Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: do you want to be treated like, and regarded as being the same as, a man? watch

• View Poll Results: Girls - do you want women to be treated identically to men?
    Yes! Aside from that annoying business of reproduction, there should be no difference seen between men and women.
    22.03%
    I'm not sure. I may clarify by posting in the thread!
    6.61%
    No, wtf? Men and women are quite different and I wouldn't want women to be treated exactly the same as men.
    43.17%
    z0mgpoll
    28.19%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    Depends on the situation.

Career and job prospect wise, yes.
    In a relationship (and other friendships), noo waayy.
    Hahaha, yeah I want equality at work, but I want an advantage in relationships..

IF YOU WANT EQUALITY YOU GET IT EITHER EVERYWHERE OR NO WHERE!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    I don't really agree with this. I think going and randomly hitting world's strongest man is just as morally unjustifiable as hitting anyone else. Sure the consequences may be different (if I hit worlds strongest man I'm going to get my ass kicked) but the action in itself is just as wrong no matter who it is directed at.
    Ridiculous. If you hit the world's strongest man in the stomach you probably wouldn't hurt him too much. If you hit the average 13 year old girl in the stomach you would hurt her a lot more.

It's not about whether you're going to get your ass kicked after, it's about the damage inflicted on the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Since I'm a guy, If you punch me for no reason and then I punch you back. It's ok. I agree with that. Fair is fair.

Now if a woman did the exact same thing you did and then I punch her back, I'd get the beating of a lifetime, why is this?
    It's because you'll probably find lots of men on nights out are wanna-be knights in shining armour and are out looking for a fight. I agree it isn't fair, but disregarding all differences between men and women and pretending we are identical doesn't solve anything.

I put it in speech marks because I don't believe it's true at all.
    I realise you don't believe its true, but still don't see how it is any way relevant to the topic at hand.

ReputationRep:
    i believe in equality, being treated the same is different. like someone else said, some of the ripping into that guys get is harsh. but the guys in my year at school are awful, they genuinely believe they are better than girls because they are male. they genuinely believe it. and if they get with five girls on a night out, they are a legend, but if a girl does it she's a disgusting ****. and all the 'get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich' crap is ridiculous. although these are a bunch of 16 year old boys who think they are 'lads', don't really count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    Eh? Is that a joke?
    Nope, it's just how I feel. I personally feel that black people in this country are treated far worse than their white counterparts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheebs101)
    i believe in equality, being treated the same is different. like someone else said, some of the ripping into that guys get is harsh. but the guys in my year at school are awful, they genuinely believe they are better than girls because they are male. they genuinely believe it. and if they get with five girls on a night out, they are a legend, but if a girl does it she's a disgusting ****. and all the 'get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich' crap is ridiculous. although these are a bunch of 16 year old boys who think they are 'lads', don't really count.
    Really? I've never heard misogynism or racism in real life. I'm from Surrey and I want to a state school but it was mostly lower-middle-class people. What area do you leave in?

That's pretty shocking. Maybe the internet has made it 'cool' to be misogynist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)
    Really? I've never heard misogynism or racism in real life. I'm from Surrey and I want to a state school but it was mostly lower-middle-class people. What area do you leave in?

That's what I think, though schools full of adolescent boys trying to look 'hard' by being sexist is nothing new. I used to get sexist abuse sometimes playing football (where I was the only girl), despite the fact that I was as good as the majority of them... :eek: Saying that, the guys in my form were nearly always lovely, and respected the fact that I could play well, it was a particular group of guys from other forms who were *********.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it's just how I feel. I personally feel that black people in this country are treated far worse than their white counterparts.
    Oh, I see.

Your "we actually would like to be treated like human beings" statement works well with my point.

You want to be treated with the respect due to a human being, which, incidentally, you see the white people around you having (to a greater extent).

We should no longer need to talk about appropriating another colour/gender etc. as a way of expressing our desire for human rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O-Ren)

are you being sarcastic..? that was a genuine question! can't believe you've never had that thrown at you?? all girls at my school get it all the time. and i go to a private school... probably cos they've been brought up by their mum's doing everything for them so they think that's what a woman should be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    Oh, I see.

Your "we actually would like to be treated like human beings" statement works well with my point.

