Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I intend to make a visit to Belize around June this year. I will be volunteering at a couple of clinics in Belize City, and I will staying for around a month. The organisation I will be working with do not help you with travel and accommodation expenses.

Have anyone ever been to Belize? How did you find it? Was it safe? I have just looked around very quickly for flights and the cheapest I can get is around £650. Anyone know where I can get a cheaper price?

Also regarding accommodation. I am thinking of staying in a hostel or something similar. Any thoughts?

Your help is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I went to Belize for Christmas, we took a bus from Mexico though = no need for flights, so that I don't know about. I liked Belize a lot in general, unfortunately I must say (sorry, I wish I could say something different!) that I didn't like Belize City much.. Saying that however, we only spent a couple of hours there on the way to and from Caye Caulker (which you should so totally visit, it is awesome!). So, my impression might be totally wrong. And if you have something to do there it's different anyways..

Just wanted to bump this thread. Everything is set and I shall hopefully be making the trip in early June. Instead of going to Belize City, I shall be working and staying in Punta Gorda Town in the South of Belize. Has anyone else been to this town, or anywhere else in Belize?

ReputationRep:
    Belize City is indeed a hole.
    The rest of the country is pretty nice, although its kinda crumbling. I have a lot of fun there, but i confess to spending most of my time on Caye Caulker.

Perhaps try negotiating a long term rate with a hostel/hotel? Maybe the people you will work with have a recommendation? Maybe you can stay with one of them for a small fee?

You'll probably find cheaper flights to Cancun, Mexico. You can then enter overland from the north. Maybe check out Guatemala too - i recall 500 quid flights. It would be a 2-3 day trip into Belize, but stretch it to 2 weeks as there's some very cool stuff to see, given you're in the region. You might also find a cheap deal to Eastern USA or Canada and something flying down from there.

(Original post by brabzzz)
    Belize City is indeed a hole.
    The rest of the country is pretty nice, although its kinda crumbling. I have a lot of fun there, but i confess to spending most of my time on Caye Caulker.

Perhaps try negotiating a long term rate with a hostel/hotel? Maybe the people you will work with have a recommendation? Maybe you can stay with one of them for a small fee?

You'll probably find cheaper flights to Cancun, Mexico. You can then enter overland from the north. Maybe check out Guatemala too - i recall 500 quid flights. It would be a 2-3 day trip into Belize, but stretch it to 2 weeks as there's some very cool stuff to see, given you're in the region. You might also find a cheap deal to Eastern USA or Canada and something flying down from there.
    Thanks for your reply. The clinic I am working with wanted to put me in with a family initially, but since my brother is coming with me, I was thinking of renting a place. Hotels are pretty cheap, a month for a double room is $400 which is okay. My plane ticket is paid for, but we are finding it so bloody difficult to get a cheap ticket for my brother. Cheapest I found yesterday was £680 return to Belize City. The plane to Punta Gorda is another $200!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.