Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We are one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Many of us have access to many luxuries such as computers, decent washing facillities, books, Televisions, social amneties and so on. We have a long, proud history. Tourists from all over flock to our shores to see such sights as Buckingham Palace, The houses of Parliament etc all signs of our rich culture. We live in a country where extreme forms of poverty are restricted to an unfortunate few, and the majority of poorer people have access to social help.

Compared to other countries, we have unprecedented amount of say in our Governments runnings. People are not killed or imprisoned for having socially deviant views. The list goes on, my point is with all this, why do people insist on consistantly searching for negative aspects of our country to moan about? Immigration, knife crime, the governments corrupt, kids are getting ruder, its dangerous to even go out side, blah blah blah blah!

There are people who live by picking scraps of metal out of land fill sites and yet some of us sit at our computers with our central heated houses or flats moaning about the abysmal state of life today!? How does this work?

I guess I just thought I'd add perspectove, comment.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1992)

Compared to other countries, we have unprecedented amount of say in our Governments runnings.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    People like to moan, in general. We'll always find something to complain about.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, OP. I love this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    People like to moan, in general. We'll always find something to complain about.
    ^^^ This. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Because it's going to the dogs...

And always has been, since the dawn of time.

ReputationRep:
    We do like to nitpick.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you're moaning...on an internet forum...filled of students who clearly give a damn.

ReputationRep:
    , why do people insist on consistantly searching for negative aspects of our country to moan about? Immigration, knife crime, the governments corrupt, kids are getting ruder, its dangerous to even go out side, blah blah blah blah!
    Because people don't want this in their country , We want somewere where we don't have to live with all of what you mentioned of course people are going to moan about it because they don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    How so?
    if we do not like something we can vote. We can also start pressure groups to try and get change. Yes this is limited, but surely far greater say in government goings on compared to the rest of the world?

ReputationRep:
    i absolutely love this country, i just think its becoming spoilt by the governments slack immegration policies. e.g. Poland......at the hospital i work at they have signs written in english anf polish, nothin else, and i live in what is considered the country. i love culture but i sadly feel like a tourist when i go shopping near where i work because none of the workers speak good english and lots of polish people walk around me in herds pushing past me to get to the reduced section :s no joke that actually happened to me last week!

ReputationRep:
    plus i now get taxed a 40% which i hate so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    We're british. What else would we do?

ReputationRep:
    Well there are a couple of European countries I'd rather live in (which I intend to do after uni) but you're right to an extent. People arent happy unless they're miserable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    How so?
    Democracy! :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I like it here.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we have a pretty good lifestyle. People moan when they see incompetent or corrupt politicians making sure that it won't last.

Also, having an 'unprecedented' input in comparison to other countries doesn't really make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)
    Because people don't want this in their country , We want somewere where we don't have to live with all of what you mentioned of course people are going to moan about it because they don't like it.
    I meant to add to that.
    Do they really exist to the same extent that people moan about them?

Most major cities have that danger value. A civilised and calm country by many peoples standards, Canada, has areas of major cities such as Toronto that are plagued by the same dangers we have in our country. If you live in a majorly rough area such as Tottenham or Aston and join a gang, then yes, you are in danger of being stabbed, shot or whatever, but for those who are not in gangs, never mind those living in rural towns, should not be moaning about crime just because it exists in a tiny spot in a major city miles from them.

I wont go into immigration in too much detail because thats a seperate discussion.

Many of the items I said are simply exaggerated, and its not purely the media's fault. We carry on this belief that we are all in danger from gun toting feral youths and immigrants steal our jobs.

We have an amazing little country so why all the negativity? You want to complain about gun crime? go to Somalia, You want to complain about immigration? Go Austrailia and sympathize with the abourginees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uni4med)
    i absolutely love this country, i just think its becoming spoilt by the governments slack immegration policies. e.g. Poland......at the hospital i work at they have signs written in english anf polish, nothin else, and i live in what is considered the country. i love culture but i sadly feel like a tourist when i go shopping near where i work because none of the workers speak good english and lots of polish people walk around me in herds pushing past me to get to the reduced section :s no joke that actually happened to me last week!
    well surely that can be interpreted that all the foreigners are doing all the crap jobs so we dont have to. They are desperate to get to the reduced section because they have very little money from their badly paid jobs.

I have actually been to Krakow in Poland, Marmaris in Turkey and Rome in Italy to find signs in English? Although I like the fact that you love this country, I feel our opinions on immigration differ. I believe that despite being one of the first european countries to encourage immigration to our country in the 20th century, we actually have a smaller amount of immigrants then say, spain.

ReputationRep:
    Do they really exist to the same extent that people moan about them?

Most major cities have that danger value. A civilised and calm country by many peoples standards, Canada, has areas of major cities such as Toronto that are plagued by the same dangers we have in our country. If you live in a majorly rough area such as Tottenham or Aston and join a gang, then yes, you are in danger of being stabbed, shot or whatever, but for those who are not in gangs, never mind those living in rural towns, should not be moaning about crime just because it exists in a tiny spot in a major city miles from them.
    Yes they do exist to a extent that people moan it due to people being affected by it directly.

My cousin was mugged in a posh area where he lives he's not in a gang yet was still affected by crime so of course he's going to moan about it.

Everyone can moan about crime , Why should people walk down a road in fear of danger happening to them.

You want to complain about gun crime? go to Somalia, You want to complain about immigration? Go Austrailia and sympathize with the abourginees.
    But I'm not affected by gun crime in Somalia so why would I go there , Same applys with Australia I don't live there therefore I have no reason to complain about it.

Bring back tougher penalities I say.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.