Turn on thread page Beta

Used to have facebook-deleted it-should i get it back watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsp911)
    Makes it a lot easier to find someone who may not necessarily want you to find them! And with google street view as well... ahh I'm getting paranoid :woo: ha ha
    but how likely is it that your face would have been recorded by google street view? :curious:

or am i missing the point here?

ReputationRep:
    I deleted (not deactivated) it after one of my friends decided to trawl through it in search of a particular piece of information I didn't see fit to tell her. It was rather the final straw.

I know Facebook is supposed to be about networking, but I think it's good for creating common fora for your close friends to discuss things - so I might set up a new account and only add 10/20 friends so I can use it in that way.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like Facebook, don't use it - simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    How do you delete it? I thought you could only deactivate it [although have heard of people deleting it] unless the words are getting mixed up - dunno? Think you should have to option to be able to tbh. =/ I'm not thinking of doing it anytime soon, but don't plan on keeping it forever. I guess it is extremely useful, though, but things change over the years and I don't like having just about everything on facebook - I'd rather just have my student days on there. Then perhaps move onto emails and things I used previously.

Anyway, I'm rambling - OP, I think it's a useful thing to have when we're this age just to arrange events and keep in the know and the like. You don't have to log in all the time, after all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkle243)
    but I felt totally exposed when I was on it, and for that reason don't want to return:confused: :confused:

Are you suspicious of people that don't have facebook, what do you think of them
    Change settings to make more private?

I don't have Facebook, and out of the many various reactions expressed towards this I don't think "suspicion" is one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dichr0ic)
    but how likely is it that your face would have been recorded by google street view? :curious:

or am i missing the point here?
    haha no I just meant in general how our privacy is slowly being eroded ! And some people aren't helping themselves ! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dsp911)
    haha no I just meant in general how our privacy is slowly being eroded ! And some people aren't helping themselves ! :rolleyes:
    yeah! the amount of profiles i've seen that are just wide open!

:sogood: though

ReputationRep:
    I had a facebook account for only 3 months, then deleted it because it was so boring. waste of time really.
    If you want to share photos with your friends, you can simply send them attached by e-mail. I don't want to know what my friends are doing at every moment. I remember people used to write things like: "today I will buy a new T-shirt, tomorrow I'm on a date, on the week-end I'm going to sleep with...". SO WHAT?! :cannon:

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it, man. It was crap the first time round.. what makes you think it's going to be any different now.

ReputationRep:
    I like Facebook It's a good way of sharing photos / chatting / procrastinating and such.

Plus, my friends and I have generally avoided the constant, incessant photo taking just so we look popular on FB - a few once in a while but that's it.

ReputationRep:
    i went further than deactivating my fb and deleted it, but it didn't last long, because some of my friends have started using it as a primary source of communication, its also good if you change your phone number, i think i was much more productive when i had it deleted, i think its advantages have a positive correlation to the number of friends, but yeah this post makes me think if i should just delete it again, if it was a real book it might of started collecting dust

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.