You want to be treated with the respect due to a human being, which, incidentally, you see the white people around you having (to a greater extent).

We should no longer need to talk about appropriating another colour/gender etc. as a way of expressing our desire for human rights.
    I guess I can agree with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    That's what I think, though schools full of adolescent boys trying to look 'hard' by being sexist is nothing new. I used to get sexist abuse sometimes playing football (where I was the only girl), despite the fact that I was as good as the majority of them... Saying that, the guys in my form were nearly always lovely, and respected the fact that I could play well, it was a particular group of guys from other forms who were *********.
    I hope you can back up that statement on the pitch :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Yes:

Careers and pay
    Relationships
    Paying your own way
    Objectifying

No:
    Physical strength

ReputationRep:
    I hope you can back up that statement on the pitch :sexface:
    I'm sure I could, though I haven't played since I was in Year 11, nine years ago, so I'd be a bit out of practice

There is a male and there is a female hence there is a difference; otherwise we would have been all of the same gender :rolleyes:
    I believe that women should be treated the same way as men are in certain situations but in other situations no.
    Men not only have the physical strength but the mental strength too. Women are usually affected by emotions and feelings which in some cases are not useful nor helpful at all, which is why I believe that there are certain jobs that do not suit women at all, one of which is leadership.
    If we think about the olden days where womens concentrated on bringing up good children and the men had the role of bringing money to feed them etc; the society was so much more stabalised, and each gender had its own value; today however many women are fighting for equality, not knowing that the equality they are wanting will take away the precious value that women always had.
    Saying that however, women should, not be equal to, but have the same rights as men in certain cases, this includes education, their right when it comes to justice, money ...etc.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt in every scenario want to be treated like a man no.....

ReputationRep:
    So from this thread, I gather a lot of girls want to have their cake and eat it ('Full rights in legal and employment matters plz, but be nice and look after me everywhere else, because i'm really weak, over-sensitive and generally dainty') - and a lot of guys, well just being morons, but thats hardly surprising if they keep encountering aforementioned girls.

The idea of masculinity and femininity is made-up believe it or not (probably 'not', for most of you here) - besides the fact that our society enforces these stereotypes in all manner of ways, i'm guessing girls go along with it because it generally means they can get other people to look after them and helps them avoid becoming responsible for themselves, and guys go along with it because it makes them feel big and important.

I love the idea that some girls here seem to think being treated like a guy means they are going to get punched in the face - breaking news, guys don't generally go around punching other people in the face for funsies, I think you're confusing us with ancient spartans or klingons.

Now personally, while I do think the whole masculine/feminine thing is ********, I have to say I generally have more respect for the masculine concept than feminine - I mean to the girls who want to be treated like 'ladies' - would you have much respect for a guy that wanted to be treated like a girl?

Imagine - a weedy guy that generally expect girls to ask him out (after he's given a bunch of vague hints/signals) because he doesn't want people to think he's a ****/desperate. Expects it to be ok to slap men in the face when he's angry with them (and complain if they retaliate), loves hanging around people bigger and stronger than him because then he feels safe and protected because they will look after him (god forbid, he even tries to look after himself), starts crying if anyone calls him fat or insults his new hairdo, even as a joke (he isn't oversensitive after all, everyone else is just being really mean) - oh and also doesn't like to 'give it up' to a new girlfriend straight away, in case the girl thinks he's easy and a bit of a slut.

I freely admit, deep down, i'm full of disdain for humanity in general - but the amount of girls who think they should be able to act like that - purely because they are female, brings out the misogynist in me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheebs101)
    are you being sarcastic..? that was a genuine question! can't believe you've never had that thrown at you?? all girls at my school get it all the time. and i go to a private school... probably cos they've been brought up by their mum's doing everything for them so they think that's what a woman should be doing.
    I've honestly never heard racism or sexism in my life. I've heard a few nasty things said about 'chavs' though. Not regularly, just by a few of the posher people at my sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    @algerie_mon_amour: I could not disagree with you more.

