The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
One word.

Labour.
compared to other countries I have been to, this country is s***
Sadly, Britain is becoming a dump. There's no way to cap immigration thanks to the EU and it seems that there is an infinite number of illegal immigrants coming here as well as the legal ones which are filling up our already vastly overcrowded country. If someone speaks out against the huge numbers of immigrants, they're a racist, if someone flies St George's Cross, they are not respecting other people's heritage.

Teenagers go out every night of the week to get alcohol, because our alcohol laws are fairly strict compared to the rest of Europe, and when teenagers are wrecked out of their heads, they stab innocent men, destroy property and become foul mouthed to anyone who happens to be walking by.

The government seems intent on micro managing every little aspect of our lives, what we do on the internet, what we say in public, what we get up to in our free time.

The welfare state, imagined by Bevridge and co, has spiralled out of control, with low life scum crawling in from all over the country to pick up benefits because they can't keep their bloody legs closed, while the people who actually need the help either don't get what they so desperately need or are too proud to come forward.

Oh, and we're rubbish at sports.
Reply 23
shark67
One word.

Labour.

You may think this a clever comment but it just highlights what I am on about. As if voting conservatives or liberal democrats is going to change anything. Each party brings both successes and its share of **** ups. The successes get ignored and the failures are in part a result of trying to satisfy the public, who will pounce on whatever outcome as just anotehr reason to berate the running of this country.

Its not like running the affairs of 60 million people is a walk in the park.
Splodger
Yes they do exist to a extent that people moan it due to people being affected by it directly.

But I'm not affected by gun crime in Somalia so why would I go there , Same applys with Australia I don't live there therefore I have no reason to complain about it.

Bring back tougher penalities I say.

yes but you weren't mugged so it doesn't effect you does it?:confused: You are also not effected by inner city knife gang which bar very few instances, causes death to only those in gangs, so by the logic which you have presented, you should not be worried.

And unless you plan on starting a stimulating and rewarding career making sandwiches for BA, mixing cement all day, working in a corner shop etc etc, you shoudlnt have that much of a problem with immigration?
az1992
We are one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Many of us have access to many luxuries such as computers, decent washing facillities, books, Televisions, social amneties and so on. We have a long, proud history. Tourists from all over flock to our shores to see such sights as Buckingham Palace, The houses of Parliament etc all signs of our rich culture. We live in a country where extreme forms of poverty are restricted to an unfortunate few, and the majority of poorer people have access to social help.

Compared to other countries, we have unprecedented amount of say in our Governments runnings. People are not killed or imprisoned for having socially deviant views. The list goes on, my point is with all this, why do people insist on consistantly searching for negative aspects of our country to moan about? Immigration, knife crime, the governments corrupt, kids are getting ruder, its dangerous to even go out side, blah blah blah blah!

There are people who live by picking scraps of metal out of land fill sites and yet some of us sit at our computers with our central heated houses or flats moaning about the abysmal state of life today!? How does this work?

I guess I just thought I'd add perspectove, comment.......

The grass is always greener. Quality of life has actually increased substantially over the past century, but the more people have the more they moan.
Reply 25
az1992
We are one of the wealthiest countries in the world. Many of us have access to many luxuries such as computers, decent washing facillities, books, Televisions, social amneties and so on. We have a long, proud history. Tourists from all over flock to our shores to see such sights as Buckingham Palace, The houses of Parliament etc all signs of our rich culture. We live in a country where extreme forms of poverty are restricted to an unfortunate few, and the majority of poorer people have access to social help.

Compared to other countries, we have unprecedented amount of say in our Governments runnings. People are not killed or imprisoned for having socially deviant views. The list goes on, my point is with all this, why do people insist on consistantly searching for negative aspects of our country to moan about? Immigration, knife crime, the governments corrupt, kids are getting ruder, its dangerous to even go out side, blah blah blah blah!

There are people who live by picking scraps of metal out of land fill sites and yet some of us sit at our computers with our central heated houses or flats moaning about the abysmal state of life today!? How does this work?

I guess I just thought I'd add perspectove, comment.......

