Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StokeKez)
    (Original post by CB91)
    :love:

Valentines day was always fun in Primary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Lets encourage kids to be scared of their emotions. Lets keep our kids insular and ignorant to the reality of the world so they can not have a progressive exposure to valuable motifs that arise from relatively trivial social occassions.

YEAH.
    Well thats a fair point if what kids did with VD was actually representative of what happens in the real world. Its not. Therefore it serves no purpose other than giving some kids a flurry of excitement and others a pretty hefty rejection (not hefty to us, but crusihng for an 8 year old).

Either way, its distracting kids, so why shouldnt schools ban it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    ******* hell. I loved v-day in primary school! We used to make everyone in the class a card and hide it in the trays under their desks. It's innocent fun, all this bull about saving them from rejection or whatever is just ridiculous!
    :mad: Send me a card or I'll take you to court for causing me emotional harm.

ReputationRep:
    So when you see that it is someone elses birthday you get jealous are ruin the occassion for them?
    Nope. Kids understand birthdays and realise that one kid in the class has a special day. Then at one point, the special day is theirs and they get cards.

With valentines day, many people are getting cards and all a child would see is them not receiving something that the majority of his/her peers are receiving. This would be pretty isolating no?

ReputationRep:
    What?!

Why is everybody supporting this rubbish?

It's a bit of fun for kids, they get to feel a bit grown up and enjoy something else for a change... if we're banning things because it hurts some people there there are a billion and one things at the top of my mind now that could do with banning in schools!

Geez; the ugly kid gets in the way of the fun again. Hmph. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Well thats a fair point if what kids did with VD was actually representative of what happens in the real world. Its not. Therefore it serves no purpose other than giving some kids a flurry of excitement and others a pretty hefty rejection (not hefty to us, but crusihng for an 8 year old).

Either way, its distracting kids, so why shouldnt schools ban it?
    Well where is the freaking evidence that kids give 2 ***** if they don't get a card?
    Where is the evidence to say that not receiving a card causes some kind of trauma or feeling of rejection?
    Where is the evidence to say more people find valentines day traumatic than emotionally rewarding?

Furthermore, if you stand by the point that children are not emotionally mature enough to understand the cards then why would they feel a great degree of "rejection"? Surely if you want to say this you are inferring that neither positive or negative emotion has a significant effect and I would argue that the overwhelming majority of primary school kids would just enjoy it and probably hold no lasting memories.

Live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    I think its pathetic. It just seems that those in any position of authority are hellbent on stripping the joy out of everything. And anyway, with all this "rejection" talk - if a child suffers emotional trauma because they didnt get a Valentines Day card, they are going to suffer tremendously when they're rejected from jobs and relationships and God knows what else in adulthood.

ReputationRep:
    Many people are getting and giving cards. You don't understand the cards but you can clearly see that the people who are receiving cards are very happy because of the cards, and are excited. You also see that no-one has given you one of these cards.

Thats all it takes.
    All it takes for what? We gona ban holding hands at school so single 10 year olds don't feel left out? We gona stop christmas cards being given out at school incase some kids get less than others? We gona ban school discos so single kids don't see couples hanging around?

Seriously, it's just one day a year where people can show affection or whatever by sending a card. If you cn't handle that, how the hell will you cope with life?

ReputationRep:
    Well where is the freaking evidence that kids give 2 ***** if they don't get a card?
    Where is the evidence to say that not receiving a card causes some kind of trauma or feeling of rejection?
    Where is the evidence to say more people find valentines day traumatic than emotionally rewarding?

Furthermore, if you stand by the point that children are not emotionally mature enough to understand the cards then why would they feel a great degree of "rejection"? Surely if you want to say this you are inferring that neither positive or negative emotion has a significant effect and I would argue that the overwhelming majority of primary school kids would just enjoy it and probably hold no lasting memories.

Live and let live.
    You want "freaking evidence". I'm not sure how i could get you evidence, freaking or otherwise, of something like this. I guess some common sense and lateral thinking might get you there though.

Secondly, you misunderstand the term "emotional maturity". It does not mean "the ability to feel emotion in a situation". It means "the ability to react appropriately to emotional situations".

If no-one gave you a VD card and all your friends got one, i'm sure you would be dissappointed. However you would just shrug it off and it would be no big deal, something that you would hardly think twice about. This is because you are more emotioally mature. A child would not have that level of maturity and would not be able to react in such an adult way.

Thirdly, no-one is claiming that VD is going to psychologically mess any kids up for life. The argument in the article was that it was distracting and did not create a good working environment. I cannot imagine any authority who could see this any clearer than a school could, and it seems pretty obvious. Any occurence that causes a large effect on children, positive or negative, would distract them from school work.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's rubbish
    Confiscating cards? How harsh is that?
    Tbh, when I was in primary, I don't remember anyone being emotionally traumatized by Valentine's Day. I think it's a day of fun where you can be creative and tell someone you ~like them.
    Plus, saying they're not emotionally ready to cope with relationships? But they're emotionally mature enough to feel rejected in that way? Can't have it both ways.
    Tbh - I think a 16 year old who breaks up from a "serious" relationship is going to be a bit more upset than an 8 year old, who'll get distracted by playing British Bulldog five minutes later.

But that's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    All it takes for what? We gona ban holding hands at school so single 10 year olds don't feel left out? We gona stop christmas cards being given out at school incase some kids get less than others? We gona ban school discos so single kids don't see couples hanging around?

