Turn on thread page Beta

Slightly confused re. number of GCSEs. watch

ReputationRep:
    My brother (currently year 9) just got back from his GCSE option evening with some information which has slightly confused me. I'm year 11, about to get GCSEs in
    Maths (compulsory)
    English lit (compulsory)
    English (compulsory)
    Science Dual award (compulsory- but I'm taking triple as one of my options)
    RS (half is compulsory but I'm taking the full award)
    Compulsory Language- German
    Option 1- History
    Option 2- Music
    Option 3- Triple science
    That's 10 GCSEs -the maximum anyone in our year can take.

But my brother (at the same school) has to take, as his compulsory options;
    Maths & Statistics (dual award)
    Science (dual award)
    English
    English Lit
    RS (half- possibly rising to full)
    ICT (half- possibly rising to full)
    A language, but this is where it gets complicated, because IF they take French they can fastrack, and then take a second French GCSE in year 11, somehow leaving them with 2.5 French GCSEs overal.

So that's... the possibility of taking 10.5 GCSEs and that's before they get onto their 3 options. (My brother plans to take a second language- German, history and drama), meaning he could end up with 13.5 GCSEs, that's 3.5 more than it's possible for me to even take, only two years after I take them.

Sorry finally getting to the point now;
    Are the number of GCSEs being taken increasing all over the country, or is our school just trying to kill off it's students?

ReputationRep:
    hey, im getting sixteen, but all in pointless subjects. :| And my schools increasing the number of gcses because its failing - I'm guessing yours isn't? All the new gcses at my school are in things like health + social, travel and tourism... etc D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bron-winnie)
    Are the number of GCSEs being taken increasing all over the country, or is our school just trying to kill off it's students?
    Our school shifted some of the GCSEs back one year, and then forced us to do extra qualifications in Year 11. Some people ended up getting 15/16 GCSEs by the end of the year. To be honest I think it is detrimental to students, but my school (I'm now in the sixth form) is a grammar and has recently started to push everyone to take extra exams. I completed my first GCSE in year 9. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Our school's introduced OCR everything - thank god we were the last year with some hope!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doivid)
    Our school shifted some of the GCSEs back one year, and then forced us to do extra qualifications in Year 11. Some people ended up getting 15/16 GCSEs by the end of the year. To be honest I think it is detrimental to students, but my school (I'm now in the sixth form) is a grammar and has recently started to push everyone to take extra exams. I completed my first GCSE in year 9. :rolleyes:

yeah, this is what i did, but purely because my school wanted to bump up results. D: I passed ict in year nine, but that doesn't really count cause its just stupid really :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    hey, im getting sixteen, but all in pointless subjects. :| And my schools increasing the number of gcses because its failing - I'm guessing yours isn't? All the new gcses at my school are in things like health + social, travel and tourism... etc D:
    Not epically, or at least if they are they're hiding it from us very well. The only subject we're not great at is English.

Hmm, it's just a bit wierd, because we're a state comp, in a non-grammar school area so we have students ranging from the extreme end of thick to extremely smart, and yet they're all being forced to take at least 11, while a lot of people in my year are struggling to survive taking 8/9.

ReputationRep:
    Not epically, or at least if they are they're hiding it from us very well. The only subject we're not great at is English.
    yeah, my schools actually failing properly- special measures, got changed into an academy etc, yet my entire year group is still taking anything from 14 - 16, and i'm also taking an AS level this year and studying AS maths :| I just think there needs to be a bit more control over what different schools do.. i know mine has changed so it can move up league tables, but people arent leaving with "good" gcses. Your schools probably just changing to keep up with other schools that are using the same tactic as mine - stupid gcses to move up league tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowDrops)
    Our school's introduced OCR everything - thank god we were the last year with some hope!
    I only do OCR History, luckily I rather love history. I find edexcel (music, maths, RS & german for me) to be worse than OCR, but that may just be because history is like, my best subject.
    I love AQA though, their science exams are a doddle, as long as you learn the syllabus!

yeah, this is what i did, but purely because my school wanted to bump up results. D: I passed ict in year nine, but that doesn't really count cause its just stupid really :L
    I'm doing everything in year 11, except the first half of my RS. My year was the first not to have the option of fasttrack French, but apparantly that has been reintroduced now. I hated French though.

ReputationRep:
    Our school ditched the ICT GCSE for our year and started doing the AIDA/CIDA/DIDA courses. They have now switched to doing some sort of OCR nationals qualification, which is not really going to help any students in life apart from the fact that the school has to provide the students with a level 2 ICT qualification.

My school is also a language college so that have been offering courses in AS languages in twilight sessions as well as 'asset' languages. We also have distance learning GCSE Latin via a webcam (which was my GCSE in year 9), that takes place at lunchtime once a week.

So confusing :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowDrops)
    What's wrong with OCR? I do their GCSEs for languages and geography, and they're fine.