Blame it on the weather. The only country where you can have four seasons on the same day, *****.
Reply 26
gingergooner
The grass is always greener. Quality of life has actually increased substantially over the past century, but the more people have the more they moan.

Perhaps the most relevant reply I have had, I just dont understand why we take everything for granted?
It's the British thing to do! We love to complain :smile:
Lately it's justified though, this country is nowhere near as good as it used to be...and I now (unfortunately) class it as a deprived country, not a prosperous one. I've been to places that make coming back to the UK feel like a return to a third world nation.

The ONLY thing keeping the UK on the map is London being a global financial capital (not for long though, introduction of banker taxes will inevitably lead to all the talent moving out) and because politically the UK bends over for USA and licks its ass. It's only these two things that make this country of any significance. Sadly the UK serves the third world better than its own people.
Reply 28
moregano
People like to moan, in general. We'll always find something to complain about.

yes pretty much this
Reply 29
moregano
People like to moan, in general. We'll always find something to complain about.

I love your avator!
We are quite highly taxed, which is bad, and the other main reason is the weather, it natrually depresses people. Its true, i read it in one of those 'Britan most unhappy county in Europe' features in the paper.
Because we are materialistic in the extreme, we are miserable, we have miserable weather, we have miserable people, we are fairly selfish, we are known for being obsessed with our careers (having a fast, work orientated lifestyle), we are binge drinkers, we are always depressed, we have problems with the kids of today.. the list goes on. :biggrin: Of course, there are great things about this country too. :P
Everyone loves a good moan...people are happy being miserable. It could be worse....we could all be deliriously happy ALL of the time....<shudder>
az1992
Perhaps the most relevant reply I have had, I just dont understand why we take everything for granted?

Its all we've ever known. Post World Wars people had very little, so in the 50s there was a culture of living a simple life in a simple house and eating simply and using the bare minimum of your resources because they were brought up to be guilty for indulging. This generation has been brought up in a culture of complete over-indulgence, and thus its the opposite. I sound like an old grandad saying this, but its true to some extent.
Playboy King

Lately it's justified though, this country is nowhere near as good as it used to be...

I'm intrigued, when was the mystical time the UK was much much better?
Black Mammoth

Oh, and we're rubbish at sports.

Yeah, so rubbish that in the last decade we've finally won not one but two Ashes series, come 4th in the medals table at the last Olympics (athletics, rowing, cycling, boxing, sailing, equestrian sport, swimming even...), won the rugby world cup, had Britons win the last two F1 drivers' championships, had some notable boxing victories...
az1992
but surely far greater say in government goings on compared to the rest of the world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland#Direct_democracy
touchofclass
I'm intrigued, when was the mystical time the UK was much much better?

1800s, back when we used to rule the nations of the world :cool: which ofcourse led to a century of uninterrupted global trade dominance. The British empire ruled 1/4 of the world's population, that's power beyond all proportions. From a political/economic perspective Britain was thriving :sogood:
There'll probably be a time in the 2050s when us old 'uns are looking back at the time oil was plentiful, consumers goods were cheap and Britain still held a disproportionate amount of global power in relation to its size, and declare 2050s Britain to now be terrible and 'not like the good old days'.

Not to belittle the problems there are, they are obviously substantial and I'm sure if I lived in a sink estate I wouldn't be as generous in my outlook. But in relation to recent history and other countries in the world, Britain is generally pretty ok, unless of course you're a head in the clouds imperialist who believes we should still have an empire that rules the world.

Moans about the problems in Britain are fine if that's what floats your boat, but sometimes people need to get a grip and a sense of perspective if they're going to make ridiculous statements such as this one:

Playboy King
I now (unfortunately) class it as a deprived country,
Playboy King
1800s, back when we used to rule the nations of the world :cool: which ofcourse led to a century of uninterrupted global trade dominance. The British empire ruled 1/4 of the world's population, that's power beyond all proportions. From a political/economic perspective Britain was thriving :sogood:

Ah so you are a head in the clouds imperialist.

You do realise that in terms of quality of life, 21st century Britain is lightyears ahead of 19th century? Would your pride in the empire really console you as your life was ravaged by disease and poverty?

Latest

Trending

Trending