Seriously, it's just one day a year where people can show affection or whatever by sending a card. If you cn't handle that, how the hell will you cope with life?
    Oh don't worry, i can cope. However 8 year old kids are much less able to cope than i am. Kids have plenty of time to grow up and learn how to "cope with life", but at primary school they do not have these skills. Coping with life is irrelevant as kids in primary just don't need to have such skills.

And you cant ban everything like that. However VD is disruptive within schools and its "extra". It surves no useful purpose, so i think it should be well within the rights of a school to ban the cards in the same way that it might ban Pokemon cards or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone saw this discussion on the wright stuff (yesterday? might have been today...) the majority of the parents at that school were against the decision and thought it was stupid. What gives the headteacher the right to ban this when the parents are in favour of the kids celebrating valentines day?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the school. I had the most humiliating experience of my life last year, and I can only imagine it is worse for children who don't fully understand it. Valentine's Day has always seemed like an excuse for bullying.

ReputationRep:
    :mad: Send me a card or I'll take you to court for causing me emotional harm.
    It's under your desk sweetcheeks. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    If anyone saw this discussion on the wright stuff (yesterday? might have been today...) the majority of the parents at that school were against the decision and thought it was stupid. What gives the headteacher the right to ban this when the parents are in favour of the kids celebrating valentines day?
    The fact that the headteacher is..well...the headteacher.

Its like saying "what gives the law the right to ban cannabis when most teenagers are in favour of its legality?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fidelity_blue)
    I think it's rubbish
    Confiscating cards? How harsh is that?
    Tbh, when I was in primary, I don't remember anyone being emotionally traumatized by Valentine's Day. I think it's a day of fun where you can be creative and tell someone you ~like them.
    Plus, saying they're not emotionally ready to cope with relationships? But they're emotionally mature enough to feel rejected in that way? Can't have it both ways.
    Tbh - I think a 16 year old who breaks up from a "serious" relationship is going to be a bit more upset than an 8 year old, who'll get distracted by playing British Bulldog five minutes later.

But that's just my opinion.
    Your opinion is correct.

Honestly, has TSR gone mad?? I can't believe so many people seem to be supporting this.

ReputationRep:
    tis just a bit of excitement at that age! so no, dont think they should be banned imo

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't worry, i can cope. However 8 year old kids are much less able to cope than i am. Kids have plenty of time to grow up and learn how to "cope with life", but at primary school they do not have these skills. Coping with life is irrelevant as kids in primary just don't need to have such skills.

And you cant ban everything like that. However VD is disruptive within schools and its "extra". It surves no useful purpose, so i think it should be well within the rights of a school to ban the cards in the same way that it might ban Pokemon cards or something like that.
    I was directing 'you' at any affected person, not you :yy:

Yeh you're right, they do have plenty of time to grow up. So why ban things which kids think are fun just because the odd one might feel left out? You can't possibly ban everything which could make someone feel left out and it would be stupid to do that.

Why is VD disruptive? I can understand why pokermon cards were banned - in our school at least - as this was an everyday thing, VD happens once a year and is pretty much forgotten on most other days... except maybe a day or two after when they try to work out who the card's from :rolleyes: Why should we ban a once a year event for being disruptive?

Aside from this, where has it VD actually caused any emotional stress to a child? I've never heard of it and certainly never witnessed it. So why ban somehing which causes no harm?

ReputationRep:
    You want "freaking evidence". I'm not sure how i could get you evidence, freaking or otherwise, of something like this. I guess some common sense and lateral thinking might get you there though.

Secondly, you misunderstand the term "emotional maturity". It does not mean "the ability to feel emotion in a situation". It means "the ability to react appropriately to emotional situations".

If no-one gave you a VD card and all your friends got one, i'm sure you would be dissappointed. However you would just shrug it off and it would be no big deal, something that you would hardly think twice about. This is because you are more emotioally mature. A child would not have that level of maturity and would not be able to react in such an adult way.

Thirdly, no-one is claiming that VD is going to psychologically mess any kids up for life. The argument in the article was that it was distracting and did not create a good working environment. I cannot imagine any authority who could see this any clearer than a school could, and it seems pretty obvious. Any occurence that causes a large effect on children, positive or negative, would distract them from school work.
    To your second point - I do not at all. People react to different situations in different ways; this is just a part of life. Just because a kid is subject to a negative emotion does mean that it is bad for them. Whether we like it or not exposure to social interactions and various are vital to the progression to a state of maturity where one can comprehend and rationalise to a greater degree.

To your third point - Would you propose not encouraging the celebration and or education about of christmas, easter, divali and so on?We give each cards and gifts for these events too.
    Primary School is not a place where students have to simply jump through hoops to achieve certain grades - They are there to learn about social interaction. There is a good balance between creating literate and numerically competant kids as well as teaching them to be able to communicate with others.
    It is not a "distraction" from school work, it is part of what they are there for - Understanding emotion and overcoming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Your opinion is correct.

Honestly, has TSR gone mad?? I can't believe so many people seem to be supporting this.
    That's what I thought! I was expecting to see loads of replies like "This is rubbish!"
    And then everyone agreed and I was actually shocked!
    Hehe, maybe the members of TSR never got any luvin' and are bitter :p:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.