In response to the poll, I wish to be treated as a human being, and that has absolutely NOTHING to do with my gender. Equality for all human beings, in all ways. I don't want people to hold open doors for me because I am a girl, I want them to hold them open because it is kind and they wish to show kindness to other human beings. I am disgusted by girls who EXPECT to have things bought for them solely on the basis of their gender: after all, surely if you're not buying your own dinners, why do you need the same wages? Gender equality goes both ways, I'm afraid.

On the whole physical strength thing, yes, men are in general physically stronger than women, so no, they should not be picking fights with women on the basis of "well, we're equal now, aren't we?". The way I see it, starting fights with people you know are weaker than you is just plain cowardice and there's no honour in winning that. But of course, on the other hand, if a woman attacks a man, he has every right to use force in self-defense.

</angry feminist>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    There is a male and there is a female hence there is a difference; otherwise we would have been all of the same gender :rolleyes:
    I believe that women should be treated the same way as men are in certain situations but in other situations no.
    Men not only have the physical strength but the mental strength too. Women are usually affected by emotions and feelings which in some cases are not useful nor helpful at all, which is why I believe that there are certain jobs that do not suit women at all, one of which is leadership.
    If we think about the olden days where womens concentrated on bringing up good children and the men had the role of bringing money to feed them etc; the society was so much more stabalised, and each gender had its own value; today however many women are fighting for equality, not knowing that the equality they are wanting will take away the precious value that women always had.
    Saying that however, women should, not be equal to, but have the same rights as men in certain cases, this includes education, their right when it comes to justice, money ...etc.
    Your ignorance is disturbing and horrifying. I only hope from your flag you actually do live far away in the Palestinian territories and not in my country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thrasymachus)
    So from this thread, I gather a lot of girls want to have their cake and eat it ('Full rights in legal and employment matters plz, but be nice and look after me everywhere else, because i'm really weak, over-sensitive and generally dainty') - and a lot of guys, well just being morons, but thats hardly surprising if they keep encountering aforementioned girls.

The idea of masculinity and femininity is made-up believe it or not (probably 'not', for most of you here) - besides the fact that our society enforces these stereotypes in all manner of ways, i'm guessing girls go along with it because it generally means they can get other people to look after them and helps them avoid becoming responsible for themselves, and guys go along with it because it makes them feel big and important.

I love the idea that some girls here seem to think being treated like a guy means they are going to get punched in the face - breaking news, guys don't generally go around punching other people in the face for funsies, I think you're confusing us with ancient spartans or klingons.

Now personally, while I do think the whole masculine/feminine thing is ********, I have to say I generally have more respect for the masculine concept than feminine - I mean to the girls who want to be treated like 'ladies' - would you have much respect for a guy that wanted to be treated like a girl?

Imagine - a really weedy guy that generally expect girls to ask him out (after he's given a bunch of vague hints/signals) because he doesn't want people to think he's a ****/desperate. Expects it to be ok to slap men in the face when he's angry with them (and complain if they retaliate), loves hanging around people bigger and stronger than him because then he feels safe and protected because they will look after him (god forbid, he even tries to look after himself), starts crying if anyone calls him fat or insults his new hairdo, even as a joke (he isn't oversensitive after all, everyone else is just being really mean) - oh and also doesn't like to 'give it up' to a new girlfriend straight away, in case the girl thinks he's easy and a bit of a slut.

I freely admit, deep down, i'm full of disdain for humanity in general - but the amount of girls who think they should be able to act like that - purely because they are female, brings out the misogynist in me.
    Have you actually read the rest of the thread? Very few girls here have said they think it's wrong for them to be punched because they are a girl, the majority have said that it's wrong for a girl to be punched only if the person punching them is stronger than them. It would be the same if it was a really strong girl punching a skinny guy, for example.

I find the worst masculine stereotypes just as bad as the feminine ones, to be honest - laddish, cocky, completely clueless about anything to do with running a house, expecting the woman to do all the housework even if she works exactly the same hours as him, obsessed with sex & unable to keep their eyes or hands to themselves, interested in beer, cars, sex & football and nothing else, completely tactless & unable to understand why people might be upset with them.... That's the STEREOTYPE, obviously I don't think most guys are like that at all, just like I don't believe that most girls are the epitome of the worst 'female' stereotypes. I actually find it very sad that you seem to believe that most girls do fit the worst stereotypes.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.