Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i saw this on MSN today and couldn't find another thread so i thought i would start one up.

A primary school has been criticised after banning Valentine cards to save pupils from the emotional trauma of being rejected.

Children at Ashcombe Primary School in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, were banned from celebrating Valentine's Day or exchanging cards because the head teacher said they are not emotionally mature enough to cope.

Peter Turner wrote to parents of the 430 pupils, aged between five and 11, warning that cards will be confiscated.

He said that children get upset when they are "dumped" which interrupts their learning.

Children should wait until they are mature enough emotionally and socially to understand the commitment in having a boyfriend or girlfriend, he said.
    http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/arti...849&ocid=today This is the full article.

I personally think that its not a bad idea at all. It doesn't really matter one way or the other, but i think that the school really do have a point. Valentine's Day creates a potentially awkward social situation for kids and, lets face it, kids can be very mean and 'tact' isn't really something they have developed. Kids that young don't need to be worrying about relationships and getting dumped, or worrying about what might happen if no-one gives them a card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Valentine's Day creates a potentially awkward social situation for kids and, lets face it, kids can be very mean and 'tact' isn't really something they have developed. Kids that young don't need to be worrying about relationships and getting dumped, or worrying about what might happen if no-one gives them a card.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is a rare victory for common sense or PC gone mad, so outraged am I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    I'm not sure if this is a rare victory for common sense or PC gone mad, so outraged am I.
    Definitely the former .

I think it's a really good idea tbh. If it was a Secondary school I'd take issue, but I actually agree with the reasoning behind it regarding primary aged children.

ReputationRep:
    I think its ridiculous. When I was at school (in America until age 9) we had to give everyone in the class a valentines, it was a friendship thing. When I moved to the UK Valentines day was just lulz, some kids would get anonymous ones and we'd be like omg! Peter loves you! blah blah and if you didn't get one you lied and said you got 5. Relationships at that age aren't "real" relationships, its a bit of fun, why not let them enjoy it and have a laugh. It also helps them learn more about relationships.

ReputationRep:

nuff said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    LOL

Thanks for sharing.

ReputationRep:
    Thats really sad to hear, why are schools becoming so damn annoying these days..

ReputationRep:
    Hello stupid... for anyone who heard it on the radio this morning :p:

If they can't understand the emotions involved in relationships then hows it gona hurt them to receive/ not receive a card?

ReputationRep:
    wtf...do primary school children even 'do' valentine's day in the first place? The closest thing to romance we ever had was kiss-chase and two really odd kids who held hands and were 'going out'.

ReputationRep:
    The kids arn't "emotionally mature enough to cope".

So how do they become emotionally mature? They don't. Most people learn the hard way, but if the schools banning it.. they're lessering the development of the kids, imho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Hello stupid... for anyone who heard it on the radio this morning :p:

If they can't understand the emotions involved in relationships then hows it gona hurt them to receive/ not receive a card?

Many people are getting and giving cards. You don't understand the cards but you can clearly see that the people who are receiving cards are very happy because of the cards, and are excited. You also see that no-one has given you one of these cards.

Thats all it takes.

ReputationRep:
    I used to love Valentine's day in primary school because we'd have red heart cookies and our head teacher would tell us the story behind Valentine's day and why we had it and it was always quite an arty day. It was fun why don't they do something else to celebrate it like lots of art and cookies and stories. At least teach the kids what Valentine's day is about and why it exists etc. I hope they don't ban Valentines day altogether!

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

schools are getting worse

ReputationRep:
    Lets encourage kids to be scared of their emotions. Lets keep our kids insular and ignorant to the reality of the world so they can not have a progressive exposure to valuable motifs that arise from relatively trivial social occassions.

YEAH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StokeKez)

nuff said
    Couldn't agree more with the photo.

On topic though, I think it's useful that young children learn how to cope with disappointment, most people learn the hard way, just the way it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Many people are getting and giving cards. You don't understand the cards but you can clearly see that the people who are receiving cards are very happy because of the cards, and are excited. You also see that no-one has given you one of these cards.

Thats all it takes.
    So when you see that it is someone elses birthday you get jealous are ruin the occassion for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    wtf...do primary school children even 'do' valentine's day in the first place? The closest thing to romance we ever had was kiss-chase and two really odd kids who held hands and were 'going out'.
    This. Maybe we were just sheltered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StokeKez)

nuff said

I think I win. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    ******* hell. I loved v-day in primary school! We used to make everyone in the class a card and hide it in the trays under their desks. It's innocent fun, all this bull about saving them from rejection or whatever is just ridiculous!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.