Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manic_fuzz)
    our school has started GCSEs in year 9 so people have to choose in year 8 :/ im so glad i missed that else id have chosen the completely wrong subject at that age!
    but it means loads of people have more GCSEs as they have 3 years of it, or if they fail the first time, they have a year to retake...
    basically so the school has better grades :L
    My cousin's independant school do that, but that's because they've never had to do KS3 Sats, lucky kids.
    The Government REALLY need to sort out these league tables.

(Original post by doivid)
    I can't imagine why your school is making the lower ability pupils take 11 GCSEs, instead of making them simply do the 'essential' ones, such as English and Maths.
    Yeah, but then our school's management has never been amazing. Our teachers are mostly really good, and our headteacher is brilliant, but everyone in between... (and it doesn't help that our governors, apart from the head of governors, are all middle-aged avid church-goers with no kids of their own, seriously).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    My sisters school has gone mad with academic power. She's in year 9 and has already started most of the core GCSEs. They have to sit the usual compulsory GCSEs plus a language and IT plus a diploma plus a BTEC.

She's somehow doing her regular GCSEs, a land based studies diploma and a health and beauty BTEC. The poor dear is stupidly intelligent and just wanted to take GCSEs but the school gave her no option but to attend college too.

Everything's for the sake of league tables and it puts the children at a disadvantage. They're either taking a million GCSEs early or placed into college schemes to show they're a "forward thinking" school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    Everything's for the sake of league tables and it puts the children at a disadvantage. They're either taking a million GCSEs early or placed into college schemes to show they're a "forward thinking" school.
    THIS! I really wish I wasn't made to do an AS early. People should just do everything at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Are you sure he's doing an extra French GCSE? In my school, the "top" set were fasttracked and did French GCSE in year 9, then the AS level in year 11... maybe he's doing that?
    Yeah that's definitely what they meant. The year above us got to do fast track french, and they got to take the AS in year 11, so that's what I thought they meant at first. But no, the year 9s are definitely taking some sort of GCSE extension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    Edexcel is a $h!tty exam board, I don't like OCR much and AQA is OK. Im in Year 12 and last year most people in my year did 10-12 GCSEs a few did 13/14 but 10 was standard. They offer more GCSEs now than they did when I was choosing my subjects. At my school Triple Science wasn't offered they offered to the year below so I missed out but my sister who is Year 10 can do it. They also offer things like Travel & Tourism, they force it on the thick kids though.
    Yes, Edexcel is definitely my least favourite. Partly because the woman who does the dialogue on the music exam... her voice is painful enough for 5 minutes, let alone 90.
    We don't have an of the Travel & Tourism stuff, our only real dosses are ICT, Food & Nutrition and Media Studies. We have Drama but our school's performing arts department is like a cult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bron-winnie)
    Yes, Edexcel is definitely my least favourite. Partly because the woman who does the dialogue on the music exam... her voice is painful enough for 5 minutes, let alone 90.
    We don't have an of the Travel & Tourism stuff, our only real dosses are ICT, Food & Nutrition and Media Studies. We have Drama but our school's performing arts department is like a cult.
    my god, i hate edexcel music. And the way they pick music that makes me laugh! not a good thing to do in exams really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    THIS! I really wish I wasn't made to do an AS early. People should just do everything at the same time.
    Exactly, it does nothing for their CVs/UCAS forms. I know there's a girl who was a few years above us, taking French GCSE who wanted to get into Medical school. She was placed on the fastrack scheme, but the unis like to see you taking all your GCSEs at the end of year 11 so they know you can cope with the workload. She ended up having to study french with a lower set so she could take it at the end of year 11. Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry finally getting to the point now;
    Are the number of GCSEs being taken increasing all over the country, or is our school just trying to kill off its students?
    Since I completed my GCSEs, my school has decreased the number of GCSEs anyone is allowed to take - we used to get 3 extra options on top of compulsory ones, four maximum, now it's two. This is so the students can concentrate more on fewer subjects, therefore getting better grades and pushing our school up the league table (that's the theory anyway) - it's rubbish, and would've limited me so much if it'd been like that for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    my god, i hate edexcel music. And the way they pick music that makes me laugh! not a good thing to do in exams really.
    Same, my worst GCSE choice by a mile. Our invigilators can't work CD players so we do get a bit of amusement when they can't switch over the CDs half way through.
    And the music choices are... ahem, interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Since yr9 SATs have been scrapped and yr 7, 8 and 9 were almost wholly geared towards prepping students for it, a lot of schools are starting GCSEs earlier. The kids coming through the system now are getting a better opportunity to get a lot of good GCSEs tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Same, my worst GCSE choice by a mile. Our invigilators can't work CD players so we do get a bit of amusement when they can't switch over the CDs half way through.
    And the music choices are... ahem, interesting.
    I didnt even get to pick it, so there you go. it got forced upon me, being the only option still open that fitted my timetable... apart from "online learning" but really, what is that? :P