Oh, and I'm only doing 9.5 GCSEs, including three early ones taken last year. I go to a grammar school and my brother, who goes to a different grammar school, can potentially do 13. But I am doing AS French in year 11, so...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it's just a bit wierd, because we're a state comp, in a non-grammar school area so we have students ranging from the extreme end of thick to extremely smart, and yet they're all being forced to take at least 11, while a lot of people in my year are struggling to survive taking 8/9.
    One of my friends in the sixth form went to the comprehensive school that I live 30 seconds away from and she said that at her school some people were encouraged to do gardening courses instead of GCSEs because secondary education wasn't for them. I can't imagine why your school is making the lower ability pupils take 11 GCSEs, instead of making them simply do the 'essential' ones, such as English and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    our school has started GCSEs in year 9 so people have to choose in year 8 :/ im so glad i missed that else id have chosen the completely wrong subject at that age!
    but it means loads of people have more GCSEs as they have 3 years of it, or if they fail the first time, they have a year to retake...
    basically so the school has better grades :L

ReputationRep:
    My school dropped it's GCSE numbers.

My brothers could take 11, whereas I could only take 9.5, which sucks. I think I could've handled 11 more so than my brothers! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Your schools probably just changing to keep up with other schools that are using the same tactic as mine - stupid gcses to move up league tables.
    Ah the ****ing league tables. I wonder which lessons they will be cutting down to give room to learn a whole load of new subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Our school ditched the ICT GCSE for our year and started doing the AIDA/CIDA/DIDA courses. They have now switched to doing some sort of OCR nationals qualification, which is not really going to help any students in life apart from the fact that the school has to provide the students with a level 2 ICT qualification.

My school is also a language college so that have been offering courses in AS languages in twilight sessions as well as 'asset' languages. We also have distance learning GCSE Latin via a webcam (which was my GCSE in year 9), that takes place at lunchtime once a week.

So confusing :mad:
    haha, i got three gcses in ICT? kinda shows just how ridiculous it is really, and i did OCR something D: + my school used to be a tech college, it doesnt run ANY languages at gcse/alevel, so count yourself lucky there my friend :P Mine got changed into an academy at the start of this year, hence the stupid gcses.. and a lot of people are doing subjects like childcare and stuff like that to boost our statistics :L

ReputationRep:
    Ah the ****ing league tables. I wonder which lessons they will be cutting down to give room to learn a whole load of new subjects.
    damnit, if only i'd seen this sooner, couldve replied to both in the same one! >.<

+ yeah, currently i do four periods a week of "life lessons" where we sit and eat skittles whilst gaining a qualification in social and citizen awareness. it's mad really. 25 lessons a week, and four are spent doing that, and i only have one lesson of chemistry a week! D:

ReputationRep:
    So that's... the possibility of taking 10.5 GCSEs and that's before they get onto their 3 options. (My brother plans to take a second language- German, history and drama), meaning he could end up with 13.5 GCSEs, that's 3.5 more than it's possible for me to even take, only two years after I take them.

Are you sure he's doing an extra French GCSE? In my school, the "top" set were fasttracked and did French GCSE in year 9, then the AS level in year 11... maybe he's doing that?

Anyway, I did 12.5 GCSEs and an AS level whilst at school, and we seemed to fit it in fine! I have no idea how you could only do 10... surely you must have had lots of free lessons?

ReputationRep:
    You have to do ICT by law...? My school doesn't offer it at all to people doing triple science unless they choose it as an option... (and they just got an outstandidng with Ofsted WTF?!?) And I'm doing 11.5 GCSE's - which is what all triple science people do. Some people doing double do statistics so do 10.5 and some don't (so 9.5). I thought that was complicated till I heard about other people's schools.

ReputationRep:
    My brother (currently year 9) just got back from his GCSE option evening with some information which has slightly confused me. I'm year 11, about to get GCSEs in
    Maths (compulsory)
    English lit (compulsory)
    English (compulsory)
    Science Dual award (compulsory- but I'm taking triple as one of my options)
    RS (half is compulsory but I'm taking the full award)
    Compulsory Language- German
    Option 1- History
    Option 2- Music
    Option 3- Triple science
    That's 10 GCSEs -the maximum anyone in our year can take.

But my brother (at the same school) has to take, as his compulsory options;
    Maths & Statistics (dual award)
    Science (dual award)
    English
    English Lit
    RS (half- possibly rising to full)
    ICT (half- possibly rising to full)
    A language, but this is where it gets complicated, because IF they take French they can fastrack, and then take a second French GCSE in year 11, somehow leaving them with 2.5 French GCSEs overal.

well, i know that there is no limit to how many GCSEs you take, legally. As long as you are on the examining board register and have your school registered, you can take the exam.
    At my school, we had to do RE a year early, and our compulsary subjects were triple science, maths, eng lang, eng lit and a language. then we took three subjects. then, last year (year 12) i took an extra language GCSE. sooo, that's 12 subjects, and this was by far not the most anyone in my year has done.
    i think it's because GCSEs are getting easier (there is NO denying this) and the best way to sort out the millions of 8 A*s and 2 As people are getting, are to push the students into getting 11 A*s and 3 As

ReputationRep:
    I find edexcel (music, maths, RS & german for me) to be worse than OCR
    Edexcel is a $h!tty exam board, I don't like OCR much and AQA is OK. Im in Year 12 and last year most people in my year did 10-12 GCSEs a few did 13/14 but 10 was standard. They offer more GCSEs now than they did when I was choosing my subjects. At my school Triple Science wasn't offered they offered to the year below so I missed out but my sister who is Year 10 can do it. They also offer things like Travel & Tourism, they force it on the thick kids though.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.