Turn on thread page Beta

really confused and quite stressed! watch

ReputationRep:
    hi there TSR!

i have heard about this website/forum about helping out young and old students, so i have came here to try and clear my mind and to hopefully shed some light on my current situation!

i am a young student, 19 years of age and i have been eligable for all grants and loans:

-the 2700 loan
    -the 2700 grant
    -the busaries for when they come.

i am still living at home as my campuss is just a few miles away so i thought i'd save a bit of cash for my second year.

but anyways, i'm quite stressed and confused as my parents recieved a letter this morning about me having to pay some sort of fees. my parents aren't rich by any means and have been made redundant so they're currently on job seekers. they have help and get help paying the rent...

now, because i am getting around 6400 in total, 2700 needs to be payed back - i have been told that my parents may not get as much help as before and i need to step in and start paying for rent because i am living at home with all this funding.

dont take me wrong, i should pay for it, but i already do - i give my parents 30 a week to help them out and sometimes more if they need it. but now i may be forced to pay alot more by the council!

this is really stressing me out as i wanted to save quite alot for my second year. can any1 shed any light on my situation - especially if i'll need to pay more. i dont have a job at the moment if that gives anyone any info on helping me.

help is greatly appreciated and hope to feel better soon

thanks, TNL

p.s. sorry for the long read.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has to pay tuition fees of £3225 this year and £3290 next year. This can be applied for as a loan and everyone who applies gets it. Did you apply for it? You can also apply for a maintenance loan which is partly means tested and further maintenance grants which are also means tested.Your figures for loans and grants are incorrect.
    I suggets you read here carefully
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm

ReputationRep:
    i have recieved my loan. 2 parts of it which is around the 1800-1900 mark

i have recieved my grant. 2 parts which is again around the 1800-1900 mark

my tuition fees have gone through
    my busaries have gone through

basically, im just wondering, apart from rent to my parents, will i need to pay the council anything as i've recieved these funds and i am living at home. im thinking this as my parents recieved a letter about me having to pay something each week to the council. im getting stressed as i think i may have to pay alot.

thanks, Carl.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you asked for the bigger maintenance loan for living away from home then lived at home I don't know what the council can expect you to pay. Even if you owed money it would be to the Student Loans Company not the council. What is the council say you are having to pay for? I can't see how your student loans could possibly have an effect on any benefits your parents may be entitled to. Are you a student in England?

ReputationRep:
    none independant housing/rent as im still living with the parents
    council tax

my parents get help paying the rent by the council so i may need to pay some of what the council usually pays.

i didnt get the larger loan as i stated on the pff1 form that im living at home.

ReputationRep:
    council tax? You're a student, you don't pay it.
    Get along to citizens' advice in the morning and see if they can shed any light on it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNorthernLad)
    none independant housing/rent as im still living with the rents
    council tax

my parents get help paying the rent by the council so i may need to pay some of what the council usually pays.
    Unfortunately for you, this is a completely fair request - you're an adult living in the house and should contribute as such. You do have the funding to, as you're able to save, so you need to accept that you can't save your own money whilst the council pay your rent.

As a student, though, you don't pay council tax.

ReputationRep:
    thanks alot for that cpj.

do you think that it will be alot? or does it entirely depends on where we live and the current rent the council are paying?
    i did originaly think that i didnt have to pay council tax, but then i started thinking, 'what if'

ReputationRep:
    on a second thought...

the loan is what i need to pay back... so what if i cancelled my loan?
    the maintenance grant is for me to live on as i dont have a job, could i just keep the grant to help me through my first year and scrap the loan?
    because if i have both the council will definatly make me pay and if i have 1 then im unlikely to pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNorthernLad)
    thanks alot for that cpj.

do you think that it will be alot? or does it entirely depends on where we live and the current rent the council are paying?
    i did originaly think that i didnt have to pay council tax, but then i started thinking, 'what if'
    It'll likely depend on your current rental costs, yes - what the council are paying to cover the rent. It's best to get in touch with them A.S.A.P. and discuss the situation to get a personal assessment/payment plan.

Make sure you do point out your student status if they don't already seem fully aware of it. You shouldn't be held responsible for council tax, as you're exempt (though you'll need to fill in forms for this, most likely), and it may help you come to a reasonable agreement for additional rent payments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    council tax? You're a student, you don't pay it.
    Get along to citizens' advice in the morning and see if they can shed any light on it for you.
    Your right, Student dont pay for anything!

ReputationRep:
    i should have just stayed on campuss - would have been much more fun and then i wouldnt be giving money to the council, but to the property landlords instead...

thanks for your help cheryl its greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOV3R)
    Your right, Student dont pay for anything!
    very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    i have done a bit of research and i have found out that i will need to pay an extra £7.40 a week as well as £30 or so a week to help my parents.

according to a government website, if i have under £120 a week i will need to pay this, an the more i have the more i will need to pay.

2700 or so + another 2700 or = 5400. (grant and loan) these aren't 100% accurate but just a rough estimate
    5400/52 = roughly 104...

so for my grants and loans i have £104 p/w to live on. which equates to me paying that extra £7.40 p/w to the council.
    im quite glad its this much, not too much to worry about and i can still save a bit.

once again, thanks everyone for your help!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.