&+ aah, our invigilators are so funny! they all happen to be around 90+, so obviously anything like a CD player baffles them.. i took it a year early (and got a D, woot! ) and they had to call for ICT technicians halfway through... good times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Since yr9 SATs have been scrapped and yr 7, 8 and 9 were almost wholly geared towards prepping students for it, a lot of schools are starting GCSEs earlier. The kids coming through the system now are getting a better opportunity to get a lot of good GCSEs tbh.
    ooh yeah good point. I feel so proud to be a part of the year group which brought down SATS Even though it was the examiners not the students... And it completely mucked up my English grade which mucked up half of my GCSE predicted grades. Meh.

(Original post by juliewho)
    I didnt even get to pick it, so there you go. it got forced upon me, being the only option still open that fitted my timetable... apart from "online learning" but really, what is that? :P

&+ aah, our invigilators are so funny! they all happen to be around 90+, so obviously anything like a CD player baffles them.. i took it a year early (and got a D, woot! ) and they had to call for ICT technicians halfway through... good times
    I got the choice of PE or Music... I play football, I cycle regularly, I LOVE human biology, I am virtually in love with most of the PE department... so naturally I took music.

Hahaa! Our school exam officer wears trousers up to her breasts, and has a silver pudding bowl haircut, and most of the invigilators seem to follow her fashion sense. It's crazy. Also theres one who has a HUGE limp so makes a racket when he's walking up and down the eisles. And they all seem to smell really off.

ReputationRep:
    I got the choice of PE or Music... I play football, I cycle regularly, I LOVE human biology, I am virtually in love with most of the PE department... so naturally I took music.

Hahaa! Our school exam officer wears trousers up to her breasts, and has a silver pudding bowl haircut, and most of the invigilators seem to follow her fashion sense. It's crazy. Also theres one who has a HUGE limp so makes a racket when he's walking up and down the eisles. And they all seem to smell really off.
    PE gcses are compulsory for me anyway :| further three hours of a week wasted! + omg we have this crazy madly ginger lady who does the trouser thing too! but during my maths exam last year, she wasnt actually wearing a bra.. two people got taken out of the exam for laughing about her >.< + don't you just hate it when you have to ask for something extra? cause somehow, you always get the oldest, smelliest one, who then doesnt understand what you ask for and everyone looks at you for interrupting their exam. argh. D:

ReputationRep:
    I was only allowed to take 9 GCSEs. The year below me were allowed more options, but one of them had to be and AS and they start them in Year 9, finishing in Year 10. I'm so glad I missed out on that. Loads of people seem to be doing badly and it just seems like the school are doing it to be able to boast "Our Year 10s did all their GCSEs a year early and are now starting ASs!!1!!". It all seems completely pointless.

I hate league tables so much. That's all my school cares about.

ReputationRep:
    They decreased GCSEs at my school and replaced a lot of them with vocational courses.

They can do a qualification in retail but can't take both history and geography GCSEs. The combination I did would be impossible because they limited one column to history, geography, french etc. and put IT, art, leisure and tourism etc. in all the other columns.

I think that's really unfair actually on people who might not want to do vocational subjects

ReputationRep:
    It really varies from school to school, when I next see my brother I'll ask him what he's taking next year.

I'm pretty sure for English that it is English Language and English Literature, not English and English Literature. Some new thing where there are now 3 different GCSEs for English.

ReputationRep:
    When I took my GCSEs (2 years ago), I did 10 GCSEs plus an AS level, and I already had a GCSE and a GNVQ from year 9, so I don't think there's been an increase.

ReputationRep:
    I did about 10, on the pre 2000 GCSEs (which were easier than current GCSEs, especially for foreign languages), I would have to look at certificates to check for exact, but I also did tons during uni, so came out with 20+ I think.

ReputationRep:
    At my school the majority of students take 9 subjects.
    I am taking 10.5 (advanced maths and short-course ICT), but my headmaster insists that it is better to get 9 A* results than 10 A* results and an A, as far as getting into college or university is concerned. If thats all your interested in, it would seem you're better off than your brother. However if the highest grades are easily achievable for you then more GCSEs would give you a slight advantage.

As far as I know, 9 GCSEs is what most of my friends and schoolmates are taking now.

My school has invested energy into promoting BTECs and vocational qualifications, and as such I'm only leaving with:

8 GCSE Full Courses
    2 GCSE Short courses
    2 BTECs (ICT being compulsory; No GCSE alternative offered for Business Studies)
    An AS Science in Society

The school's focused on helping low achievers, to the extent of neglecting the more intelligent. Needless to say I'm not staying on at their 6th form.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.