so extremely different to the majority of women. There are a number of traits seen very commonly in one gender that are seen only rarely in the other gender.
    I believe that the extent and prevalance of these differences is enough reason to use a policy of provisional prejudice based on someone's gender, when dealing with someone.

Furthermore, I would not wish to see the behavioural and cognitive differences between men and women eroded - I enjoy there being two distinct genders. I have similar views on different races and cultures - I want to maintain differences between people. For some perverted reason, that is sexist and racist.
    Hi Billy No Mates

Yes, women are biologically programmed to be weaker than most men, and men are biologically programmed to be stronger than most women.

I have never argued this. What you don't seem to understand is, the reason why it would be wrong for the average strength man to hit the average strength woman is because of the difference in strength. If the average strength man hit a man who had the same strength as the average woman (i.e. he was an extremely weak man) it would be just as wrong.

It wouldn't be less wrong because he has a penis, it would be just as wrong as the first instance - where the victim has a vagina - because both victims were of equal strength and equally unable to defend themselves.

To say otherwise is actually sexist towards men and the reason abuse against men isn't taken so seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    You're confused love. Sort it out.
    (Original post by O-Ren)

Your posts must be some of the most passive-aggressive I have ever come across on TSR.

Calm down love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    You don't reckon there are any cognitive differences?
    I'm pretty dumb, I don't know what cognitive means. Well in terms of differences, of course there are differences but why should that be an excuse to treat them any differently?

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's understandable. However for humans. Men and women. There is nothing a man can do that a woman cannot excluding intensive exercises that require strength. That's the only main difference between the two genders.
    Errr, no.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_humans

The list is quite extensive and goes well beyond brute force and strength, although that is perhaps the most obvious difference.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.